• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2017/18 Premier League Thread (NWT)

I think this narrative is the one getting lost in Wenger's departure. Arsenal hasn't really spent the money/brought in the players to challenge for the top 4, let alone a title.

A new coach MAYBE could have gotten more of this squad but its definitely not challenging for the title.

The press seems to have cycled through a new front runner for the job every 3-4 days for the last few weeks, with the latest being the detour over Buvac. Enrique got most of the hype in the 72 hours after Arsene was forced out. Now they seem to be re-running the cycle again. My point really being that the English football press seems to be full of boring and unimaginative cunts.

I've long wondered (and asked Arsenal friends here and elsewhere) how they could blame Wenger, specifically and exclusively, for not spending money on players. Why would any manager refuse money for new signings?

Someone on here gave me an earnest but frankly confusing explanation some years ago. Can't remember who. Will be interesting to see how the next few years go, since now there are no longer any generational managers in the League.

Looking well like everyone besides the big six+Everton will have been out of the Prem as recently as six years ago. And only would go up to seven if Swansea survive. Pretty remarkable

Consider for a second, everything that’s had to happen for West Brom to come in today still alive in its quest to avoid relegation.

1) West Brom beat United at United.
2) West Brom come from 2 back late in the 2nd half to tie Liverpool.
3) West Brom beat Newcastle at Newcastle.
4) West Brom beat Spurs with a stoppage time goal in a goal mouth scramble.
5) Everton gets a 96th minute goal off of a deflection in a game against Southampton that was supposed to end with only 4 minutes of stoppage time.

While the dream is over with today's win by Southampton, it was a remarkable run for a couple of weeks.

Only prediction I'll make is I think Huddersfield stays up. Wagner is a beast, their style should translate well to the division and they've bought well

BOOM! (conveniently ignoring my other predictions)

Some serious fight from those Terriers

So Liverpool only need a tie against Brighton to finish top 4.

Yeh. Another year with a ton of excitement before the final day -- but then a pretty dull final day.

Barring something utterly whack happening at Anfield or the Liberty/St. Mary's

Most wins in an EPL season - Man City 2017-2018
Most goals in an EPL season - Man City 2017-2018
Most points in an EPL season - Man City 2017-2018
Largest goal differential in an EPL season - Man City 2017-2018
Most consecutive wins - Man City 2017-2018
Most away wins in a season - Man City 2017-2018

Dominant. Absolutely dominant.

Rooney is off to DC, lateral move from Everton?

If it was to a good MLS team, you could maybe make the case. The EV has sucked this year.

Regardless, happy to dump the wages and the PR pressure to play him. His goals certainly saved us earlier in the season when nobody could score, but his form since January has been brutal. He's finished in top flight football. That being said he could be a high-caliber MLS deep lying playmaker if that's how DC chooses to play him. He still has the occasional Hollywood ball in him and his field vision is elite. He just cant keep up with the Premier League pace anymore.

Hopefully he's more Schweiny than Pirlo

Back