• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

TIERS!!!

The funny thing is that I swear Sidney Lowe has two or three of those wins in Winston. He was the anti Manning with a ridiculous percentage of his conference wins coming against wake

It must suck to be a State fan. We beat the crap out of them in everything all the time. They can't even beat one of the worst Wake teams of all time. Hilarious.

Back around the turn of the century Ph got banned from the State board in a blaze of glory. I believe it was after a basketball game in the Sendek era at State and either at the end of Odom's tenure or the beginning of Skip's. The whole premise of the post was that Wake Forest was tiers above State in every way imaginable. At the time there were a lot more State fans posting on our board and vice versa, and quite the board rivalry. It would be brought up regularly thereafter for a few years every time we beat them but it's been a while. Good stuff.

My favorite State-related fact is that they haven’t won the ACC in football (including their division) or basketball (regular season or tournament) since 1989.

They haven't won an ACC Football championship since 1979 (when the ACC only had 7 teams). But they did win the Gator Bowl that one year. So they've got that going for them, which is nice.

Back around the turn of the century Ph got banned from the State board in a blaze of glory. I believe it was after a basketball game in the Sendek era at State and either at the end of Odom's tenure or the beginning of Skip's. The whole premise of the post was that Wake Forest was tiers above State in every way imaginable. At the time there were a lot more State fans posting on our board and vice versa, and quite the board rivalry. It would be brought up regularly thereafter for a few years every time we beat them but it's been a while. Good stuff.

That's pretty close to what I remember. I'm not sure if it was after I got banned or led to the banning, but it was around that time. I do remember I got banned after posting a thread on their boards when we got a commit from Chris Ellis to close out the Big E/JGray class in Sept 2001, sometime around 9/11. We beat State for both highly prized in-state recruits, so basically I was talking shit. It wasn't a blaze of glory. They just got tired of me. I remember most of what they banned me for was stuff I posted on our own boards. They were just really salty fans.

It was a particularly contentious time. The internet message board culture was still in its infancy. Wake, State, UNC, Duke, MD, and a few other ACC teams had their main or secondary boards on ACCBoards.com. We were all on the same server and everybody regularly posted on each others boards. It was pretty cool. Most of the other team posters got along really well. We met up with each other at tailgates. A Wake poster even got married to another team's poster she originally met on the boards.

State basketball was also starting a resurgence after a horrible 90s in the Les Robinson era. Wake was starting to fall off after a strong 1990s in the Duncan era. So basically the two programs were coming back toward each other and State fans started feeling themselves on the boards. After one big basketball win in 2000, 2001, or 2002, I posted something to the effect of "Even when Wake is at our worst, we're TIERS above State." One of the ultimate TIERS moments was beating State in football in 2003 when they were coming off their magical 8-5 Gator Bowl season in Phillip Rivers' senior year.

Now it gets posted pretty much any time we have a big win against State.

I've seen more Wake gear around uptown Charlotte today than I've seen in the entirety of the last year. Troll on Wake fans, troll on.

That's pretty close to what I remember. I'm not sure if it was after I got banned or led to the banning, but it was around that time. I do remember I got banned after posting a thread on their boards when we got a commit from Chris Ellis to close out the Big E/JGray class in Sept 2001, sometime around 9/11. We beat State for both highly prized in-state recruits, so basically I was talking shit. It wasn't a blaze of glory. They just got tired of me. I remember most of what they banned me for was stuff I posted on our own boards. They were just really salty fans.

It was a particularly contentious time. The internet message board culture was still in its infancy. Wake, State, UNC, Duke, MD, and a few other ACC teams had their main or secondary boards on ACCBoards.com. We were all on the same server and everybody regularly posted on each others boards. It was pretty cool. Most of the other team posters got along really well. We met up with each other at tailgates. A Wake poster even got married to another team's poster she originally met on the boards.

State basketball was also starting a resurgence after a horrible 90s in the Les Robinson era. Wake was starting to fall off after a strong 1990s in the Duncan era. So basically the two programs were coming back toward each other and State fans started feeling themselves on the boards. After one big basketball win in 2000, 2001, or 2002, I posted something to the effect of "Even when Wake is at our worst, we're TIERS above State." One of the ultimate TIERS moments was beating State in football in 2003 when they were coming off their magical 8-5 Gator Bowl season in Phillip Rivers' senior year.

holy hell. was it that long ago?

From a basketball standpoint, it will be tough to top the "Where would our 2nd team finish in the ACC standings?" thread years ago on the State board which was posed as a serious question.

But on the football side, the State board meltdown following the 2003 football ass kicking still takes the cake.

That idiot James "Hendu" Henderson was a moderator on the State board and he locked threads left and right including the infamous prediction thread from Adam Fletcher claiming it will be decades before Wake ever beats State in football.

I miss the format of the old ACC Boards, we interacted so much more with fans of other schools, and the Town Square was a great way to talk about things like video games, polítics, and whatever else. I miss a lot of those old posters #RIPOTF

2003 was PhiLLLLip's senior year (I wonder how many will get that reference?). We played them at Groves a week before they played Ohio State, and we ran all over them. They ended up winning the Gator Bowl that year against an unmotivated ND team, after Maryland beat them (again), this time in Raleigh on Senior Night. I still remember the screencap of the scoreboard that a MD fan posted, listing Rivers' accomplishments, unfortunately located directly over the final score

Yeah 2003 was Rivers’ senior year. I phrased it poorly above because I added in the Gator Bowl reference.

Last edited:
State had a bunch of fans who loved to come to our board and act like we were lucky to even deem to be competitive with them in any major revenue sport. Of course when people gave them a little taste of their own medicine they absolutely hated it. I remember before that 2003 game is when Adam Fletcher remarked that it would be decades before wake beat State in football again.

2003 was PhiLLLLip's senior year (I wonder how many will get that reference?). We played them at Groves a week before they played Ohio State, and we ran all over them. They ended up winning the Gator Bowl that year against an unmotivated ND team, after Maryland beat them (again), this time in Raleigh on Senior Night. I still remember the screencap of the scoreboard that a MD fan posted, listing Rivers' accomplishments, unfortunately located directly over the final score

RE: Rivers. I'll never forget we were totally whipping their asses. Game was essentially over and Rivers picked up a cheap TD throw. The assclown went up and down the Wake sidelines wagging his finger at our coaches and bench.

I've never pulled for arrogant prick since.

That was the game every Moo-U fan around us, pre-game, were talking about their heralded trip to Columbus. Watching them slither out of Groves was precious.

While we're going down memory lane, what was the name of Ken's site that bridged the gap between AOL Message Boards and ACCBoards.com?

Back