• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

thread for Good Design

Yeah, pretty much. Something like this in Charlotte:

genMid.4074790_0.jpg
I'm seeing newer homes where with roofs that look like that big overhang on the big window. that black with the big lines.

We have a Cape Cod 1.5 story, but thankfully with full 8 foot ceilings in the 2nd level and a good amount of space. Pretty unique for our neighborhood/Charlotte in general. Built in the early 60's. Desperately trying to figure out how to vault the ceiling and add about 500 sq feet of livable attic space to stay in this sweet, sweet 2.5% interest rate. Will take some interest rerouting of the upstairs as well.

We just built and while the outside is pretty conventional I’m absolutely in love with the interior in all ways. Floor plan is #elite, interior has lots of nice touches, our design is clean but still has lots of personality. 10/10 would build again. Idk what a GREENSBORO 10 translates to tho. @biff?

I will say the clothes twitter guy says "Take Five" was composed there, and Paul Desmond composed that tune, not Brubeck, but maybe they worked out some bits together there.
He also posts these European villas with fake prices, like the list price for renting a room

Idk if it’s a schtick?

We just built and while the outside is pretty conventional I’m absolutely in love with the interior in all ways. Floor plan is #elite, interior has lots of nice touches, our design is clean but still has lots of personality. 10/10 would build again. Idk what a GREENSBORO 10 translates to tho. @biff?
Congratulations - I'd love to have a home built at some point. Did you do full custom or some sort of semi-custom option? What did you enjoy most/least about the process? Anything about going through the build process surprise you?

Full custom - tbh it was a pretty great experience. Probably the only thing I wish had been different was when we were at crunch time trying to time sale of her house, moving, final CO on our house, etc. the builder was just a little too casual for my liking. It all worked out but I would have preferred to see a more defined plan with dates and dependencies rather than a bunch of one-off texts and a lot of faith that shit would just get done.

As far as the actual selections, I most enjoyed designing all the built-in shelving since it started with my wife and I with a scratch pad at a bar and seeing it come to life exactly how we wanted. I was traveling for work when she met with the lighting company and she said that was easily the worst of the vendor meetings. Just overwhelming in terms of how many decisions and a pretty disorganized showroom with a billion different options.

the builder was just a little too casual for my liking. It all worked out but I would have preferred to see a more defined plan with dates and dependencies rather than a bunch of one-off texts and a lot of faith that shit would just get done.
that's like all GCs though

lol I was just about to say that, our builder was very high comms with us through the process and still felt like shit was just a little too casual near end of the build

AI and its worst users must be stopped

(not quite design, but close enough)

Back