• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Thoughts on Chiropractors?

If you’re overweight and lazy that’s a fact. Pretending it isn’t is intellectually lazy and that’s a fact too.

How can the word lazy be factual? Answer, it can't. To a 300 pound couch potato, I'm an energetic, athletic machine. To someone like lbe, I'm probably pretty lazy. Subjective claims are, by definition, not facts.

lazy: (adj) disinclined to activity or exertion

You can be factually lazy about something, not just as a relative statement to what someone else does or doesn't do. If you are disinclined to be proactive about your health, or follow-up, or whatever... you are factually (by definition) lazy about that thing. That's the statement I made. I didn't make a blanket statement that overweight or inactive people are lazy (that would be judgmental). I said if you are lazy about your health. All disparate statements, all objective.

Last edited:
How do you define being proactive about your health/follow-up/whatever? That's a lot different for a lot of different types of people. Again, you're trying to make something that's subjective, by nature, be objective.

I'm done arguing syntax, but I'm betting you might offend a lot of people if this type of usage of typically derogatory adjectives is commonplace for you.

Oh, and I'm not offended at all. The Whole 30 diet (I realize people hate on it) has me at my lowest weight since I played HS football. #humblebrag. Unfortunately, my ruptured discs are still flaring up pretty bad, and I'm hoping the PT I'm doing will calm things down and ward off surgery once again.

How do you define being proactive about your health/follow-up/whatever? That's a lot different for a lot of different types of people. Again, you're trying to make something that's subjective, by nature, be objective.

I'm done arguing syntax, but I'm betting you might offend a lot of people if this type of usage of typically derogatory adjectives is commonplace for you.

Oh, and I'm not offended at all. The Whole 30 diet (I realize people hate on it) has me at my lowest weight since I played HS football. #humblebrag. Unfortunately, my ruptured discs are still flaring up pretty bad, and I'm hoping the PT I'm doing will calm things down and ward off surgery once again.

Being proactive about your health/follow-up: taking the necessary steps to ensure the results you get are lasting; recognizing the significance of and then actually doing the home care. I could go to a masseuse or PT every 3 months for debilitating IT band issues... or I could be proactive do the necessary stretching/rolling exercises on my own to prevent further issues.
If you go to a chiro and they do an adjustment and then give you a resistance band and say, "for this to work best, you need to do XYZ exercises three times a week." and you are lazy or lackadaisical about completing those 3x week exercises, you're probably going to find yourself dealing with the same issues again.

"I'm betting you might offend a lot of people if this type of usage of typically derogatory adjectives is commonplace for you." Good grief. People are getting their panties eight kinds of wadded up because they are assuming I'm making judgment calls on people being fat and lazy. No. I've clarified this is neither what I said nor what I meant. As for my use of the word lazy - what other word should I have used there?

...sorry to everyone who was still interested in discussing their thoughts on Chiropractors. I did not intend to hijack the thread with arguments on syntax and semantics. I am testy today and have zero presently-available avenues for my aggression, so the lovely people of the Pit are dealing with my channeled angst in this conversation.

Peace, love, and pain-free backs for all.

I think anyone who is lazy knows it

I know people who work out almost every day and still think they're lazy. I work out 3-4 times a week and definitely still consider myself lazy to a degree.

Anyways, for relevance, both the PT and MD I've seen in the past week have told me to stay far away from chiros for my condition (L4-L5, L5-S1 ruptured discs).

I told an old girlfriend when we were dating I thought chiropractors were fake doctors practicing BS techniques and she got really mad at me. I think it was because she was banging some chiropractor that she was going to. Seemed pertinent to the thread.

I told an old girlfriend when we were dating I thought chiropractors were fake doctors practicing BS techniques and she got really mad at me. I think it was because she was banging some chiropractor that she was going to. Seemed pertinent to the thread.

He was giving her an amazing endorphin release but eventually she was just turning back into her fat lazy self.

I work out all the time, but I think chiropractors are quacks.

I also thought the cure for ITBS was strengthening the gluteus medius, not stretching.

Back