• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Things to do in and around South Beach?

Cheeca is quite a bit different from the W at South Beach. And Islamorada is quite different from South Beach.

I was last in South Beach pre Covid and my wife and I both agreed that was probably our last trip there. We stayed at 1 South Beach, which was great, but the whole damn place just reeks of pretentiousness and NYC assholes.

You can stroll and shop on Lincoln and Collins and eat dinner someplace then go clubbing. That's kind of the SB experience.

My best SB experience is stumbling out of the Ritz-Carlton about 20 years ago and walking across the street to a window and ordering the best Cuban sandwich I ever had. But they tore that building down.

If you’re committed to the Miami area, I’ve stayed at Acqualina and it was really nice. A little bit of a quieter location north of Miami Beach but still close proximity to anything you might want to do. IMO fits the vibe of what you’re looking for better in terms of an anniversary trip.

Cheeca is quite a bit different from the W at South Beach. And Islamorada is quite different from South Beach.

I was last in South Beach pre Covid and my wife and I both agreed that was probably our last trip there. We stayed at 1 South Beach, which was great, but the whole damn place just reeks of pretentiousness and NYC assholes.

You can stroll and shop on Lincoln and Collins and eat dinner someplace then go clubbing. That's kind of the SB experience.

My best SB experience is stumbling out of the Ritz-Carlton about 20 years ago and walking across the street to a window and ordering the best Cuban sandwich I ever had. But they tore that building down.
That chances that you and I have crossed paths in real life gets greater and greater. Did you stay at Cheeca? Good fishing. Just got to make sure you are there when the Bushes aren't or security is a pain.

another vote against south beach here, although obviously i'm in for pretention

save some money and go to savannah, or go to the Breakers in Palm Beach

if you stay with South Beach, Jean Georges was a really good dinner

savannah also too grimey for a cary resident. hilton head is a good suggestion

That chances that you and I have crossed paths in real life gets greater and greater. Did you stay at Cheeca? Good fishing. Just got to make sure you are there when the Bushes aren't or security is a pain.

I haven't stayed at Cheeca but have been all over Islamorada since I was a kid.

If you want to go to the upper Keys, South Beach is not where you want to be. And yeah, you definitely don't want to drive to Key West.

You definitely want to have your itinerary set before you get to South Beach or you're going to have a terrible time. I don't have much to offer though as I don't really like it there. The beach isn't great. The people are awful. Everything's way overpriced.
Lot's of truth here and a world of difference between south beach and any of the keys.

Checca Lodge is great (IMHO). It's on one of the first keys. I would definitely check out a the everglades if you haven't been, but again there is a world of difference between a "cheap" tour in Shark Valley where you see all types of stuff, the Swamp Safari off 75 on the reservation, or a swank tour that brings wine and a picnic.

We're kind of committed to flying into Miami but I can change where we are staying. If not south Beach I am inclined to head down the keys a bit... 2 hours to drive over to Naples could be doable if there was a really awesome resort or something. Kona Kai at Key Largo looks great but is booked (we are going late June). I will look into the Cheeca place... Any other recommendations down that way?

There is a place to hand feed the snapper. So great seafood. Miami seafood is "Caribean" Keys seafood is more calabash. I lived in S Fl for 6 years and went to s beach 5 times maybe. Once because, I was excited and it was the thing to do, and the other times because work made me..

South Florida in late June doesn’t seem like an attractive getaway destination.

You people are depressing me. We went to Jamaica in July one time and had a great time so we can deal with heat and humidity.

We're kind of committed to flying into Miami but I can change where we are staying. If not south Beach I am inclined to head down the keys a bit... 2 hours to drive over to Naples could be doable if there was a really awesome resort or something. Kona Kai at Key Largo looks great but is booked (we are going late June). I will look into the Cheeca place... Any other recommendations down that way?

My initial suggestion was going to be Naples. The problem is that because it’s on the gulf and there’s very little water movement it can be pretty warm this time of year.

there was a section of nude gay beach on South Beach so you can see dong if you're into that @Knight

Back