• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The school choice and 2-parent household official thread

06deacon - I can't speak for elsewhere, but some of the best private schools in North Carolina are entirely secular. I don't say that in support of the voucher system, which I think is terrible for public education in most cases, but rather in opposition to the knee jerk reaction that all private schools are tools of the church created and funded purely for indoctrination purposes.

Sure but I'd be willing to bet the school voucher push is driven more by small religious schools and their parents activism than quality secular schools pushing a good education.

Yeah. “Best school” is very subjective.

06deacon - I can't speak for elsewhere, but some of the best private schools in North Carolina are entirely secular. I don't say that in support of the voucher system, which I think is terrible for public education in most cases, but rather in opposition to the knee jerk reaction that all private schools are tools of the church created and funded purely for indoctrination purposes.

My point was more that many were set up right around the time of desegregation with something else as a stated purpose, Christianity in some cases.

Will never forget when it dawned on me the timing of the creation of my small, rural nc private school was coincidentally during integration. I was unfortunately oblivious to those type things back in the day.

Aside from elite boarding schools, I think most established private schools were starred as Brown v. Board was taking hold.

Aside from elite boarding schools, I think most established private schools were starred as Brown v. Board was taking hold.
Summit School next to Wake was founded in 1933. I think there are elite non boarding schools that would pass that litmus test.

Can't get to the TOP without reaching the SUMMIT !

Or something

Back