• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The school choice and 2-parent household official thread

The Utah state legislature is debating a controversial bill that will give teachers pay raises while at the same time establishing a voucher program that gives families $8,000 per child to pay for private schools or other options. Critics say the pay raise is just a cover for diverting large sums of money from public education.

The controversy escalated when a prominent pro-voucher, school choice advocate and lobbyist, Allison Sorenson, was recorded telling a meeting that "I can't say this is a recall of public education. Even though I want to destroy public education, I can’t say that...The legislators can’t say that because they’ll be just reamed over the coals.” Her comments have garnered plenty of criticism even from some Republicans in the state legislature, as well as denials from Republicans that their goal is to end public education in Utah. However, it's not hard to get the sense that their real problem with Sorenson is not that they disagree with her goals, they just don't like that she said the quiet parts out loud.

The bill has passed the Utah House, and is now being debated by the state senate.

Reamed over the coals?

Always loved the idea that there is a nefarious gay agenda. We all know the reality is an agenda of intolerance and hate based on nothing more than their desired interpretation of their religion. Oh and fear. They really are afraid of a couple dudes kissing.

There's a cult near me that forces their families to use their "school" rather than public education. Beyond the indoctrination piece I'm certain it's a money maker for them. Several years ago after a Washington Post article they were investigated by state board of education or something and were able to avoid meeting certain standards by successfully arguing they were home schooling. Together. In a building on the church grounds.

America really needs to stop providing cover to all things religious (predominantly white Christians) in the form of the default = Christians have to be good right??

Last edited:
Yeah, some of them do "pods" so it is "just like" public school except not at all and if the goal is social interaction, just go to a school.

America really needs to stop providing cover to all things predominantly white Christians in the form of the default = Christians have to be good right??
A large portion of America, if not a geographic majority, is predominately white Christian. They are simply providing cover for themselves. Those parts of the country are legislating their religious beliefs - tax funds for their Christian schools, tax exemption for their churches and ministries, religious exemptions for health care providers, religious exemptions for businesses, illegal abortion, religious regulations for public services like public schools and public libraries. The way that our nation governs itself allows for many areas of the country to rule themselves Theocratically.

The US population isn't predominantly white Christian. But the power and money certainly is.

The US population isn't predominantly white Christian. But the power and money certainly is.
I haven't checked this out at all. But I wouldn't be surprised if if you measure by land, the well more than 50% of the country has a population that is overwhelmingly white and christian. A ton of the non-white or non christian populations live in a handful of states and in metro areas.

I would imagine it might look like that dumbass map Trump used to make people look at showing the land mass of the counties he carried.

No question about it.

Why are there like 40 kids allegedly getting homeschooled together in that picture?
It’s a stock photo meant to grab your attention to read the story. It’s obviously not supposed to be a photo of the current Nazi homeschool group in Ohio.

The photo is from the days when school kids were required to give the Bellamy salute while reciting the Pledge of Alleigance. Because Nazis ruin everything and basically stole every symbol you associate with them from someone else, the salute was dropped in 1942 and replaced with holding your hand over your heart.

Back