• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

To DirecTV or not to DirecTV

This is terrible. I am guessing everyone just borrows TWC credentials, and that there is no way around this? I would switch tomorrow if I had access to WatchESPN through XBox, Chromecast, iPad, etc.

I still use Comcast for my internet since the only DirecTV options were DSL and those are too slow.

I have to use my Dad's TWC login for WatchESPN. This is truly the only drawback (vs. TWC) I have found in the 6 years I've had DirecTv service.

Heavily considering DirecTV once we move - what internet provider do Triad DirecTV users go with? Do I even have options?

Been with DirectTV for 14 years and never had a problem. It goes out in bad weather periodically, say once or twice a year, but the customer service is solid. I must admit I dropped the HBO/Cinemax package that saved me $41.99 a month recently since the kids have turned me on the Roku/Netflix streaming. Will AT&T f em up; good question. But I got some great discounts being a customer for both after switching from Verizon.

directv is great. all the above advice still holds except now we get espn3.

I finally won my DirecTV battle last month so I'm sticking with them, but it was the first time I'd ever been frustrated to the point of leaving over their customer service.

In case it helps someone else here's the story - we've been customers for 10+ years and pay the monthly fee for coverage plus the "every 2 years you can switch to any new equipment available." We had the oldest Genie HD DVR, which is a massive relic. As DirecTV added more features to their software, our receiver became slow and then unbearably slow. A new one came out but they wouldn't replace it. Then yet another even newer one came out and they still wouldn't replace it. Then ours died, wouldn't boot, and they said they'd send us a new one finally... Sure enough, they shipped an old beat-up identical version that took 15-20 seconds to bring up the guide, screwed up recordings, and simply froze for minutes at a time. DirecTV insists that they only have "one" HD DVR, and that all the models are the same because they have the same features. Of course the issue is all over the internet, with lots of theories that AT&T is not willing to take the hit to upgrade hardware.

I finally got a "new" (3 years old now, not even the newest) version by threatening to leave and having a knowledgeable CSR suggest strongly that I complain about my imaginary new TV cabinet and how the old receiver won't fit. There's some special form that needs that type of justification to intervene. They also cut $40/month off our bill for a year to keep us. Helped that the X1 DVR from Comcast is actually a solid alternative now.

If you can get Northstate, get Northstate. They're pretty awesome.

Well, fuck the TWC monopoly. Both Northstate and Uverse are not available.

I still think I'll get DirecTV and pay for TWC internet - that will be steeply cheaper than the 'bundle package' I'm paying for now with TWC.

Well, fuck the TWC monopoly. Both Northstate and Uverse are not available.

I still think I'll get DirecTV and pay for TWC internet - that will be steeply cheaper than the 'bundle package' I'm paying for now with TWC.

This is what I did with Comcast.

I cannot wait until May when future wife moves up here and we can be done with Comcast forever.

I finally won my DirecTV battle last month so I'm sticking with them, but it was the first time I'd ever been frustrated to the point of leaving over their customer service.

In case it helps someone else here's the story - we've been customers for 10+ years and pay the monthly fee for coverage plus the "every 2 years you can switch to any new equipment available." We had the oldest Genie HD DVR, which is a massive relic. As DirecTV added more features to their software, our receiver became slow and then unbearably slow. A new one came out but they wouldn't replace it. Then yet another even newer one came out and they still wouldn't replace it. Then ours died, wouldn't boot, and they said they'd send us a new one finally... Sure enough, they shipped an old beat-up identical version that took 15-20 seconds to bring up the guide, screwed up recordings, and simply froze for minutes at a time. DirecTV insists that they only have "one" HD DVR, and that all the models are the same because they have the same features. Of course the issue is all over the internet, with lots of theories that AT&T is not willing to take the hit to upgrade hardware.

I finally got a "new" (3 years old now, not even the newest) version by threatening to leave and having a knowledgeable CSR suggest strongly that I complain about my imaginary new TV cabinet and how the old receiver won't fit. There's some special form that needs that type of justification to intervene. They also cut $40/month off our bill for a year to keep us. Helped that the X1 DVR from Comcast is actually a solid alternative now.

This explains my tech issues perfectly. Time to make some calls.

I have the X1 Comcast system. Its a little slow and buggy, but when it is actually working well the guide is really good, the search features and OnDemand options are seemingly limitless, and the sports interface is pretty sweet too. Boxes have to be reset somewhat frequently though.

how frequently? has it affected recording shows or just watching them?

They reset every night I think around 3AM. And sometimes the satellite boxes get out of sync with the mother box and have to be reset. Usually only about once every 3-4 weeks.

There is a ridiculous bug in the boxes where you cant turn them off with remote. You have to do it manually. The longer you leave them on though, it seems like the more prone they are to need a hard reset.

I've had the X1 for about 8mos now, its defs slower and buggier than the old boxes but the overall experience is a lot better. I wouldnt switch back.

Also, the dealbreaker with Comcast v DirecTV for me is internet speed. Comcast is blaze and DirecTV just isnt. I have so much shit from cells to tablets to tvs to stereo systems to thermostats that all use my internet, I cant have something wonky.

Bump.

DirecTV has been fine for a year, but my bill is about to double (it was 'steeply cheaper' because of the first year rates and discounts, and free Sunday Ticket), which is not fine. I think I'm going to switch back to TWC for a couple reasons:

-I don't give two fucks about Sunday Ticket, I just want RedZone which I can get individually with TWC. Also, DirecTV's Red Zone Channel is inferior to the regular RedZone offered to everyone else.
-My current package does not have some fringe, but sometimes useful, channels: NHL Network, CBS Sports Network, FS2, and Golf Channel to name a few.
-I can rectify all of the above, and pay less moving forward (most important factor for me), by switching to TWC.

My mind is basically made up, and I don't think they could slash my bill enough to keep me from switching, but just in case - any tips for the cancelling conversation?

I have the sports package with TWC (not sure exactly how much it is a month extra), and get all the channels that you mentioned in your second bullet point. I can check on that price point if you want.

Are you going to get hit with the $20/month penalty for cancelling early or did you only have 1 year rate?

Why is the other RZ channel better than Andrew Siciliano? I like that one.

What is DirecTV's RedZone like? TWC literally shows all the games and is just a brilliant work of tv coverage for NFL Sundays.

Directv has turned into a worse provider than comcast since att acquired it. I cannot recommend a bail action highly enough.

I have the sports package with TWC (not sure exactly how much it is a month extra), and get all the channels that you mentioned in your second bullet point. I can check on that price point if you want.

It's $10/month which is an insane value for a sports junky. You have to upgrade several tiers in DirecTV ($$$) to get all those channels, plus a bazillion you will never watch.

Are you going to get hit with the $20/month penalty for cancelling early or did you only have 1 year rate?

Hmm, I'm not sure. I'm expecting BS 'deactivation' fees, but I'll have to look into if my contract was longer than a year. If it's not, I'll have had service for exactly a year in ~2 weeks.

Why is the other RZ channel better than Andrew Siciliano? I like that one.

What is DirecTV's RedZone like? TWC literally shows all the games and is just a brilliant work of tv coverage for NFL Sundays.

Doofus: they're basically the same thing.

However, Scott Hanson > Andrew Siciliano IMO. I also hate the incessant shilling for the Sunday Ticket channels ("If you want to watch this intriguing Browns @ Chargers matchup, switch to channel 714"), because I'm not changing from God's greatest TV channel. Also, I think Hanson and their producers do a better job of flipping between action and showing multiple games. It's all small stuff, but just reinforces my decision to switch.

Back