• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2019/2020 Premier League Thread (NWT)

Didn’t know this

Was clearly accidental contact

That isn't the new law as I've understood it the past 4 seasons.

The 'new' law is that you don't get a red card if you commit a foul while making a genuine attempt for the ball. Luiz committed a foul by being a clumsy oaf (as he does) and he was nowhere near the ball, so it is a sending off for me.

AARON!!

About time we started piling on pressure in Soton's area after the early red card.

Another fantastic ball in by Shaw (the best LB in the league on form -- which shocks me) and AWB sidefoots it home from 5 yards. 1-0! I'd like a big win considering Soton should be chasing shadows being down a man.

That isn't the new law as I've understood it the past 4 seasons.

The 'new' law is that you don't get a red card if you commit a foul while making a genuine attempt for the ball. Luiz committed a foul by being a clumsy oaf (as he does) and he was nowhere near the ball, so it is a sending off for me.

https://www.theifab.com/laws/chapter/32/section/94/

Rule 12.3

It's a sending off, guys.

[h=3]Sending-off offences[/h]A player, substitute or substituted player who commits any of the following offences is sent off:

• denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a handball offence (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)
  • denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent whose overall movement is towards the offender’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick (unless as outlined below)

[h=3]Denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity[/h]Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a handball offence, the player is sent off wherever the offence occurs.
    Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.

A player, sent-off player, substitute or substituted player who enters the field of play without the required referee’s permission and interferes with play or an opponent and denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity is guilty of a sending-off offence.
    The following must be considered:

[*]distance between the offence and the goal

[*]general direction of the play

[*]likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball

[*]location and number of defenders

[*]

The more you know....

2-0! Rashford from Greenwood. Very easy and this could get really bad for Southampton.

I would say that at least 3 of those were total bullshit and a couple other ones were for things that we got a red card and immediately thereafter a different club did the same thing and either got a yellow or nothing at all. Same old Arsenal, always cheated by the PL officials.

So not only do you whine a shit ton about Arsenal but you don't even understand the laws of the game. Plus you rate David Luiz, whom is a total clownshoe defender.

Talk about triple punishment...

So not only do you whine a shit ton about Arsenal but you don't even understand the laws of the game. Plus you rate David Luiz, whom is a total clownshoe defender.

Talk about triple punishment...

You are just clearly wrong about the rule. Also that clownshoe defender has kept 2 clean sheets and conceded only 1 goal against Man United since signing for Arsenal so...yeah.

Last edited:
man, that's a close one. I think it is just outside the box, but hard to tell if it is obvious or not.

You are just clearly wrong about the rule. Also that clownshoe defender has kept 2 clean sheets and conceded only 1 goal against Man United since signing for Arsenal so...yeah.

I literally just posted the rule verbatim from the IFAB.

It backs up what I believed the new law to be -- it is a red card unless a genuine attempt was made on the ball. In no way was that Luiz trip (as clumsy and likely unintentional as it was) a genuine attempt to play the ball. Therefore, it is a sending off and 1 match suspension.

Stop. You're wrong.

https://www.theifab.com/laws/chapter/32/section/94/

Denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity

Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a handball offence, the player is sent off wherever the offence occurs.
Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.

RE: David Luiz

He is sporting a solid 6.33 avg rating this season on whoscored. But he did have an impressive 6.58 last season so maybe he can get back to such lofty standards!

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/27586/Show/David-Luiz

[h=2]David Luiz Characteristics[/h] [h=3]+ Strengths[/h] Blocking the ball
Strong

[h=3]- Weaknesses[/h] Aerial Duels
Weak

Discipline
Weak

Tackling
Weak

the VAR offside rule is so STUPID

that guy was onside not that it matters but thats stupid

RE: David Luiz

He is sporting a solid 6.33 avg rating this season on whoscored. But he did have an impressive 6.58 last season so maybe he can get back to such lofty standards!

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/27586/Show/David-Luiz

[h=2]David Luiz Characteristics[/h] [h=3]+ Strengths[/h] Blocking the ball
Strong

[h=3]- Weaknesses[/h] Aerial Duels
Weak

Discipline
Weak

Tackling
Weak

I said he was decent and consistent, not the trainwreck that most make him out to be which based on what I am seeing is exactly what he is based on your own post. A 6-7/10 most games, exactly what you'd want from your 3rd/4th CB.

A quick 5 and 6. Two good goals by Tony and Scotty, respectively

We are just one of those teams you see now and then
We often score six but we seldom score ten

Back