• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Thursday's Debate: Discussion Thread

Thanks for that. I didn't realize that CNN had that poll. Appreciate your sharing.

IIRC. Poll of registered undecided voters I believe

Who won - Ryan 48 - Biden 44
On Attack More - Biden 70 - Ryan 19
Qualified to Be President Biden - 57% yes, 42% no
Qualified to Be President Ryan - 60% yes, 38% no
More Likable - Ryan 51 - Biden 41 (Guess that means 8% think both suck)
Who defended his running mate better - Ryan 48% - Biden 41% (Guess that means neither was the rest)
Who are you more likely to vote for as a result of the debate - 28% Romney, 21% Obama, Remainder Neither.

High points from focus group in VA (not the poll, but a different group of undecideds who did the dial thing in VA) - Ryan 8, Biden 5.
Low Points from the focus group in VA - Ryan 1, Biden 8.

Might have a few of these a bit off but all are directionally accurate.

Last edited:

Who defended his running mate better - Ryan 48% - Biden 41% (Guess that means neither was the rest)
Who are you more likely to vote for as a result of the debate - 28% Romney, 21% Obama, Remainder Neither.

High points from focus group in VA (not the poll, but a different group of undecideds who did the dial thing in VA) - Ryan 8, Biden 5.

CNN poll was of likely voters, not undecideds. Error +/- 5%. CBS poll was solely of undecideds.

DeacMan drove by that poll and he knows what he is talking about! Your silly "facts" won't sway him.

Thought Biden controlled the debate and gave more specifics. He nailed Ryan on a number of things and simply sounded more experienced (as he should). His expressions were goofy but I think he still won the debate.

Pubs here are really just arguing that Biden didn't crush Ryan, not that Ryan won

I think any national poll of just the general population is going to show a tie if Ryan or Romney technically lose. There are so many people that are so anti-obama, especially the older generation that really can't stand that he is black that there is no way they would ever admit to the "other side" winning. Last week with the presidential debate there are enough people that are willing to admit defeat that all polls had it going away for Romney, if the exact same thing happened to Romney I bet the polls wouldn't have been close to what they were against Obama. Now before anyone on the board gets their panties in a wad, I said the general population not posters on this board who usually are fairly rationale about their thoughts though we do have the usual suspects.

This poll obliterates any hope among libs that Biden routed Ryan tonight...only 21% of undecideds are more likely to vote for Obama-funny that matches conventional wisdom that very few undecideds back the incumbent once the vote takes place...

Doesn't matter what anti-Obama people thought. This wasn't going to change them.

BTW, Sean Hannity calling anyone condescending, frequently interupting, and rude is fucking hilarious.

And like the sun rises in the East, he and the RNC leader are already floating the idea something was wrong with Biden tonight, we don't know what, but it's definitely sketchy...just saying...

its one thing to be a partisan hack political commentator. its another thing to be the Vice President of the US

Doesn't matter what anti-Obama people thought. This wasn't going to change them.

Flip side too. The question is if it swayed the morons who are undecided. My guess is it didn't. Hell, I keep up with issues and that debate was a mess of facts, untruths, minutiae... I don't think Joe Six Pack was locked in...

I thought it was close. Biden won but looked very old. Ryan appeared better than I expected.

Back