• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Things to do in and around South Beach?

scooter84

Jack Campbell
Reaction score
Taking the wifey to a swanky hotel on South Beach for a large number anniversary... Only time for a quick 3 night stay... Other than hanging on the beach, what should we do? Need at least one nice, romantic dinner. Would one of the airboat trips in the everglades be worth it? We could drive down to some of the upper Keys one day - not sure we want to drive all the way to Key West, though - anything down there worth seeing or doing?
I had looked at staying at the Bungalows on Key Largo - it looked awesome and is all inclusive but couldn't justify $1800+/night...

Taking the wifey to a swanky hotel on South Beach for a large number anniversary... Only time for a quick 3 night stay... Other than hanging on the beach, what should we do? Need at least one nice, romantic dinner. Would one of the airboat trips in the everglades be worth it? We could drive down to some of the upper Keys one day - not sure we want to drive all the way to Key West, though - anything down there worth seeing or doing?
I had looked at staying at the Bungalows on Key Largo - it looked awesome and is all inclusive but couldn't justify $1800+/night...

If you want to go to the upper Keys, South Beach is not where you want to be. And yeah, you definitely don't want to drive to Key West.

You definitely want to have your itinerary set before you get to South Beach or you're going to have a terrible time. I don't have much to offer though as I don't really like it there. The beach isn't great. The people are awful. Everything's way overpriced.

When are you going? Everglades Airboat rides are great in February or March, but in July they are buggy and oppressively hot. Also, I think you'd have a better airboat experience out of Naples than out of Miami.

When are you going? Everglades Airboat rides are great in February or March, but in July they are buggy and oppressively hot. Also, I think you'd have a better airboat experience out of Naples than out of Miami.
I took an airboat ride in July and I enjoyed it!

But yeah I’ve been to Florida like 4 summers in a row and have made it a point to avoid Miami each time.

I'm really excited now! Looks like I have chosen poorly, in the eyes of the Pit... Should we pivot and stay in Key Largo or somewhere like that? What is so bad about South Beach? We were there many years ago and though the beach itself was great - we didn't have a lot of time to do anything else on that visit.

I'm really excited now! Looks like I have chosen poorly, in the eyes of the Pit... Should we pivot and stay in Key Largo or somewhere like that? What is so bad about South Beach? We were there many years ago and though the beach itself was great - we didn't have a lot of time to do anything else on that visit.
I don’t have much experience with South Beach but if you are looking for a pivot, the Cheeca Resort on Isla Morada is great.

It's really just not my scene and there are a lot prettier and cheaper places in Florida. I would def prefer just about anywhere in the Keys.

What is the draw to you for South Beach? Don't let us dissuade you from it because we're not the South Beach types. Economics probably plays a part of my dislike for it as well, as it's hella pricey for my salary and I think you and I are in different tax brackets.

I definitely wanted to go somewhere warm and beachy - that is the wife's vibe. I was looking for a swanky, romantic place to stay and the W Hotel on South beach came up. Like I said, I was initially looking at The Bungalows on Key Largo as it was on every "most romantic weekend getaway" list I could find - but I couldn't make myself pull the trigger at $1800+/night. The W is VERY expensive but not close to that.
I didn't want to go way down in the Keys because it is only a three night trip and I didn't want to waste most of a day driving...
And, I didn't want to go out of the country, again because of the short trip...

I definitely wanted to go somewhere warm and beachy - that is the wife's vibe. I was looking for a swanky, romantic place to stay and the W Hotel on South beach came up. Like I said, I was initially looking at The Bungalows on Key Largo as it was on every "most romantic weekend getaway" list I could find - but I couldn't make myself pull the trigger at $1800+/night. The W is VERY expensive but not close to that.
I didn't want to go way down in the Keys because it is only a three night trip and I didn't want to waste most of a day driving...

Stay at The Lodge and Bath Club in Ponte Vedra and get spa treatments at the PV Inn and Club.

My family has been going to The Lodge for 30 years and my parents just stayed there last weekend.

i personally like south beach, but based on years of posting history scooter84 will absolutely hate it
Again, what is it about South Beach that I am going to hate? Note that we are old so it is not like we are going to be out late clubbing. Just looking for beach time, nice restaurants, tasty cocktails, luxurious accommodations, and maybe something fun and active to do during the day.

Oh definitely look into Cheeca then. Isla Morada isn't far from Miami, tons of nice little restaurants and it has a great swanky, romantic, islands vibe.

Again, what is it about South Beach that I am going to hate? Note that we are old so it is not like we are going to be out late clubbing. Just looking for beach time, nice restaurants, tasty cocktails, luxurious accommodations, and maybe something fun and active to do during the day.
it's grimey and you'll see a lot of things that will appall the typical cary resident

Back