• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2018/19 Premier League Thread (NWT)

Rudiger get up you fucking pussy. Bernard isn't nearly tall enough to headbutt you, you fucking fraud.

Rudiger get up you fucking pussy. Bernard isn't nearly tall enough to headbutt you, you fucking fraud.

Definitely headbutt him, though I feel less bothered by the lack of red card after watching Rudiger's antics. Ugly first half and I would bet someone ends up with a red.

Definitely headbutt him, though I feel less bothered by the lack of red card after watching Rudiger's antics. Ugly first half and I would bet someone ends up with a red.

Had some neighbors stop by, so I missed halftime but it sounded like it was an actual headbutt. Didn't see it, but I assume it was as dumb and chicken shit as Richarlison's earlier season. I love their snide, but we need the new Brazilians to be a little more measured. The world is against us, always remember. You have be better than your counterparts.

Gorgeous ball from Siggy, which is of course flubbed by Walcott. I'm so done with Theo. He's not good enough.

Liverpool poaching City's head physio Lee Nobes. Maybe he got tired of City sending everyone to Cugat in Barcelona to get doped.

I think I'd rather have Raheem back, to be honest.

Been really busy and barely contributed to this thread (spent much of free time before the election phone banking) ... but we're well past the 1/4 point of the season so I thought it would be interesting to check in what xG says about the season so far.

https://understat.com/league/EPL

A few things jump out ... the league is more competitive than the table would have you believe, in part because of Liverpool, Tottenham and Arsenal have all overachieved versus their underlying metrics. Bournemouth, Wolves and Watford have all played well enough to be in contention for CL spots and should probably rise up the table a bit as the season goes on.

City and Chelsea are really good, and basically getting results at the level of their performance. They are likely the only two genuine title contenders based on play to this point.

Spurs have been a mess defensively. Alderweireld is a shell of his old self, Vertonghen and Sanchez have been hurt and the fullbacks are terribly unathletic. Some Lloris heroics and frankly a fair bit of luck is propping them up right now. No team in the league has a greater difference between xGA and GA (5.46 goals, which is a huge number in 12 games). The CL, where Spurs have been shipping goals like a sinking Spanish Galleon is a more accurate representation of the team.

Liverpool's attack hasn't scored that many goals, but that's pretty much accurate by xG ... like Spurs their defensive numbers are a bit smoke and mirrors and propping them up in the table. They're still a solid CL spot team, but the goals against are going to go up over the rest of the season and that'll probably spell the end of their title chase.

Arsenal on the other hand ... by xG they have one of the worst attacks among the top half teams, but they have outscored their xG number by a whopping 9.05(!) goals already. Second largest difference in the league is 3.04, for comparison. There's going to be a nasty regression to the mean at some point this season, in all likelihood.

Manchester United is just kind of crap. xG and xGA are basically in line with their performances ... there's no hidden light at the end of the tunnel, this is just a mediocre team.

Wolves have been filthy good defensively. Fulham have been abject, AND somehow unlucky. That's a horrid combination.

Finally - Callum Wilson has had himself a brilliant start. He's 3rd in the league in xG (behind Aguero and Salah, just ahead of Kane) and along with Ryan Fraser (#1 in xA ahead of Silva, Hazard and Salah) is powering a Bournemouth team that should get a European spot at the end of the year. Normally "small" teams climb the table by defending well, but Bournemouth has the 4th best attack in the league by xG. Eddie Howe is a heck of a manager.

This analysis from MOTD is spot on and encapsulates not only how dominate Man City has become, but also just how pathetic and lame Man United has become. Listen to the Man Utd press conference answers and then listen to the analysis offered by the pundits. Comical. 44 passes and a goal. 44. You are supposed to be one of the best clubs in the world. You are down a goal late in the game. And you allow the opposition to run off 44 passes without touching the ball. And then they have the gaul post game to say we "tried our best". If that's your collective best, you suck. Then consider that 9 of their 11 starters were on the squad when Mourinho arrived as manager. Mourinho isn't even playing the guys he's brought into the team.

Mourinho finishing 2nd with that team last year is a crazy accomplishment.

Building that team for £England is a historic waste of money.

It feels to me like they just buy guys to buy them. There is no sense as to how the pieces fit together. And the more you think about it, why is this mess all on Mourinho? It isn't like the last two guys tore it up. They are 12 points off the pace and it isn't even December.

Been really busy and barely contributed to this thread (spent much of free time before the election phone banking) ... but we're well past the 1/4 point of the season so I thought it would be interesting to check in what xG says about the season so far.

https://understat.com/league/EPL

A few things jump out ... the league is more competitive than the table would have you believe, in part because of Liverpool, Tottenham and Arsenal have all overachieved versus their underlying metrics. Bournemouth, Wolves and Watford have all played well enough to be in contention for CL spots and should probably rise up the table a bit as the season goes on.

City and Chelsea are really good, and basically getting results at the level of their performance. They are likely the only two genuine title contenders based on play to this point.

Spurs have been a mess defensively. Alderweireld is a shell of his old self, Vertonghen and Sanchez have been hurt and the fullbacks are terribly unathletic. Some Lloris heroics and frankly a fair bit of luck is propping them up right now. No team in the league has a greater difference between xGA and GA (5.46 goals, which is a huge number in 12 games). The CL, where Spurs have been shipping goals like a sinking Spanish Galleon is a more accurate representation of the team.

Liverpool's attack hasn't scored that many goals, but that's pretty much accurate by xG ... like Spurs their defensive numbers are a bit smoke and mirrors and propping them up in the table. They're still a solid CL spot team, but the goals against are going to go up over the rest of the season and that'll probably spell the end of their title chase.

Arsenal on the other hand ... by xG they have one of the worst attacks among the top half teams, but they have outscored their xG number by a whopping 9.05(!) goals already. Second largest difference in the league is 3.04, for comparison. There's going to be a nasty regression to the mean at some point this season, in all likelihood.

Manchester United is just kind of crap. xG and xGA are basically in line with their performances ... there's no hidden light at the end of the tunnel, this is just a mediocre team.

Wolves have been filthy good defensively. Fulham have been abject, AND somehow unlucky. That's a horrid combination.

Finally - Callum Wilson has had himself a brilliant start. He's 3rd in the league in xG (behind Aguero and Salah, just ahead of Kane) and along with Ryan Fraser (#1 in xA ahead of Silva, Hazard and Salah) is powering a Bournemouth team that should get a European spot at the end of the year. Normally "small" teams climb the table by defending well, but Bournemouth has the 4th best attack in the league by xG. Eddie Howe is a heck of a manager.

Good post. I'll offer something much less interesting:

Back