• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2011/12 Premier League Thread (NWT)

Maxwell has been superb as a backup for us. Don't think he's caused a stink about being a backup either. And he'd get plenty of playing time with a walking injury ahead of him

I know he has been mainly a backup for you guys, but would he switch clubs (and step down a level) to continue to be a backup to some 21 year old?

I think he would over being third choice to Adriano and Abidal as it now stands. I don't know though good question. Might be good for us to keep him anyway with last year's injuries and Abidal's effectiveness at centerback

Last point of yours a good one, especially with Puyol struggling with those injuries more often now-a-days. Abidal fills in there very well.

Per ESPN insider

Michael Essien suffered a knee injury in training early on Friday and Chelsea fears for the worst.
According to the rumors reflected by ESPN in the UK, Essien may have damaged his cruciate ligaments and if that is confirmed he could miss a huge part of next season if not even the whole season.

Essien needs to go through some test to see what the extent of the injury is.

- Sebastian Garcia

Which cruciate ligaments? There are differing recovery times/procedures involved for an acl/pcl/lcl/mcl. He really got nailed if he tore his pcl

Jody Morris tweets that Essien did his "cruciate" in during chelski's first training session:

morriskid jody morris
Sad news about michael essien...1st day full training aswell...

morriskid jody morris
Sorry tweeps...heard he done his knee..cruciate... #sadtimes

9:26 this morning.

GET ON MY LEVELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Which cruciate ligaments? There are differing recovery times/procedures involved for an acl/pcl/lcl/mcl. He really got nailed if he tore his pcl

They won't know or a day or so to wait for the swelling to go down. People are speculating that he totally did his knee in from the look of it and could have been more than 1 ligament torn. It really sucks if that is at all true.

His knee is crocked.

If he hit both acl/pcl and a collateral ligament, he's done for a long time.

Especially when you consider the way he plays, it would take a lot of luck and a good surgeon to get him back up to speed.

Plus when you realize the fact that he's already had an acl repair, I'd imagine a revision procedure wouldn't necessarily fill me with confidence. They're tricky.

I don't think we ever see Essien back to his awesome best. Hate it. My favorite non-United player in the PL.

Kenny Dalglish says that Charlie Adam can have the same impact at Liverpool that he did at Blackpool.

Dalglish thinks Liverpool will get relegated?

Sigh...It's July...peak terribleness season for dv7.

Yeah, I despise Chelsea but it's impossible to not respect Essien. A healthy Essien was one of the most destructive center mids I've ever seen, but he somehow tied to it an elegance that guys in that role almost never have. Just a great, great player totally betrayed by his body.

Well said, vad. I completely agree. "Elegant" is about the best, most apt description of Essien I've heard. "Destructive elegance" is even better. Great player whose injuries, sadly, have gotten the better of him.

Man United's roster for the US Tour has been announced:

Goalkeepers: Anders Lindegaard, Ben Amos, Sam Johnstone (De Gea will join mid way thru tour and will wear #1)
Defenders: Rafael, Fabio, Nemanja Vidic, Jonny Evans, Patrice Evra, Rio Ferdinand (Phil Jones will also join late and takes #4)
Midfielders: Michael Carrick, Nani, Anderson, Ryan Giggs, Ji-sung Park, Gabriel Obertan, Ashley Young (will wear #18)
Forwards: Mame Biram Diouf, Federico Macheda, Wayne Rooney, Michael Owen, Dimitar Berbatov

The following players will join the tour late: Chris Smalling, Danny Welbeck, Tom Cleverley, David de Gea, Phil Jones, Javier Hernandez

Errrr...where the hell is Fletcher?

PIG and Gibson don't make the tour leading me to believe they will soon be gone. Best of luck to them.

Back