• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Thoughts on Chiropractors?

awakeandready

Squirrelmonger
Reaction score
Does anybody here see a chiropractor regularly? Anyone ever been and felt like it helped a lot to just go even once?

There's a groupon for a chiro in WS that I'm considering. I've never gone before and don't really like bones cracking (like when people crack their backs or knuckles) but after throwing my back out recently I was wondering if meeting with one would be beneficial. I'm hoping he could give me some advice for strengthening/preventing injury.

Thoughts?

the one time i went into a chiropractor's office to pick up an ex gf i saw a bunch of pamphlets on the table talking about having back adjustments done instead of getting vaccines.

and that's all i have to say about chiropractors

My sister does and loves it. She does it to keep aligned while training for races.

One thing that helps the back is strong core muscles.

Last edited:
my dad's a radiologist and he's not a fan of those who refer to his practice

I feel like people either swear by them or think they're witch doctors.

my dad's a radiologist and he's not a fan of those who refer to his practice

yeah i have an in-law radiologist who feels the same

also, all the people i know who go (and it's quite a few) also swear by them. However, they end up attributing every single malady to 'being out of alignment' which ends up with them going like once a month for a vi

Go see a physical therapist instead. If you have BCBS, you can see one without a doctor's referral since NC is a direct access state. They would be able to help you much more than a chiro. Look for an orthopedic practice, they deal with a lot of back injuries.

I would be especially hesitant of a chiro on Groupon. my friend in dental school says to avoid Groupon dentists at all costs.

I have found chiropractic care to be helpful in coordination with regular medical care (not in place of). It has definitely helped reduce the frequency of my headaches. My chiropractor has also helped with lower back issues through adjustment and providing me with specific stretches to work on those muscles.

I would definitely suggest checking reviews or getting personal recommendations before choosing one. Before going to mine, I knew several people who went to him & were very pleased with their treatment & results. Also different chiropractors use different methods. My adjustments do not involve hearing bones cracking. :D

Conceptually, I don't see how a chiropractor gives you the diagnosis/rehab to actually reduce the pain in the long term. Seems like their treatment establishes a long-term dependency on them, as opposed to PT where the goal is to actually improve the condition and get you to stop having to see your PT. Seems like the difference between treating the symptoms vs. the disease.

Go see a physical therapist instead. If you have BCBS, you can see one without a doctor's referral since NC is a direct access state. They would be able to help you much more than a chiro. Look for an orthopedic practice, they deal with a lot of back injuries.

This is especially the case if you have been injured and will be making a liability claim (car wreck, is the most common example). Insurance companies (and more importantly, jurors) do not like chiropractors and will assume that you went to a chiropractor because there was nothing a real doctor would do for you.

Conceptually, I don't see how a chiropractor gives you the diagnosis/rehab to actually reduce the pain in the long term. Seems like their treatment establishes a long-term dependency on them, as opposed to PT where the goal is to actually improve the condition and get you to stop having to see your PT. Seems like the difference between treating the symptoms vs. the disease.

My wife's experience has been the opposite. The PT wanted to go with cortizone shots / surgery, so she tried a Chiro at the recommendation of a friend and has largely seen her issues (hip) go away which is something the PT couldn't figure out how to do. I'm not totally sold on them, but it's hard to argue with the results we've seen at my house.

My wife's experience has been the opposite. The PT wanted to go with cortizone shots / surgery, so she tried a Chiro at the recommendation of a friend and has largely seen her issues (hip) go away which is something the PT couldn't figure out how to do. I'm not totally sold on them, but it's hard to argue with the results we've seen at my house.

Interesting. Fortunately (knock on wood) I haven't had to have much experience with either one. I also should have said in full disclosure that my brother is a PT.

quack.jpg

Some people seem to feel better with their help.

But I've pretty consistently heard an abundance of absurd medical misinformation come from patients attributing their chiropractor as the source. So...be careful out there.

My mom is a radiologist and medical nerd; she enjoys reading about anything medical. Any way, when I told her I hurt my back playing tennis, the first thing she said was "your not going to a chiropractor".

I went to a chiropractor once. I had developed really bad sciatica in early March 2005. Went to my regular doc, who gave me Percoset and told me to come back in two weeks if it wasn't better. (Note: I could barely walk.) My then-boss sent me to his chiropractor. After the first treatment, I could stand up straight. Two more treatments over the course of about a week, and I was fine. Kept the Percoset to use as needed later on. :)

That said, I've never had any back pain that bothered me enough that I wanted to return or felt like I needed to.

Back