• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Top 10 Greatest Plays under Grobe

I remember Ben Mauk's first ever play (well second, the first was a false start IIRC) was a bomb TD to JA at Clemson. and that was about it for his career...

No mention of the bomb to Willie Idlette to set up the game winning FG in the ACC Championship?

I would go with Idelette's catch to set up the game winning ACCCG FG. That kick was basically a long XP.

and speaking of Ben Mauk, I do have to give credit for recovering that fumble. Kept the drive alive, and though it ended his career, it gave birth to Riley's, which, sadly for Ben, was the best thing that could've happened for the Deacs.

There were several great plays during that 2001 comeback against UNC

There were several great plays during that 2001 comeback against UNC

Definitely. Probably the greatest Half of football a Grobe Team played right with the FSU shutout, and 2nd Half (really the 4th quarter) against Maryland.

Nate Morton TD in the Orange Bowl? Wake will never score another TD in a BCS bowl. Has to be on the list

Maybe not the best - but the most memorable play for me may be the orbit sweep by Idelette that picked up the very last first down in the ACC champ game. I went from thinking that we would run a dive play to not pick up the first down and then watch GT march down for a last second game stealer to "holy shit, we are going to the Orange Bowl" in a matter of seconds.

Or the block one of our receivers made in that game. (Sorry, I'm awful at names.)
Idelette

I loved that play because I had always thought of him as someone to shy away from contact. That play was the absolute opposite. His plays later in the game are the more important things but still, nice play Willie.

Yeah definitely willies catch under double coverage in the acccg. Also Swansons crazy pick when he was 1 on 1 against Calvin Johnson.

D.J. Boldin game-winning TD vs. Clemson in '08 where he broke about six tackles.

Two that I remember for some reason, but not in super important games, were Idlette's punt return against State in 2003 when everyone was cranking it to Phil Rivers and thinking National Championships and shit, and Idlette's winner against BC in 2004. I don't know why, but those two stick out when I think about it. All the others listed above are obviously boss, too.

381104_INTERCEPT.JPG

Belton's TD run on 4th down from the 1 to put us up 2 TDs vs Maryland (2006).

I still remember that play and Grobe kneeling on the sideline during the timeout and being glad he had the balls to go for it to secure the Atlantic Division title.

This is, without question, my favorite play in the Jim Grobe era.

It would be awesome if we could get Video Clips of all these plays. I'll look through my Recorded games and see what I have.

Paging Drew...... ;-)

Aaron Curry interception return vs. State
Marion KO return TD vs. UNC
Skinner to Tereshinski TD vs. UConn in bowl game

Back