• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tonya Harding

RicoSuave

Reaction score
Last night, ESPN aired the Tonya Harding story on 30-for-30 (called "Going for Gold" or something similar). For those of you old enough to remember, she really put ladies' figure skating in the headlines. I was far from a fan of Olympics sports and figure skating in particular, but I remember watching every minute of the drama unfold. It was a fascinating story. The only question that they didn't answer was whether she knew about the conspiracy to injure Kerrigan before it occurred (she just pled guilty to accessory after the fact). Does anybody have an opinion on whether she was in on the plan?

I wonder what her husband looks like now. I remember he was a cheesy looking dude.

Rumor has it that the mastermind was someone in the trailer next to her's.

I didn't follow the story that closely at the time but I thought for sure Harding was in on it. Didn't she and her boyfriend contract out the job?

Not in on it, but tried to cover it up when she found out. That's why she plead no contest to accessory after the fact.

The 30 for 30 was entertaining, I recommend it. It jogged my memory on a lot of the details.

Harding is interviewed throughout the documentary. She really is a piece of work. The best part was her account of the story when she apologized to Kerrigan a few weeks after the attack. (She apologized that her friends did it; she still insists she had nothing to do with it.) Kerrigan apparently blew her off. Harding is still indignant that Kerrigan blew her off, saying "I thought we were friends. Who does she think she is???" LOL. You could tell Harding really relished the attention even though it was 99% negative attention.

I can't believe 1994 was two decades ago.

Harding's husband and the other thugs that carried out the attack claimed that Tonya was in on the plot. But that aspect wasn't tried in court. After watching the documentary, and seeing Tonya's hunger for fame and jealousy for Kerrigan that still burns to this day, I find it really hard to believe that she wasn't part of the plot.

Yeah, she knew, or at least that's what her ex-husband says. Here's a recent interview with him. He no longer looks cheesy.
ku-xlarge.jpg

http://deadspin.com/finding-gillooly-what-happened-to-figure-skatings-inf-1482669790/1495553858/@barryap
I have issues like any other person. The trick is, I think I've had it easy, compared to poor Tonya because she's never admitted to her involvement in it and I think people know that, and they always kind of make fun of her. And she does these interviews, and she tends to be the butt of the joke. It's kind of sad to me.
There never was any solid evidence that Harding knew about the attack—at least, no such evidence was made public. But in an interview this September with the Daily Mail, Kerrigan said that the FBI had told her, "We can't give you hard proof, but we do this for a living, and we are convinced Harding knew."
AKN: It seems, all these years later, that is the one fact that remains disputed. You've consistently maintained that she knew.

JS: Of course she did. I think most people know that she did. She's a very unhappy person, from what I can tell. I don't know. I haven't talked to her in 20 years but I occasionally see her on television and I kind of see—I've read some stories in the paper about what her personal life has become and the trouble she's got there, and it's just sad to me. And that's probably, if I had one real regret, we rode her career. We absolutely rode her career. She was the best figure skater—women's figure skater—that ever lived. Still is, in my opinion. We decided to do something really stupid there, and it ruined her. She'll never be remembered for how wonderful a figure skater she was. She'll be remembered for what I talked her into doing.

Last edited:
Tonya Harding is insane. You can tell she still hates Kerrigan. She is totally delusional. Of course she was in on it. She is the only person that she claims that she wasn't involved.

Two thoughts:

The perpetrators were real idiots; what kind of plan is hitting her in a public place with cameras around?

I actually wanted someone to knock her out when she starts crying "why, why, why!!!"

Proof of Tonya's involvement can be obtained from the notepad they talked about detailing Kerrigan's training. Initially the plan was to hit her at the skate center where she was training. These geniuses called the facility directly and asked when Nancy would be there. They got the info and wrote it down.

Tonya admits this documents exists. She says it isn't her handwriting. The DA said they did analysis on it and confirmed that it is Tonya's handwriting.

She knew about it, she was in on it, and she should have gone to jail for it. The other people involved should have gone to jail for being idiots.

Back