• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tokyo Olympics

I wouldn’t waste my time watching this team regardless of when it was on.

I stayed up to watch the golf Saturday night, made it all the way until the last group was headed to 16, fell asleep sitting up long enough to miss the last 3 holes. Should've just taped the damn thing!

I wouldn’t waste my time watching this team regardless of when it was on.

What is wrong with this team, other than they're old and weren't great in this tourney? This generation won 2 WCs and an Olympics, whereas our men did the unthinkable and didn't even make the last WC. I get that the red/blue geomatry kits are a crime against humanity.

Seems like nobody got up at 4am to watch the women' underperform again. Good call by us.

The USWNT needs a big clear out.

Agreed. Embarrassing performance. You lose to Canada who you haven't lost to since 2001?
Just forfeit the bronze medal game, prevent further humiliation, and go home.

Last edited:
Agreed. Embarrassing performance. You lose to Canada who you haven't lost to since 2001?
Just forfeit the bronze medal game, prevent further humiliation, and go home.

Yeah that’s a little much. An Olympic medal is a still a massive achievement.

My issue is that the older players have to too much power. There’s no reason Rapinoe, Lloyd or Sauerbrun should be on this team. Heath and Morgan should be on their way out too.

There should have been 3-5 younger players on this squad, using this tournament as a bridge to the next WC. They got lucky that the IOC allowed them to rotate in the alternates, or they may not have even made it out the group.

Midge Purce is more dynamic than any attacker we brought to Tokyo. Cat Macario got zero mins. If you want to give this last generation a sendoff tournament, it should be at the SheBelievesCup, not the Olympics.

What is wrong with this team, other than they're old and weren't great in this tourney? This generation won 2 WCs and an Olympics, whereas our men did the unthinkable and didn't even make the last WC. I get that the red/blue geomatry kits are a crime against humanity.

lol

Why do men's and women's soccer at the Olympics have different rules about the age of players? Are there just not enough good/competitive women's teams if you have the same rules as the men?

My issue is that the older players have to too much power. There’s no reason Rapinoe, Lloyd or Sauerbrun should be on this team. Heath and Morgan should be on their way out too.

There should have been 3-5 younger players on this squad, using this tournament as a bridge to the next WC. They got lucky that the IOC allowed them to rotate in the alternates, or they may not have even made it out the group.

Midge Purce is more dynamic than any attacker we brought to Tokyo. Cat Macario got zero mins. If you want to give this last generation a sendoff tournament, it should be at the SheBelievesCup, not the Olympics.

Agree about older players having too much power, but ultimately on coach as he took easy route and stayed with what had been working vs. recognizing need to bring along more of the younger players and leaving Sauerbrun, Lloyd and probably Rapinoe home. Surely with system we have there are some younger guns ready to make their mark??

I’d like to add O’Hara to list of players that needs to be phased out too. Forgot about her.

I’d like to add O’Hara to list of players that needs to be phased out too. Forgot about her.

As I said earlier, O'Hara is still playing at a high level, and she was 1 of our better players today getting forward and getting a few dangerous balls into the box. She and Press are the 2 over 30 who I can still see playing well in 2 years. Morgan and Heath not so much (and I've been a Heath fan). But this has been a systemic problem with this team over the last 20 years no matter who the coach is. It's like it's institutionalized that older players get to leave when they say, not when an honest talent evaluation says. Just look at that 2015 team when Ellis was still starting an obviously over the hill Wambach during group play. No way that group gets to the final without benching Wambach, inserting Bryan at holding midfielder, moving Lloyd up top and moving Holliday to Lloyd's previous position.

Agree about older players having too much power, but ultimately on coach as he took easy route and stayed with what had been working vs. recognizing need to bring along more of the younger players and leaving Sauerbrun, Lloyd and probably Rapinoe home. Surely with system we have there are some younger guns ready to make their mark??

so Trump was right about the wokeness ruining america.

Exactly; those guys had their moment. Time to move on gang. Photo op over.
If we went with a younger Group rather “star power” we would of danced to the Gold the way we should of. Call it what you want but the women soccer performance for million of youngsters who follow them (boys and girls alike) was dismal.

Why do men's and women's soccer at the Olympics have different rules about the age of players? Are there just not enough good/competitive women's teams if you have the same rules as the men?

It’s because FIFA doesn’t want to give the Olympics any legitimacy (money) when it’s comes to men’s soccer. They want to control all high level international competitions, which is why it’s only sanctioned as a youth tournament and they don’t require teams to release players for it. It’s also only been the last decade or two that FIFA has cared about the women’s game, and the Olympics was the predominate tournament for women until 1999. So the tradition is much stronger for the women’s game. Plus there isn’t enough depth yet for Continental tournaments to truly matter.

I wound personally remove the men’s soccer from the Olympics all together. The calendar is already congested.

A human being just ran 400m in under 46 seconds while jumping over 10 3 feet hurdles. That’s just insane.

USA-Spain tied at 43 at halftime of the quarterfinals. Luka and Slovenia already advanced by beating Germany 94-70.

Back