• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Quintessential Jim Grobe/Wake Forest Football Game

Newman is a mystery to me. Years down the road we'll look at his stats and say, "hey, he was pretty good." But watching him, he's been an afterthought on this team for 3 years and I can't think of a single kick he's made in a key situation. Hate to rip him, as I'm sure he feels like dogshit tonight, but it's true. The fact that he holds the school record for most consecutive made FGs is unbelievable. Hell, he's even missed a couple of extra points this year that have turned out to be killers.

I first want to say that holding a 14-point game in the third quarter, we should have won. No escaping that.

That being said, the reason that we had that lead on top-10 team in a place that we haven't won in 12 years is because Clemson and Tajh Boyd in particular was playing like shit.

Think about the two scores that put us up. We get a punt return TD when we haven't had one in 4 years, so I think it's safe to say that Clemson might have had a coverage issue. Then Clemson fumbles the ball deep in its own territory and gives us a short field and easy score. Even when we were leading, it's not like we were playing particularly well, and there was too much time to be able to count on that level of play getting us a win.

It's easy to look at it from a Wake-centric point of view as a Wake fan, but the honest truth is that Boyd played a lot better in the fourth quarter and Clemson showed why they were a better team than us.

It's the curse of Grobe. How many people would have taken honestly taken Wake + 3.5 before the game? Just like how many people would have bet on us having 5+ wins this year before the season? When you win, people keep raising expectations quickly and always wanting more to the point that any step backwards is now causes you to be more upset than if you had never been given the hope in the first place. Thinking rationally, it's absurd to be upset with where we are right now.

I am upset that we lost. This one hurt more than any one in the past three or four years. But at the same time, we still have the opportunity to do what I'm betting 75% of the people didn't think we would do this year, and that's make a bowl game. We are going to finish second in our division when we were picked last. And a large reason for that is our coaching staff, despite how much they are getting skewered on here.

Flame away

Yeah this is spot on. Boyd was playing like crap until they were down 14 and then he played great. It helps when you have a solid offensive line and giant fucking WRs and TEs to throw jump balls to. Our D is ok but we can't stop that offense, in Clemson, when they are clicking. We also couldn't establish a deep pass game and Clemson just stacked the box, pressed the WRs, and blitzed and shut us down on the last few drives.

Here's the brutal reality about Wake Forest football:

As a small private school with tough academics and no fan base outside of our own (very small) alumni base, we will NEVER recruit the depth of quality talent that the big state schools can.

Consequently, it doesn't matter who the damn coach is, there is a hard ceiling on what we will ever accomplish in football.

Which means that it is ridiculous to pay Jim Grobe or any other head coach 2.5million dollars a year, which is more than Frank Beamer makes, because Jim Grobe will never accomplish, year-in, year-out, what Frank Beamer does. And if Frank Beamer were at Wake, he would not do any better than Grobe. The ceiling is institutional, not personal.

So we should hire relatively unknown, but well-regarded and competent coaches, who will be happy to work for 500-800,000 dollars a year and sink the savings into improving our facilities across all sports.

The result will be records in football no worse than what we get now, but a much stronger athletic program.

Newman is a mystery to me. Years down the road we'll look at his stats and say, "hey, he was pretty good." But watching him, he's been an afterthought on this team for 3 years and I can't think of a single kick he's made in a key situation. Hate to rip him, as I'm sure he feels like dogshit tonight, but it's true. The fact that he holds the school record for most consecutive made FGs is unbelievable. Hell, he's even missed a couple of extra points this year that have turned out to be killers.

Yeah, half his kicks are line drives or shanks and some just get lucky and go in. Doubt the inconsistency is all on him but, consecutive record or not, our field goal unit is bad.

As a small private school with tough academics and no fan base outside of our own (very small) alumni base, we will NEVER recruit the depth of quality talent that the big state schools can.

Consequently, it doesn't matter who the damn coach is, there is a hard ceiling on what we will ever accomplish in football.

Which means that it is ridiculous to pay Jim Grobe or any other head coach 2.5million dollars a year, which is more than Frank Beamer makes, because Jim Grobe will never accomplish, year-in, year-out, what Frank Beamer does. And if Frank Beamer were at Wake, he would not do any better than Grobe. The ceiling is institutional, not personal.

So we should hire relatively unknown, but well-regarded and competent coaches, who will be happy to work for 500-800,000 dollars a year and sink the savings into improving our facilities across all sports.

The result will be records in football no worse than what we get now, but a much stronger athletic program.

Reality is that we won the ACC Championship 5 years ago and we had a real shot at going back today. If you want to be average, you can be average. I would rather shoot for greatness and hit it every now and then.

Not disagreeing and I think Wellman followed that model when he hired Grobe. Then Grobe took us to the Orange Bowl and upped his market rate. Wellman was able to raise the funds to pay him market rate and it's nice to know LOWF has that capability when they do hire a great coach. We should make a bowl game this year and the next two and I'm not sure there are many coaches out there who can build that at Wake.

I'd point out that we would have gone back to the ACCCG in 07 (?) but for a blown final series against BC's back-up QB.

I'd point out that we would have gone back to the ACCCG in 07 (?) but for a blown final series against BC's back-up QB.

think that was 08. Could have also gone had Marshall Williams held on to the td catch at state.

So that would have been three ACCCG appearances in six seasons.

So you think we would have the results we had today without our commitment to football.

Exhibit A, I give you Duke, who is paying their staff about the same thing we are paying our staff.

Beat Maryland and we will finish 5-3 and basically one play from Charlotte. That's as close as UNC or State has gotten to the ACC Championship game, and we have actually been there and won it.

Our results in football could be much worse than they are now. Much worse.

So you think we would have the results we had today without our commitment to football.

Exhibit A, I give you Duke, who is paying their staff about the same thing we are paying our staff.

Beat Maryland and we will finish 5-3 and basically one play from Charlotte. That's as close as UNC or State has gotten to the ACC Championship game, and we have actually been there and won it.

Our results in football could be much worse than they are now. Much worse.

The state of the PROGRAM is excellent. The performance of our offensive co-ordinator has been mediocre at best. We need to make a change, and go to the next level. I don't care about other programs. We are good, damn good, and Grobe is a helluva coach til 2016. Til then with another O-corordinator we are much better.

For a good 1.5 seasons of his tenure, there was no such thing as a big kick.

I am shocked more of you aren't fans of Lobo since the reaction of most of you to us narrowly losing a game that NOBODY thought we would win prior to kickoff is the only thing more predictable than our offense.

What was our 3rd down conversion ratio? What was our run;pass ratio?

31 points was enough to win the game. Not sure how this was on Lobo.

It is on Lobo. He does not have a feel for the game. He should have run clock at the end of the game. He was aggressive when a more conservative approach was the play. He never seems to get this right. He is not incompetent. I do not know the statistics for the game, but I do know the ebbs and flows. Lobo should have gone I in the 2nd quarter on the 3rd and inches. THAT makes me crazy. SUbtle but was a key point in the game.

He is a solid coach, and I imagine a very good O-line coach. I don't know enough about that area to comment. I'm a defensive guy. I just don't think that he is TALENTED in that way. Hey may in fact be a much better head coach. What I do know is that its time for him to move on and give someone else a shot either within or out of the program.

Last edited:

Well stated. I've been having the same thought all day but couldn't articulate it this well.

Newman is deceptively reliable. Every time I look at his stats, I'm shocked that they're much better than I expect them to be.

He's very solid from chip-shot range, but has never managed a long kick in a clutch situation, and has had the misfortune of missing several potential game-winning attempts this year. I think that's why Swank stand out in our memories--he had numerous key 40+ FGs and a handful of 50+ in crucial situations in 06.

JN is a great kid and I know he's worked hard to improve. Unfortunately, today's misses hurt bad.

It's laughable that people are saying we should have played for OT on the road against a top 10 team when we had 1st and 10 at our own 37 with a minute left.

Back