• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2018/19 Premier League Thread (NWT)

Spurs still negotiating for Ndombele and Lo Celso. 500 days since we made a signing. Fans now certain that richer clubs will swoop in and steal these guys.

Also sounds like we're speaking with Leeds about Jack Clarke but the reporting is mixed. Haven't heard anything new on Ryan Sessegnon lately.

Spurs still negotiating for Ndombele and Lo Celso. 500 days since we made a signing. Fans now certain that richer clubs will swoop in and steal these guys.

Also sounds like we're speaking with Leeds about Jack Clarke but the reporting is mixed. Haven't heard anything new on Ryan Sessegnon lately.

So why are they interested in Lo Celso. Who is he supposed to replace or how does he strengthen them. Not that he's a bad player. But I have a hard time envisioning a "richer" club swooping in to sign him.

In other news is it true Juan Mata is going to extend his stay at Man United? Why would either side want that to happen?

And Rodri and Cancelo to Man City both look pretty much done. If true that pretty much addresses two of the three areas of "need" the club has.

In other news is it true Juan Mata is going to extend his stay at Man United? Why would either side want that to happen?

And Rodri and Cancelo to Man City both look pretty much done. If true that pretty much addresses two of the three areas of "need" the club has.

Cancelo is a move that makes absolutely no sense

Rodri kinda does, but does that mean Fernandinho is just getting phased out or moved back to being a CB? and if it means he is getting moved back to a CB then the Cancelo move makes less sense as that is a spot taken away from where Walker could move to

don't think either make sense

both good players tho, and you can never have enough of those.

hahahahaha THREE YEAR deal for Mata?

I freaking love the guy, but that is just a silly long extension. He is already clearly on the down slope of his career.

Kyle Walker extends his contract with MCFC

Cancelo makes even less sense to me now

Cancelo is 4 years younger than Walker and 2 years younger than Danilo. I get it if you don't rate him as a player, but it makes sense to build the squad depth.

Cancelo is a move that makes absolutely no sense

Rodri kinda does, but does that mean Fernandinho is just getting phased out or moved back to being a CB? and if it means he is getting moved back to a CB then the Cancelo move makes less sense as that is a spot taken away from where Walker could move to

don't think either make sense

both good players tho, and you can never have enough of those.

Cancelo means Mendy will be moving on. And Delph is not exactly a first choice back.

Fernandinho is something like 82 years old and moving into the final year of his contract.

Cancelo means Mendy will be moving on. And Delph is not exactly a first choice back.

Fernandinho is something like 82 years old and moving into the final year of his contract.

Cancelo isn't a left back or left-wing back

And he sure as shit isn't a DM

So not sure the point of this post ??????????????????????

Townie's point above is accurate as I said yesterday or the day before (not sure which)
You can never have enough good players

But you can only play 11 at a time

mendy should absolutely not move on, and city would be stupid to want him to

zinchenko and delph and others are not really left backs

what, deacman?

mendy should absolutely not move on, and city would be stupid to want him to

zinchenko and delph and others are not really left backs

what, deacman?

Mendy is not liked by Guardiola, that isn't news. The rub is he is not a hard worker in training. Not respected by all his teammates for it either. So yeah, I think he may move on.

And Cancelo will play LB. I can't imagine why else they make the signing. He's played there in the past. And he surely knows what they expect, assuming he signs.

Cancelo isn't a left back or left-wing back

And he sure as shit isn't a DM

So not sure the point of this post ??????????????????????

Townie's point above is accurate as I said yesterday or the day before (not sure which)
You can never have enough good players

But you can only play 11 at a time

Rondri is the DM replacement for Fernandinho, not Cancelo. And Cancelo has played LB, quite a bit of it actually. Also, you could envision him at RB with Walker having played some CB last season at times. Regardless they need more cover on the outside of their defense assuming Mendy is shipped off.

Last edited:
hahahahaha THREE YEAR deal for Mata?

I freaking love the guy, but that is just a silly long extension. He is already clearly on the down slope of his career.

Not trying to pile on but it still doesn't seem like United have a clear plan. Adding a young winger in James when you have multiple wingers already in front of him. Bringing Mata back for 3 years?! Letting Herrerra leave. All odd choices imo.

Mendy is not liked by Guardiola, that isn't news. The rub is he is not a hard worker in training. Not respected by all his teammates for it either. So yeah, I think he may move on.

And Cancelo will play LB. I can't imagine why else they make the signing. He's played there in the past. And he surely knows what they expect, assuming he signs.

Cancelo played LB once last season and RB 18 times in the league, and played 0 times at LB in other comps. He played LB twice the season before. He's one of the more right-foot dominant players in the stats. I'd be pretty surprised if Pep solely wanted him to play LB.

Have to say, while I love Klopp, I do think he's making a mistake being 'content' with the squad.

It's never going to be easier to recruit than after winning CL and with FSG stating multiple times the $ is there. Not saying we need a bunch of guys but spend and get serious quality to add depth and if possible improve upon the starting 11.

ie. Sell Lovren for 20-25 whatever to Milan and bring in someone younger, better and less injury prone. Push the remaining two for a spot. Given their history, Matip, Lovren and even Gomez cannot be relied upon for half a season let alone a full one.

If the trio wasn't injured back in Jan/Feb we might be looking at a double instead of just Champs League. One of those 1-1 ties could have been a 1-0 victory...

Rondri is the DM replacement for Fernandinho, not Cancelo. And Cancelo has played LB, quite a bit of it actually. Also, you could envision him at RB with Walker having played some CB last season at times. Regardless they need more cover on the outside of their defense assuming Mendy is shipped off.

"quite a bit actually"

as in twice?

PositionAppsGoalsAssistsRating
DR (Defender Right)25037.27
Sub (Substitute)5106.41
MR (Midfielder Right)2017.62
DML (Defensive Midfielder Left)1007.62
DL (Defender Left)1007.61
FWR (Forward Right)1007.01
DMR (Defensive Midfielder Right)1016.74

Cancelo is a RB.
If Pep wants to retrain him as something else, Lord knows he can - see Delph as LWB *WUT!?* - but it won't be something he can do from day 1.

Have to say, while I love Klopp, I do think he's making a mistake being 'content' with the squad.

It's never going to be easier to recruit than after winning CL and with FSG stating multiple times the $ is there. Not saying we need a bunch of guys but spend and get serious quality to add depth and if possible improve upon the starting 11.

ie. Sell Lovren for 20-25 whatever to Milan and bring in someone younger, better and less injury prone. Push the remaining two for a spot. Given their history, Matip, Lovren and even Gomez cannot be relied upon for half a season let alone a full one.

If the trio wasn't injured back in Jan/Feb we might be looking at a double instead of just Champs League. One of those 1-1 ties could have been a 1-0 victory...

I totally agree, though I'd rather be looking for cover/rotation for the front 3 and trying to turn those into 2-1s, rather than 1-0s. The front 3 will have played a LOT of soccer once the season starts, and one or two of them might be starting late if their countries go deep in their continental tourneys.

But maybe they can hang on another season, then when Nike becomes the kit supplier and announces Mbappe on the same day, it will all be cool.

Back