• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tony Woods

I stand my belief that Wake should not offer schollys to any kid in any sport that is already a parent. Just shouldn't do it. Being a student athlete is hard enough at Wake. Add the stresses of baby or toddler and a possibly murky commitment to the mother ... just not a stew that usually produces focused performances in sport or probably classroom.

Go to Clemson, Georgia, West Virginia. If you think you have a shot at making money at your sport, get an easier education somewhere. Don't go to Wake. It's a mistake for all parties.

I know Rusty was a parent while at Wake, but he didn't COME IN TO SCHOOL a parent and he got married while in school (I think) before he started to bum rush life and get started on being a parent 5-10 years before he probably should have (what's the freakin rush?)

If I am not mistaken there are no current parents on our current hoops roster ...

You are, of course, aware that Tony Woods did not have a child when he initially enrolled at Wake Forest, correct?

I don't have the time or patience to do it right now, but, Numbers, please pull some of this clown's posts from the Paterno thread and skewer him and spill his brains (if applicable) out on the sidewalk for all to see. Thanks!

Excuse me? What the hell did I say wrong about Paterno?

All I have said was; so far, I agree firing all those people was right, and I'm interested to see what else comes out from the investigation?

What the hell is wrong with that? So far, I agree with ALL the action that has taken place, there needs to be more, and I'm interested to see what that action is. Like you , I'm sitting back waiting for the remaining part of the story/cover up to be uncovered...

What the hell does this have to do with a guy who plead guilty to assaulting a woman?

If you didn't assault a woman, would you plead guilty to it? clown

Ok. Keep it real for one second. Take off your black/gold goggles. If this EXACT same story happened at UNC, would you believe the 'change in story', or would you stick to this article... remember, instead of Wake, use UNC..and then tell me what you think...

http://www.news-record.com/content/2010/10/05/article/commentary_wakes_woods_runs_legal_fast_break

Word from someone very close to the situation is that the Tony Woods situation was much murky then it first appeared. Based off of this very reputable source I tend to agree with number's take.

I don't have the time or patience to do it right now, but, Numbers, please pull some of this clown's posts from the Paterno thread and skewer him and spill his brains (if applicable) out on the sidewalk for all to see. Thanks!

beat me to it

Ok. Keep it real for one second. Take off your black/gold goggles. If this EXACT same story happened at UNC, would you believe the 'change in story', or would you stick to this article... remember, instead of Wake, use UNC..and then tell me what you think...

http://www.news-record.com/content/2010/10/05/article/commentary_wakes_woods_runs_legal_fast_break

So you're more willing to believe in a conspiracy theory which involves Woods' lawyer, the judge in the case, the DBO at Wake, and Forsyth County's elected DA than the fact that the girlfriend's family didn't want charges pressed and that's why everyone came to the misdemeanor plea?

DA's offer plea bargains all the time for this kind of thing. Tony's girlfriend wasn't going to testify and she was the key witness in the case. O'Neill isn't going to take a public case to trial and then lose when no one is interested in Woods' having a felony: not the girlfriend, not the mother, not anyone involved in the situation.

The plea had absolutely nothing to do with affiliation, ability to play basketball, or anything you want to believe it does (which I'm really not even sure what you're trying to argue). This was just a typical plea bargain.

The problem is, if you think about the timing, usually those types of things happen after a school has been recruiting and/or offered a scholarship to the player.

I dont think you can throw out some blanket policy. If a player has some special family circumstances that needs to be taken in to consideration during the recruiting process, then so be it, I have no problem with that. But each case has to be taken individually.

Sure. Reasonable response and you are probably correct. I have some strong opinions on what is best for a kid, and I don't think the Wake experience is for everyone. A Wake degree is better than a WVU one, but if a kid is miserable and feels isolated at Wake, then it wasn't the best choice probably. Football team is a bit easier because they can really get lost within their class of recruits.

So you're more willing to believe in a conspiracy theory which involves Woods' lawyer, the judge in the case, the DBO at Wake, and Forsyth County's elected DA than the fact that the girlfriend's family didn't want charges pressed and that's why everyone came to the misdemeanor plea?

DA's offer plea bargains all the time for this kind of thing. Tony's girlfriend wasn't going to testify and she was the key witness in the case. O'Neill isn't going to take a public case to trial and then lose when no one is interested in Woods' having a felony: not the girlfriend, not the mother, not anyone involved in the situation.

The plea had absolutely nothing to do with affiliation, ability to play basketball, or anything you want to believe it does (which I'm really not even sure what you're trying to argue). This was just a typical plea bargain.

I believe the GF didn't want her baby daddy doing time. That she needs him, needs him to go to school, graduate and not be labeled a 'woman beater'..that's why they didn't press charges. And your kidding yourself if a UNC player goes through the whole thing, has an entire UNC ALumni process the case, and then Pleas...you are going to be suspicious...and you know it. Whatever, he's gone, who cares, but I'm not cheering for him...

You are, of course, aware that Tony Woods did not have a child when he initially enrolled at Wake Forest, correct?

I think he did. I think the one with the girlfriend at Wake is his second kid but I could be confusing him with Ari.

Last edited:
I believe the GF didn't want her baby daddy doing time. That she needs him, needs him to go to school, graduate and not be labeled a 'woman beater'..that's why they didn't press charges. And your kidding yourself if a UNC player goes through the whole thing, has an entire UNC ALumni process the case, and then Pleas...you are going to be suspicious...and you know it. Whatever, he's gone, who cares, but I'm not cheering for him...

I believe that Penn State solicited teen boys for wealthy alumns in exchange for fund raising dollars. You see how this works? I don't need facts when I have belief!

I don't think anyone is debating it. I think some of us are trying to understand if we know everything yet...which it sounds like we do, but pardon some of us if we make sure we know everything about a guy that we admired for years.

I do enjoy this quote about your beloved Penn State in light of your lack of understanding of this case.

Interesting difference between the two

I think he did. I think the one with the girlfriend at Wake is his second kid.

I don't think this is the case, but I could be wrong. Ari had a kid in high school but I thought he was the only one we had recruited who had one.

I used to know this due to facebook but I forget who had two kids and who had one.

I think he did. I think the one with the girlfriend at Wake is his second kid but I could be confusing him with Ari.

Facebook only has pictures of the one.

One has been to court, one hasn't. No difference? Ok.

Well you questioned the way the court handled the Woods' case so why should going to court be a determining difference between the two? Does anyone think JoePa could go anywhere in Pennsylvania and have a truly impartial case? Of course not. Even if he could, who's to say I don't play the PhillyDeac card and say "well come on it LOOKS suspicious and if it were Ohio State we would all be jumping all over it11111"

I believe that Penn State solicited teen boys for wealthy alumns in exchange for fund raising dollars. You see how this works? I don't need facts when I have belief!

No one on the penn state thread cares about facts. So, the fact that use facts here, it's a negative? Ok.

Well you questioned the way the court handled the Woods' case so why should going to court be a determining difference between the two? Does anyone think JoePa could go anywhere in Pennsylvania and have a truly impartial case? Of course not. Even if he could, who's to say I don't play the PhillyDeac card and say "well come on it LOOKS suspicious and if it were Ohio State we would all be jumping all over it11111"

Fine, you want to stick to comparing the 2 court cases (albeit retarded, I'll play along).

If Joepa came to court and pleaded guilty to harboring information and keeping known pediphiles on staff, I wouldn't turn around and say "Well, he pleaded that, but that's not what really happened"

Paterno probably could be charged if not for his name and the statute of limitations

And here's another point. We are jumping all over it. I know a ton of PSU Alum, and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM wants EVERYONE (including JOEPA) to be prosecuted to the fullest extent. Not sure how to be more clear. If it was happening at Wake, Ohio State, Michigan, USC, ....who cares... I would be screaming for the facts to come out through a proper investigation and prosecute all parties involved. Tell me, what is wrong with that?

Back