• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

To DirecTV or not to DirecTV

Bump.

DirecTV has been fine for a year, but my bill is about to double (it was 'steeply cheaper' because of the first year rates and discounts, and free Sunday Ticket), which is not fine. I think I'm going to switch back to TWC for a couple reasons:

-I don't give two fucks about Sunday Ticket, I just want RedZone which I can get individually with TWC. Also, DirecTV's Red Zone Channel is inferior to the regular RedZone offered to everyone else.
-My current package does not have some fringe, but sometimes useful, channels: NHL Network, CBS Sports Network, FS2, and Golf Channel to name a few.
-I can rectify all of the above, and pay less moving forward (most important factor for me), by switching to TWC.

My mind is basically made up, and I don't think they could slash my bill enough to keep me from switching, but just in case - any tips for the cancelling conversation?

We just did the same thing a couple months ago when we moved. Twc triple play was cheaper than only getting tv from directv, where we still had to get twc Internet a la carte. Wife made the cancellation call because the original contract was in her name and she is pretty ruthless.

I was thinking about making a switch to DirecTV but TWC really stepped up to the plate. Free Signature Home Whole House DVRs for every room, their fastest internet, and free HBO/sports package for a year. And it's like $90 for TV and internet.

I kept threatening to cancel until they lowered the price, upgraded the DVRs (huge reason why I wanted to leave), and threw in a few extras. I technically have phone service too (they get a commission for selling the Triple Play) but I don't even have a phone hooked up.

I'm grateful to have TWC over Comcast. Way too many horror stories of people having their internet throttled with Comcast.

Until someone else has a wireless cable box, I will be sticking with the AT&T/Uverse crappy customer service.

Look into Playstation Vue (you don't need a Playstation but you do need some kind of streaming device).

Look into Playstation Vue (you don't need a Playstation but you do need some kind of streaming device).

So far so good. Works better on Amazon stick then Apple TV. Dvr feature is bueno. I'm intrigued by the pending Hulu offering...

Glad we ditched DirecTV - not only are we getting good service from Fios and saving a little cash, I finally got my TiVo box back. Fun bleeps and bloops are re-entering my life!

So far so good. Works better on Amazon stick then Apple TV. Dvr feature is bueno. I'm intrigued by the pending Hulu offering...

What are the selling points of PlayStation Vue?

I'm considering a switch as well. I'm just not sure if I signed a new contract with DTV last time I got my rates cut.

Are you going to get hit with the $20/month penalty for cancelling early or did you only have 1 year rate?

Yes, yes I am. Thank you for bringing that up. I can wait 6 more months, until NFL starts again, to cancel and lessen the fee.

Last edited:
What are the selling points of PlayStation Vue?

I'm considering a switch as well. I'm just not sure if I signed a new contract with DTV last time I got my rates cut.

The plan I'm on is $45 a month. There is no contract so I can cancel at any time.I get all local channels including Comcast SportsNet which I need to watch the local pro teams, and I still get ESPN3, etc. DVR is included, and there's no upcharge for either DVR or HD. I own the streaming devices so there's no outlet fee. My internet bill did go up after I got rid of the package deal with Comcast bu I'm still saving about 120 per month.

I might have to do the Vue thing. I'm sick of having to call and renegotiate a rate all the time with TWC. I think I'm paying like $90 more per month than when I started. My main concerns were local sports and DVR, and it looks like those are both no problem with Vue?

I might have to do the Vue thing. I'm sick of having to call and renegotiate a rate all the time with TWC. I think I'm paying like $90 more per month than when I started. My main concerns were local sports and DVR, and it looks like those are both no problem with Vue?

Check your area. If you go to their website it will tell you exactly what channels you will get with each package. They also do a 7 day free trial so you can try it out to make sure.

I currently have Direct TV but we've talked about switching to Sling and doing the 40 channel lineup and adding the Sports package, in addition to having Netflix and Amazon Prime. It looks like CBS is not available with Sling so we'd have to get CBS All Access for The Masters and football. Anyone have experience with Sling?

Check your area. If you go to their website it will tell you exactly what channels you will get with each package. They also do a 7 day free trial so you can try it out to make sure.

Looks like I don't get CBS. ABC and NBC are on demand. So I would just need to get an antenna, right?

At this point, it's not worth an extra $100/month to watch at most 14 Panthers games in the Fall.

You can just buy Sunday Ticket streaming

Did they have that last year?

Looks like I don't get CBS. ABC and NBC are on demand. So I would just need to get an antenna, right?

At this point, it's not worth an extra $100/month to watch at most 14 Panthers games in the Fall.

It's a bit annoying but you can tack on the CBS app for $5/month on top of Vue. Two months in on Vue and still pretty happy. Not perfect but does the trick. No nickelodean is the only bummer (for kiddies)

Vue is in the middle of a big expansion with CBS. You might have it within a matter of weeks.

Back