• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The UAW is at is again

No one includes the value of their benefits and calls it salary. That only happens when one side wants to inflate the appearance of actual pay, and in this case it's because they'd like to see a six figure number. Ironically, the benefit value is so high, and thus adds so much to the "salary," because of how off kilter HC costs are to begin with. But you can't claim they made 109K while petending they got "paid" benefits. Coverage is not pay.

I'm not getting into the issue because I don't know enough about whether the pay is fair, but let's stop using enlarged numbers.

As someone who pays out of pocket for insurance coverage for my family, I'm fine with the idea of employment-included benefits counting as salary. I'd have more money in my pocket every month if I didn't pay OOP.

UAW hired me to handle a case locally. Would only pay less than half of my normal hourly rate, and it took more than 6 months to actually get paid anything. Of course, it was my choice to take the case (which I will never do again), but the benefits package for UAW employees is sweet enough to count it against their salaries. I have no sympathy for unions that muscle around at the expense of an industry.

Big organizations/corporations are notorius for paying late. That's they way of the world.

Back