• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The UAW is at is again

wfumike02

Reaction score
We just saved the American auto industry from being destroyed by the UAW, but now they are back at it again

$58 an hour in pay and benefits per worker isn't enough. The average hourly worker at Ford made $109,020 in 2010, including wages, benefits and overtime, up 17 percent from 1999.

But the UAW wants more. They want to go back to the days of American car companies skimping on quality to support lavish pay and benefits for union workers. What's worse is that by making this play they are taking credibility away from some of the legitimate arguments out there that companies are sitting on lavish profits at the expense of employees and contributing to our current economic problems.

This kind of posturing makes all unions look bad.

Link

Let me get this strainght. When a comapny loses money (like GM) and the UAW guts its benefits package to keep them in business, it's OK. However when a company starts making huge profits, it's bad for the employees who helped make that possible to share in the propserity.

I guess the CEO and other executives won't be getting raises or more stock options.

Nice class warfare.

In other news GM is in negotiations with China to build the Volt over there. They have to use all Chinese workers and turn over the technology (for what it's worth) to the Chinese. GM then shares the profits with the Chinese government.

So, UAW, how do you like those potatoes?

Of course, the contribution margin on total Volt sales wouldn't pay for the fork lift operator in Pontiac, Michigan but that's another story.

Let me get this strainght. When a comapny loses money (like GM) and the UAW guts its benefits package to keep them in business, it's OK. However when a company starts making huge profits, it's bad for the employees who helped make that possible to share in the propserity.

I guess the CEO and other executives won't be getting raises or more stock options.

Nice class warfare.

The UAW's benefits package was the reason the American car companies couldn't compete in the first place.

Class warfare? If that's what you want to call it, you're damn right. I put myself through law school to make less than a high school dropout who sticks doors on the side of a car, and HE'S the one complaining that he doesn't make enough?

The UAW's benefits package was the reason the American car companies couldn't compete in the first place.

Class warfare? If that's what you want to call it, you're damn right. I put myself through law school to make less than a high school dropout who sticks doors on the side of a car, and HE'S the one complaining that he doesn't make enough?

So you DON't want people who make a company successful and profitable to share in the profits their work created.

You are against the American Dream and the most basic theory of capitalism that if you contribute to success that you will benefit from doing so.

So you DON't want people who make a company successful and profitable to share in the profits their work created.

You are against the American Dream and the most basic theory of capitalism that if you contribute to success that you will benefit from doing so.

Not at all. And at $100k + per year, they certainly are benefiting.

What I am against is that same person, who has it really really good and who has clearly made it at the very least to the upper-middle class, to become so overwhelmed by his sense of entitlement that he actually convinces himself he's a victim.

We saw what the UAW's sense of entitlement did to the auto industry the last time around. Do we really want to go down that road again?

Why shouldn't the people who CREATE the product share in the success they created?

You aren't asking the white collar workers not to take bonuses or raises. You are simply bigoted against those you think aren't as good as you perceive yourself.

You have the right the right to be a snobbish bigot, but that is who you are showing yourself to be.

No one includes the value of their benefits and calls it salary. That only happens when one side wants to inflate the appearance of actual pay, and in this case it's because they'd like to see a six figure number. Ironically, the benefit value is so high, and thus adds so much to the "salary," because of how off kilter HC costs are to begin with. But you can't claim they made 109K while petending they got "paid" benefits. Coverage is not pay.

I'm not getting into the issue because I don't know enough about whether the pay is fair, but let's stop using enlarged numbers.

I think I've seen this movie before. Yes, let me think... oh it's Workers of the World Unite by Elizabeth Warren.

Enjoyed it. Would watch again.

/realtalk/ i don't think the guy bolting on doors has as much to do with the turnaround at ford as the guys designing the vehicles and marketing/selling them

So if the guys bolting on the doors did a bad job even 2-3% of the time it wouldn't have more impact on the sales of the vehicles than say a $100,000/yr marketing guy haveing one bad day every two months at work?

I'm a marketing guy and I know that's not true.

I just used the numbers in the article, though I do realize those don't represent take home pay.

And RJ, the article also mentions how non-union managers and white collar workers have not made anywhere near the same gains over the last 10 years. So why is it the union workers are the victims?

Robots and Mexicans bolt on the doors. Where have you guys been...

So if the guys bolting on the doors did a bad job even 2-3% of the time it wouldn't have more impact on the sales of the vehicles than say a $100,000/yr marketing guy haveing one bad day every two months at work?

I'm a marketing guy and I know that's not true.

i'm just saying that people aren't buying more fords because of the craftsmanship.

Yep let's put more people out of work. Do you actually think Foird would lower prices if they used robots?

Hourly workers pay only 6% of their healthcare costs...that seems like a good deal for them.

Why shouldn't the people who CREATE the product share in the success they created?

You aren't asking the white collar workers not to take bonuses or raises. You are simply bigoted against those you think aren't as good as you perceive yourself.

You have the right the right to be a snobbish bigot, but that is who you are showing yourself to be.

Give them a nice bonus for the success...that way the increased cost isn't built into the system. Another good year-another nice bonus.

Back