• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tony Woods

But does he still shoot free throws with his patented over-the-head granny style?

This is such a closed minded point of view and you have just eliminated a good number of our current student athletes. Yes it's incredibly hard to be a parent AND a student AND an athlete, but that is no reason to not give a kid a shot. Whether you know it or not, some of our favorite WF players have had kids out of wedlock while here.

I'm not talking having kids while at Wake. I don't think you read what I wrote. I'm talking about having a kid while in high school. And I'm not really judging it. But you look at the "numbers" and those kids that come to Wake and are already parents before they even hit campus have generally unperformed and often transferred.

Better they go to a place that has easier classes.

LoL... according to Jaybone's theory I guess we should cut half of the football team.

I'm not talking having kids while at Wake. I don't think you read what I wrote. I'm talking about having a kid while in high school. And I'm not really judging it. But you look at the "numbers" and those kids that come to Wake and are already parents before they even hit campus have generally unperformed and often transferred.

Better they go to a place that has easier classes.

Oh I read it and know exactly what you were saying. The "numbers" of the transfers and under performers is inaccurate because a ton of our athletes have kids that the fanbase doesn't know about (nor do they). I knew a good number who had kids in high school and then had very steady performances on the field and/or court while here.

I think Tony Woods is going to be good at Oregon, guess I'm in the minority. Big guys are projects and typically don't blossom until their final couple of years. A change of scenery is good for Tony and I'm pulling for him to have a good season this year.

Oh I read it and know exactly what you were saying. The "numbers" of the transfers and under performers is inaccurate because a ton of our athletes have kids that the fanbase doesn't know about (nor do they). I knew a good number who had kids in high school and then had very steady performances on the field and/or court while here.

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think you're quite getting what I'm saying. If some Wake student has a kid that they don't know about (??? but somehow you know this ???), then that obviously doesn't affect their performance at Wake in class and in sport.

I suppose I should back step a bit and under the assumption that player A has a kid in high school, the kid stays with Mom in hometown and player A comes to Wake with some sort of promise to get more involved in the kid's life when they have graduated then maybe that is not a huge distraction. But if girl friend decides to move to Winston so that player A can co-parent, that's a problem for player A. Unless player A is Chris Paul and he has a huge family network in Winston with guaranteed millions waiting 6, 18 months down the road ...

If you have a chance to sign Player X and he is ranked 75th by scout and has a toddler with his his 17 year old girlfriend - or Player Y who is ranked 95th by scout and is child free - I'm giving the scholly to Player Y

I think Tony Woods is going to be good at Oregon, guess I'm in the minority. Big guys are projects and typically don't blossom until their final couple of years. A change of scenery is good for Tony and I'm pulling for him to have a good season this year.

lol...pull for a guy who fractured his baby mama's back?

Would you take issue with university's cheering for him if he went to UNC? just curious.

half the football team had kids in high school? jesus, that's incredible.

Doubtful. I don't think people are quite distinguishing accidentally having a kid while in college (after established in school) and accidentally having a kid in high school. I am.

Neither is ideal, but obviously you can't keep college athletes from banging hot babes. Can't keep high school athletes from doing it either, but really both should be smart enough to roll one on. But paying those consequences a year or two into your academic career at Wake is way more doable - though I think it would suck personally - that coming into Wake with those responsibilities.

lol...pull for a guy who fractured his baby mama's back?

Would you take issue with university's cheering for him if he went to UNC? just curious.

Dude. Without regurgitating a discussion that went on forever, Tony's chica said the back injury came a week earlier when she fell out of a bunk bed or something like that.

I think both Tony and his girlfriend got into a heated argument and the woman's mother blew it out of proportion. His girlfriend wanted all charges to be dropped as long as he went to anger management.

If you have a chance to sign Player X and he is ranked 75th by scout and has a toddler with his his 17 year old girlfriend - or Player Y who is ranked 95th by scout and is child free - I'm giving the scholly to Player Y

The problem is, if you think about the timing, usually those types of things happen after a school has been recruiting and/or offered a scholarship to the player and/or the player has already committed. So that become quite a difficult situation, doesn't it?

I dont think you can throw out some blanket policy. If a player has some special family circumstances that needs to be taken in to consideration during the recruiting process, then so be it, I have no problem with that. But each case has to be taken individually.

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think you're quite getting what I'm saying. If some Wake student has a kid that they don't know about (??? but somehow you know this ???), then that obviously doesn't affect their performance at Wake in class and in sport.

I suppose I should back step a bit and under the assumption that player A has a kid in high school, the kid stays with Mom in hometown and player A comes to Wake with some sort of promise to get more involved in the kid's life when they have graduated then maybe that is not a huge distraction. But if girl friend decides to move to Winston so that player A can co-parent, that's a problem for player A. Unless player A is Chris Paul and he has a huge family network in Winston with guaranteed millions waiting 6, 18 months down the road ...

I never said anything about a player not knowing that he or she had a kid while here. I said that we have had a lot where the fans did not know that he or she had a kid. Maybe we should only take athletes from private schools since the rigors of Wake are greater than that of the public school system. Maybe we should only take players whose biological parents are still married because that would eliminate the pressure of having to be the man of the house while away at college. Maybe we shouldn't take players who have younger siblings so that they don't have the pressure of being a role model. Maybe we shouldn't let poor people in because of the financial burden from back home. Anything in life can be made into a "huge distraction" based upon the way the individual handles it. Did you ever stop to think that some of the guys play even harder because they know it's their shot to provide a great financial future for their kid?

LOL.. I read the same article. You believed it? oooooook

I don't have the time or patience to do it right now, but, Numbers, please pull some of this clown's posts from the Paterno thread and skewer him and spill his brains (if applicable) out on the sidewalk for all to see. Thanks!

I think both Tony and his girlfriend got into a heated argument and the woman's mother blew it out of proportion. His girlfriend wanted all charges to be dropped as long as he went to anger management.

Ok. Keep it real for one second. Take off your black/gold goggles. If this EXACT same story happened at UNC, would you believe the 'change in story', or would you stick to this article... remember, instead of Wake, use UNC..and then tell me what you think...

http://www.news-record.com/content/2010/10/05/article/commentary_wakes_woods_runs_legal_fast_break

Doubtful. I don't think people are quite distinguishing accidentally having a kid while in college (after established in school) and accidentally having a kid in high school. I am.

Neither is ideal, but obviously you can't keep college athletes from banging hot babes. Can't keep high school athletes from doing it either, but really both should be smart enough to roll one on. But paying those consequences a year or two into your academic career at Wake is way more doable - though I think it would suck personally - that coming into Wake with those responsibilities.

Smart enough to roll one on? Are you really this dense? Condoms break and birth control can fail, especially if the woman is on an antibiotic. It's one thing if you had said "has 3 kids by 2 or 3 different girls."

Back