• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Top 10 Greatest Plays under Grobe

SDeacz

Reaction score
1. Alphonso Smith 100 yard interception Return Vs Maryland 2007
2. Chip Vaughn Blocked FG vs Duke 2006
3. Sam Swank Go Ahead FG in ACC Championship Game 2006
4. Willie Idlette 50 yard Punt Return for Touchdown vs #12 NC State 2003
5. Patrick Ghee Interception vs Boston College 2006
6. John Abbate Interception @ UNC 2006
7. Jyles Tucker Strip and Score vs Charlie Whitehurst/Clemson 2005
8. Kevin Patterson Interception for Touchdown @ Florida St 2006
9. Quinten Williams Forced Fumble @ UNC to clinch 32-31 win and 24-0 Comeback 2001
10. Kevin Marion 81 yard TD vs BC 2006

Last edited:
Zo was 2007. The FG block was a more important play for the program but the 100 yard INT and subsequent comeback was the most impressive.

nothing since '06

:(

EDIT: nothing since '07

Kevin Marion's TD run against BC in 2006 needs to be on here.

nothing since '06

:(

EDIT: nothing since '07

That is a perfect reflection on the state of the program and why Grobe decided it was time. We have not had anyone that could step up and make plays when we had to have one in years. Coaching needs to recruit the guys that have that mentality and out them in a position to do it. The end of the Vandy game was the perfect example - a 4th and 11 pass completed between 2 defenders.

3. Sam Swank Go Ahead FG in ACC Championship Game 2006
It may because he was just always so automatic, but that kick didnt impress me as much as the 3 50+ yard FGs to win at State. Hard to equate three plays into one on the list though.

Just looking at the 2006 ACC Championship box score and lol at Reggie Ball/Ga Tech. Ball completed 1 12-yard pass to someone other than Calvin Johnson. The only players with rushing attempts other than Tashard Choice were Ball and Calvin Johnson (2 for negative yards). Talk about a predictable offense. Tashard Choice got cut this morning by the Bills in unrelated news.

Belton's TD run on 4th down from the 1 to put us up 2 TDs vs Maryland (2006).

I still remember that play and Grobe kneeling on the sideline during the timeout and being glad he had the balls to go for it to secure the Atlantic Division title.

Belton's TD run on 4th down from the 1 to put us up 2 TDs vs Maryland (2006).

I still remember that play and Grobe kneeling on the sideline during the timeout and being glad he had the balls to go for it to secure the Atlantic Division title.

I don't remember Belton's TD. All I remember from Maryland 06 was ALOT of Kenny Moore.

It may because he was just always so automatic, but that kick didnt impress me as much as the 3 50+ yard FGs to win at State. Hard to equate three plays into one on the list though.

The kick, in the rain, to take the lead late in the 4th quarter, in the ACC championship was probably tougher than the 50 yarders. The 50 yarders probably took more talent to make. But the pressure on the last kick vs Ga Tech was greater

Just looking at the 2006 ACC Championship box score and lol at Reggie Ball/Ga Tech. Ball completed 1 12-yard pass to someone other than Calvin Johnson. The only players with rushing attempts other than Tashard Choice were Ball and Calvin Johnson (2 for negative yards). Talk about a predictable offense. Tashard Choice got cut this morning by the Bills in unrelated news.

And to think that Chan Gailey got the Buffalo Bills job a few years after this...

My favorite still has to be Boo Robinson's fat man flop pick at FSU in 06. I didn't think that day could get any better, and then that happened. Still probably the most enjoyable game I've ever seen.

Honorable mention -- Cory Randolph 43 yard pass to Chris Davis to win @ BC, opening day 2003.

I have to admit I don't remember the play itself (I have a terrible memory for these things). What I do remember is that it was a 1 pm kickoff and the Yankees were playing a huge game at Fenway at the same time. BC jumped up 14-0 and the scoreboard showed the Red Sox up 3-0 early after winning game 1 against the Yankees. By the end of the day, it was Wake Forest 32-28 and Yankees 10-7. The Yankees won Sunday as well to take the series. It was a glorious weekend in Boston.

Chip Vaughn destroying the GT receiver on the post route in the 2006 ACCCG.

Plackemeier's 82-yarder to help secure the NC State win in 2005 should be on this list. There should be a punt on this list right?

Honorable mention -- Cory Randolph 43 yard pass to Chris Davis to win @ BC, opening day 2003.

I have to admit I don't remember the play itself (I have a terrible memory for these things). What I do remember is that it was a 1 pm kickoff and the Yankees were playing a huge game at Fenway at the same time. BC jumped up 14-0 and the scoreboard showed the Red Sox up 3-0 early after winning game 1 against the Yankees. By the end of the day, it was Wake Forest 32-28 and Yankees 10-7. The Yankees won Sunday as well to take the series. It was a glorious weekend in Boston.

I remember that play for sure. Chris Davis got a 15 yard penalty for kneeling to Pray after the TD. Complete BS

Back