• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"The Tournament: A History of ACC Men’s Basketball" Premieres Feb. 7 on ACC Network

The 73 Wake team that killed a Dean/u*NC title should get a mention. Wake was 8 points from a last place regular season finish to NCAA bid performance.

The 73 Wake team that killed a Dean/u*NC title should get a mention. Wake was 8 points from a last place regular season finish to NCAA bid performance.

That was a great win. It was the first time the bottom seeded team won a game. UNC was the #2 seed and we were the #7 seed. That was when the tourney only had 7 teams after South Carolina left. And as good as the UNC team was, I doubt they would beat Thompson, Burleson and Towe for the championship.

Are they going to mention the Les Robinson Invitational? Which morphed into the [Redacted]/Paint Touches Invitational? Otherwise the story of the ACC Tourney is incomplete.

Documentary is great so far. Did feel like they kind passed over the back to back titles a little quick, compared to some of the other title teams. But oh well. Duke did go on a run after that.

Also, failed to give Bones credit for appearing in the ACC Finals for 5 consecutive years.

Are they going to mention the Les Robinson Invitational? Which morphed into the [Redacted]/Paint Touches Invitational? Otherwise the story of the ACC Tourney is incomplete.

It is a point of pride for me that Wake never played in the actual Les Robinson Invitational. Wake and UNC were the only teams to avoid it when it was the 8 vs. 9 play in game.

1973?

Never heard of this guy Tony Byers, but he averaged 18 pts. per game for us in the backcourt with Skip Brown (a guy we all have heard of).

Byers averaged 18 and then 15 and was done after 2 years?

Seems like a player.

That was a great win. It was the first time the bottom seeded team won a game. UNC was the #2 seed and we were the #7 seed. That was when the tourney only had 7 teams after South Carolina left. And as good as the UNC team was, I doubt they would beat Thompson, Burleson and Towe for the championship.

That was the year (1973) when Thompson/Burleson et al were ineligible. The Maryland /NC State ACC Tournament final was a formality. Maryland got the only ACC bid to the NCAA Tournament, even though they lost a close game to NC State.

1973?

Never heard of this guy Tony Byers, but he averaged 18 pts. per game for us in the backcourt with Skip Brown (a guy we all have heard of).

Seems like a player.

Tony Byers was a JuCo guy who had those two good years at Wake. That was back in the days when Wake accepted Junior College credits.

ETA: He was all-ACC both years. He was a fifth round pick in the NBA draft. Didn't make it past training camp.

Last edited:
Another bad call that stoked the Wake hatred of u*NC was the blocking foul that should have been a charge in the 1957 ACC Tournament semi. Wake had a one point lead with a few seconds left. Lenny Rosenbluth scored on what looked like a charge to most observers. However, the ref called it a blocking foul on Wake. Rosenbluth made the and 1 and u*NC-CH went on to win the ACC Tournament, Rosenbluth got the scoring record and ***u*NC-CH *** got their first NCAA Title. If the ref had made the call of "charge," negating the basket, Wake would have been shooting two free throws (rule at the time) to ice the win. u*NC-CH would have been out of luck. No NCAA Tournament.

Edited to fix. It was before Dean.
***u*NC-CH***

Last edited:
Dean didn't get his first NCAA title until 1982 and Freddie Brown's pass to James Worthy.

Frank McGuire was the head coach of the 1957 UNC team.

Another bad call that stoked the Wake hatred of u*NC was the blocking foul that should have been a charge in the 1957 ACC Tournament semi. Wake had a one point lead with a few seconds left. Lenny Rosenbluth scored on what looked like a charge to most observers. However, the ref called it a blocking foul on Wake. Rosenbluth made the and 1 and u*NC-CH went on to win the ACC Tournament, Rosenbluth got the scoring record and Dean got his first NCAA Title. If the ref had made the call of "charge," negating the basket, Wake would have been shooting two free throws (rule at the time) to ice the win. Dean would have been out of luck. No NCAA Tournament.

way before my time, but Dean wasn't coaching UNC in the 50's, was he? I thought he was hanged in effigy for losing to one of the Chappell teams

way before my time, but Dean wasn't coaching UNC in the 50's, was he? I thought he was hanged in effigy for losing to one of the Chappell teams

Oops my bad. That was Frank McGuire coached team at u*NC-CH.

Interesting that the early 60’s point shaving / probation at State and Carolina was not mentioned. Hard to say if directly related, but both State and Carolina struggled after that , leaving room for Wake and Duke the next few years. State had already been on probation from 56-60 for the recruitment of Jackie Moreland, which may still stand as the longest NCAA Bball probation. Case deservedly was the primary motivator in putting Tobacco Road on the map, but he wasn’t quite the angel the film made him out to be.

1973?

Seems like a player.

Scored either 30 or 40 his first game for Wake, iirc

Another bad call that stoked the Wake hatred of u*NC was the blocking foul that should have been a charge in the 1957 ACC Tournament semi. Wake had a one point lead with a few seconds left. Lenny Rosenbluth scored on what looked like a charge to most observers. However, the ref called it a blocking foul on Wake. Rosenbluth made the and 1 and u*NC-CH went on to win the ACC Tournament, Rosenbluth got the scoring record and ***u*NC-CH *** got their first NCAA Title. If the ref had made the call of "charge," negating the basket, Wake would have been shooting two free throws (rule at the time) to ice the win. u*NC-CH would have been out of luck. No NCAA Tournament.

Edited to fix. It was before Dean.
***u*NC-CH***
They show video of this play in the doc. I had never seen footage before. Seemed like a decent call (not familiar with block/charge situation in 50s). I've seen us get screwed by the refs against UNC way more blatantly.

I will be watching and listening to see if this documentary shows footage of the infamous "Scoreboard Call" from 1975.

Maybe we get a shot of the elusive India Early.

From Hillsville, Va, daughter of a country doctor. Frank Beamer grew up near Hillsville, although he was born in Mt Airy. In Carroll County, Virginia, men are men and sheep run scared. It’s Hokie country now. Btw, India was very pretty back in the day. Mother in law to Webb Simpson.

Last edited:
Alley Hart and Billy Packer are great in telling stories about Bones. Alley has that eastern NC (Rocky Mount?) accent that I remember so fondly from many members the Kappa Sig fraternity back in the late 70’s.

1989 Wake vs NC State 4 OT game is on ACCN now. State in their unitards with shorts over them. Wake up 77-74 with :08 left in regulation. Wake fouls on State's 3pt shot.
State rattles in 1st FT. :02 left btw. 2nd FT skims back of the rim and bounces oddly parallel to the baseline where SG Rodney Monroe (doesn't crash into the lane but toward baseline) catches and shoots in the air to tie it. On to the 1st OT....

Poor Bob Staak. Could not catch a break.

Back