• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Thoughts on Chiropractors?

most of the popular sports doctors in charlotte are chiropractors. 1 has really pissed me off because it seems to me that he's too busy running a business to be a doctor (i.e. never seems to want to actually FIX anything. just wants for you to come back in for 10 more appointments so he can do the same lame, unhelpful things over and over and over). but another one really helped me out when i had some IT band issues. i've never had a chiro do anything with my back at all, but legs/feet issues i have. it seemed helpful there.

not sure if sports chiros are different than others.

I feel like people either swear by them or think they're witch doctors.

It's very weird. There's some bad ones out there, and it doesn't always work, but anyone who has had to have a lot of work with doctors knows it's the same way, there's just not the built in stigma to doctors

Can a Chiropractor help with things other than the back? I have golfer's elbow and have not been able to shake it in almost 9 months. I went to my doctor who prescribed a pain killer and stretching exercises. That didn't work so I have been trying an accupuncturist with limited success. About the only thing left are direct injections into the joint of platelet enriched blood or maybe cortesone.

Interesting thread. Seeing a PT tomorrow, as I have two ruptured discs that are flaring up like crazy. Have had 2 different orthopedic surgeons tell me to stay away from chiros.

I’ve had cortisone injections for golfers elbow. Doc told me it might last long term or might not. It will give you relief and might even cure it. I was in the boat of needing a boost every six months or so for a few years and then it finally went away. Doc told me that these things usually go away in there on after a few years. Stretching is important.

Also, the elbow is one of the most painful places you can get a cortisone injection.

I've seen three different chiropractors over a few years and each was a completely different experience. The first was basically a mill, and in terms of what they believed, was a "straight" chiropractor. That belief system is that the nerves that run through the spine control all of the functions of the body. If the spine is out of alignment, it may impact the nerves causing all kinds of issues. This might be correct to some extent, but they extrapolate it to every malady. This one was also against vaccination. The adjustments were okay, but it just seemed like a mill. They'd have a bunch of people waiting and then would get about 5 minutes with the chiropractor in an open setting. Frankly, I did feel better after an adjustment but it was somewhat temporary and I believed that you needed to alter the muscular-skeletal system, i.e. posture, strength training, for more lasting relief, which they didn't address.

The second was more of a sports chiropractor. His adjustments were practically nothing. He focused on strength training and functional movement. This seemed okay at first, but then I realized, I'm not sure he's really trained for this like a PT is. The problem was that I developed sciatica during my time there, which I reported to him. He claimed it was just muscle fatigue. It progressed. He didn't really belief in making much of an adjustment and I never really felt much after he would do one. Ultimately, a recent MRI showed that I had a fullblown herniated disc, which brings me to the third chiro.

The third chiro was the most thorough. She'd discuss your issues, do xrays, and do a full consultation with you. She'd do a series of adjustments in a closed room and there wasn't a line of people waiting. She'd take her time. I felt better after the adjustments. I also was seeing her in conjunction with a PT for the herniated disc. This is the ideal situation I think. The PT is trained in movement, stretching, and strength techniques to address issues. The chiro is not but can help adjust the spine. Both are necessary, imo. Frankly, I'm not even sure the chiro is actually adjusting the spine but instead may just be moving it to release pressure that develops from standing, sitting, moving.

I'd suggest finding a chiro who isn't a mill and will do a couple x-rays initially to see the condition of your spine. (The second guy I went to did no x-rays.) I think spinal adjustment and muscular-skeletal strengthening/stretching combined can be helpful.

I've never heard of a chrio that does adjustments in an open room with a line of people waiting.

Can a Chiropractor help with things other than the back? I have golfer's elbow and have not been able to shake it in almost 9 months. I went to my doctor who prescribed a pain killer and stretching exercises. That didn't work so I have been trying an accupuncturist with limited success. About the only thing left are direct injections into the joint of platelet enriched blood or maybe cortesone.

i had this same injury, well maybe worse than yours, a few years back. i had torn ligaments in my RT elbow (golfer's elbow, not tennis elbow). i tried to rehab but it didn't work and most of the time, depending on the injury, it doesn't work. ligaments have very little vasculature, which is needed for "repair". i was told, when i was researching ideas, that the platelet injections do not always work and are not covered by insurance because they are still "experimental". have you had an MRI?

a chiropractor cannot help you with this, imo. in fact, i have little faith in chiropractors at all. you feel better immediately after the correction because you body releases endorphins. it will help with the pain for a short time. ultimately it becomes like a drug, you will continuously crave the correction to "fix" the problem, but it does nothing to really correct the problem. it is a return business cash cow.

if you have back issues i think i would start with an inversion table first.

If you go to a chiropractor you're basically on the same level as mouth breathing, Trump voting rubes. You fell for a con artist.

If you go to a chiropractor you're basically on the same level as mouth breathing, Trump voting rubes. You fell for a con artist.

I have a physician friend that says he believes in the power of the placebo. As long as they aren't doing something that actively hurts you then why begrudge the people that find relief in the pseudoscience?

I go to a chiro office that pairs any adjustments (which they may or may not do) with a lot of PT (with licensed PTs) and active release therapy - it's a lot more about the musculoskeletal health and development than it is about just cracking things. They will also pair chiro work with LMTs doing massage therapy, which was hugely helpful for me with TMJ issues.

I would not normally recommend a chiro, but I always highly recommend this place for its well-rounded approach to injury treatment (and most importantly, injury prevention).

About 17 years ago, I had a herniated disk and the fragment was pressing on a nerve and I was uncomfortable as hell 24 hours a day. I choose not to mess with chiros and went to an orthopedic surgeon who did a lumbar laminectomy on me to remove the disk fragment. It worked perfect and all these years later still live an active lifestyle. I shudder to think what a chiro would have done in my situation... how could an adjustment fix a fragmented disk floating around? Btw, lots of radiologist kids on this thread, I'm one too and he thinks they are quacks.

They will also pair chiro work with LMTs doing massage therapy, which was hugely helpful for me with TMJ issues.

Does pizza man get condolences or congratulations?

I have a physician friend that says he believes in the power of the placebo. As long as they aren't doing something that actively hurts you then why begrudge the people that find relief in the pseudoscience?

I mean Im not going begrudge them anymore than people who drink Red Bull for health effects. Or people who vote for Trump because they got boost from his rallies.

About 17 years ago, I had a herniated disk and the fragment was pressing on a nerve and I was uncomfortable as hell 24 hours a day. I choose not to mess with chiros and went to an orthopedic surgeon who did a lumbar laminectomy on me to remove the disk fragment. It worked perfect and all these years later still live an active lifestyle. I shudder to think what a chiro would have done in my situation... how could an adjustment fix a fragmented disk floating around? Btw, lots of radiologist kids on this thread, I'm one too and he thinks they are quacks.

Btw, this is probably the riskiest option scientifically speaking. A person with a knife or laser operating withing millimeters of nerve bundles. It's done but it's not a risk free procedure.

I threw out my back the day before my brothers wedding where I was the best man. I went to chiropractor that day, and was able to walk up right. Went to bad and woke up hunched over, repeated the chiropractor visit and I was good to go for the wedding. haven't been back since.

Btw, this is probably the riskiest option scientifically speaking. A person with a knife or laser operating withing millimeters of nerve bundles. It's done but it's not a risk free procedure.

agreed on this. pretty sure steve kerr will try to talk any and everyone out of back surgery

Ask Tiger Woods about back surgeries. By the way, I had disc surgery from a football injury at Wake that ended my football career. That was 48 years ago and I can still golf at a high level and do pretty much anything that I want. That was before the injection era and now the microsurgery that is done.

Back