• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Thoughts from the Class of '73 (Long)

They're not going to care. Make some edits and try to get a guest column in the WSJ. Caturday can put his numbers in the Triad Business Journal. Get alums from Charlotte and the Triangle to target the Observer and N&O with columns about how they won't buy season tickets and travel to games. Pelt the WSJ with letters to the editor.

This is a fantastic idea that I hope Deke 73 pursues.

What's the point? Wellman already knows who is or isn't buying season tickets and where they live and he's got Hatch's support.

That's the only option left. It's clear that e-mails don't work. They're not embarrassed by what's happening on the court. They only option for fans is going to the press to make the case.

Very good post - Glad to know fans of every generation are equally upset with the state of the program.

That's the only option left. It's clear that e-mails don't work. They're not embarrassed by what's happening on the court. They only option for fans is going to the press to make the case.

The press already knows that Wake basketball is an embarrassment to the fans, otherwise we'd be at the games.

Bzz will be back this fall. If he fails to significantly move the program forward, the press will really have a field day with him and Wellman. But Wellman will continue to support Bzz if he is able to achieve a reasonable level of mediocrity. There's really not much use in complaining about Bzz until he is actively sucking during the basketball season again. Newspaper columnists aren't going to write columns about him in April. They'll start to talk about how much pressure there is on him for the freshmem to play well when practice starts in September and October. They'll start shaking their heads by December if it doesn't look like things are going to work out. If things don't improve by February, the press and everyone in the ACC will be saying it's over and it's time for Wake to move on. If Ron digs in again, that's the time for riots and letter writing campaigns to be in full effect.

Certainly would be a step in the right direction. Of course 1,000 alumni showing up at the AD's office would have a big impact as well. Or people can keep posting here how unhappy they are.

More helpful would be a group of former basketball players having a meeting with Ron like the group of Football players did at Duke to get them to hire a better coach a few years ago.

More helpful would be a group of former basketball players having a meeting with Ron like the group of Football players did at Duke to get them to hire a better coach a few years ago.

Good idea, but they'd have to be much older players because we know the most recent hoops alums weren't good for the "culture".

Also, they'd be throwing one or two of their own under the bus.

I grew up in Ohio and started following Wake in the late 70's. Wake basketball has been a passion of mine since then. I attended the last 3 years of the Staak era and the first for GDO. I was up very early every morning to get tickets. I love my alma mater and the basketball team and I cannot stand what Wellman and Bz have done to this program. The OP's letter needs to be transformed into a petition, it represents how almost all of us feel about this travesty. I'd be honored to attach my name and class.

Certainly would be a step in the right direction. Of course 1,000 alumni showing up at the AD's office would have a big impact as well. Or people can keep posting here how unhappy they are.

Assistant: Sir, there's an unruly mob here to see you.
Quimby: Does it have an appointment?
Assistant: [consults clipboard] Yes, it does.
Skinner: I phoned ahead!

Excellent effort sir! Please send this to President Hatch! nhatch@wfu.edu (Might I suggest adding a couple sentences about how unfair keeping Buzz for another year is to the players.)

When you get the "canned" response that says among other things, "I do have confidence in the direction we are going", please respond again with whatever your heart tells you to say. I say that for two reasons: 1) If you do not reply back the assumption is that the reply you received was enough to address your concerns, and 2) Because I read somewhere that most initial correspondence to high ranking individuals is handled by an admin sending a canned response. However, if the initial canned reply draws a further communication, this sometimes moves all the communication from that person up the chain of command. Hatch might actually see it. Good luck.

The press already knows that Wake basketball is an embarrassment to the fans, otherwise we'd be at the games.

Bzz will be back this fall. If he fails to significantly move the program forward, the press will really have a field day with him and Wellman. But Wellman will continue to support Bzz if he is able to achieve a reasonable level of mediocrity. There's really not much use in complaining about Bzz until he is actively sucking during the basketball season again. Newspaper columnists aren't going to write columns about him in April. They'll start to talk about how much pressure there is on him for the freshmem to play well when practice starts in September and October. They'll start shaking their heads by December if it doesn't look like things are going to work out. If things don't improve by February, the press and everyone in the ACC will be saying it's over and it's time for Wake to move on. If Ron digs in again, that's the time for riots and letter writing campaigns to be in full effect.

Losers mentality. For shame.

You can send all the letters and emails to Wellman, Hatch and the local media you want...it's not going to change Bz's employment status.

Ron Wellman is determined his long term plan will work and he is 100% supportive of Bz. He is going to be here next season and there's nothing we can do about it.

Next year, when our record is 0-shitty and we are once again being run out of gyms by everyone, including BC, GT & VT, Wellman will address the problem to the critics by blaming youth, inexperience and the transfers. He will tell us all he is still 100% BzIn.

Bz will be here 5 years, minimum. Bet on it.

You can send all the letters and emails to Wellman, Hatch and the local media you want...it's not going to change Bz's employment status.

Ron Wellman is determined his long term plan will work and he is 100% supportive of Bz. He is going to be here next season and there's nothing we can do about it.

Next year, when our record is 0-shitty and we are once again being run out of gyms by everyone, including BC, GT & VT, Wellman will address the problem to the critics by blaming youth, inexperience and the transfers. He will tell us all he is still 100% BzIn.

You believe the Board will permit this if things continue as they are? Death knell.

i just puked in my mouth....

Excellent effort sir! Please send this to President Hatch! nhatch@wfu.edu (Might I suggest adding a couple sentences about how unfair keeping Buzz for another year is to the players.)

When you get the "canned" response that says among other things, "I do have confidence in the direction we are going", please respond again with whatever your heart tells you to say. I say that for two reasons: 1) If you do not reply back the assumption is that the reply you received was enough to address your concerns, and 2) Because I read somewhere that most initial correspondence to high ranking individuals is handled by an admin sending a canned response. However, if the initial canned reply draws a further communication, this sometimes moves all the communication from that person up the chain of command. Hatch might actually see it. Good luck.

I sent an email Sunday night and have yet to receive even a canned response. My guess is they are not even bothering to respond anymore.

Dare I say, I'm not sure we'll all be here in 5 years if that is the case. I'll either take a hiatus from college hoops or *shrug* choose a new team. And I don't take that decision lightly considering I have been a wake fan for well over 30 years. The sad thing is that I am a devoted loyal fan who has only ever cheered for WFU, so you can bet your $ that the casual fans have long since packed up and left.

[Redacted]/Wellman has destroyed all the joy that once was WFU basketball.

Bz will be here 5 years, minimum, as long as Wellman is the AD. Bet on it.

FIFY

I think the quality of the product on the court and attendance at games will be so poor that Hatch and the BOT will have to do something after next season. And I think that something will be to can both Bzdick and Wellman. Might even happen during the season if it's real bad (and just make Battle, if he's still here, interim for the remainder of the season).

Back