• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Quintessential Jim Grobe/Wake Forest Football Game

I thought we were going to win at 28-14. I knew we were going to win law we lined up for a field goal to take a 31-21 lead. I lead we were going to lose when we missed said field goal.

I thought we were going to win at 28-14. I knew we were going to win law we lined up for a field goal to take a 31-21 lead. I lead we were going to lose when we missed said field goal.

Captures my sentiment.

Nice. The old "it's impossible to win and run a clean program at Wake" defense.

Oops. Posting on a phone after a few drinks to dull the pain.

Meant to say that "I KNEW we were going to lose when we missed said field goal."

Why do you qualify this as "succeeding at Wake Forest"? Curious.

Ph said he gets paid to succeed. He coaches at Wake Forest. Just kind of put them together. Obviously I think he does succeed. Just like if ph took his best students and faced Princeton in some high IQ bowl and lost on the last question. Should the alums of wherever ph teaches come down on him? I would love to see such an event.

You guys are ridiculous.
That game hurt like hell.
Not sure why you are ripping the head coach though.
We played very aggressive. We went for it on 4th down from their 5. That was the right call even though it didn't work.
We missed 2 FGs. Were those the wrong decisions by the coach.
had a chance to steal a win after the missed FG. If they call running plays this place would've blown up. IN hindsight, yes, a running play might have been a better call there but if it gets stuffed nothing would've change. Last week Lobo was ripped for running too much in the red zone.
We just failed to execute enough to win.
It's crushing to lose a winnable game against a more talented top 10 team on the road when we were in such a position to win. But I fail to see how this should be pinned on Grobe.

:werd:Sure the coaches made mistakes, but so did the players. Honestly, today is how I expect us to play on the road every week. Not that shit we put on the field in Chapel Hill (or even Duke, though we won).

Ph said he gets paid to succeed. He coaches at Wake Forest. Just kind of put them together. Obviously I think he does succeed. Just like if ph took his best students and faced Princeton in some high IQ bowl and lost on the last question. Should the alums of wherever ph teaches come down on him? I would love to see such an event.

It's been a long time since Wake has played a "Princeton".

Get some perspective, people. Look at where our football program was before Grobe got here. He has built it from the bottom up. Our facilities are better, our players are better, and we have been competitive for the ACC Championship almost every year since 2005. You can't expect to go into Death Valley with so much on the line and get a win. To lose in this fashion sucks, but it's a testament to how far we've come that we're even in this position. Nobody thought we would be this good after last year.

All true. Thanks to Grobe, Wake football is the best position it's ever been. We've had a nice run with an honorable program builder, but I think we now need to go out and get someone on the next level. I think Grobe has taken us as far as he can. I do not think Wake football has gone as far as it can, however.

Was ph leading by two TDs with less than a quarter of the questions remaining? Was ph responsible for getting the student to attend his university?

I don't pin this loss squarely on the coaches. There was obviously some botched execution that - if done correctly - would have won us the game. But don't come in here with some weak-as-shit analogies and expect us to think no one, Grobe or otherwise, can win at Wake.

I don't understand how Wellman wouldn't use the same logic he used to fire Dino to fire Grobe. Such blatant 4th quarter failures. Grobe should be fired if we don't win the Atlantic next season.

I don't understand how Wellman wouldn't use the same logic he used to fire Dino to fire Grobe. Such blatant 4th quarter failures. Grobe should be fired if we don't win the Atlantic next season.

Because Dino was most likely really fired for off the court issues. Also Dino had top 10 talent on his teams.

Exactly how my emotions went. I thought if we went up 31-21 it would've really been hard for them to come back and win. After the miss, you could literally feel the victory being torn away. God what a shitty loss that was.

Special teams can be a problem even for the best teams like Alabama last week. Grobe is an excellent coach and has created the model for player dvelopmetn and recruitment for us to win.

We lost the game on offense. Clemson is too good. they willl score and we just sucked on offense. Lobo has got to go. Then coach will be here until 2016.

Oh my.

Back