• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2019/2020 Premier League Thread (NWT)

I've got no problem with anyone being a bandwagon soccer fan in the states. We are all Wake fans which can be an exercise in futility at times, so its nice every once in a while to turn on the TV and watch your team win.

I randomly picked Burnley who are not only bad, but are now know for flying a banner over a pitch about certain lives that matter.... great conversation starter when you try to explain the team you follow.

Seeing that post about the Man U goals that should have been allowed got me thinking....... imagine last game of the year and there is the equivalent of the "AGUUEERROOOOO !" goal that sealed it for City this year, but instead of an immediate reaction, everyone has to wait 5 minutes to see if his ear lobe if offside.

I have avoided choosing a favorite EPL (I did kinda pick a Bundesliga team) because I have no acceptable rubric for making that decision

instead I just pull for individual players, certain competitive scenarios, and just like to watch the best in the in world compete

I definitely lose out on some of the excitement and camaraderie that comes with having a favorite team, but also avoid some of the inevitable disappointment that sports bring

In all honesty (both as a humblebrag and reality), I should have probably been a United fan. I was with a club team playing in a tournament in Brondby in the summer of 1998. Prior to getting there, Brondby was able to secure a pre-season match with United mostly due to Schmeichel's ties to the club. The participating clubs not only got to attend the pre-season match, we we all got to sit field side of a United training session that went on a couple of hours. This was prime Beckham years with fans outside of the practice throwing various items of clothing over the fence during the session. United romped in the friendly and would go on to win the treble that season in absolutely dominating fashion. 75% of my teammates became United fans that summer and the ones that I keep up with mostly still are.

Leeds has been my club since 1992, when I lived in a small, crappy house in Salisbury Maryland with 3 other guys that worked with me at WBOC-TV. One of the guys was an older. guy from Yorkshire who loved American football, but never understood baseball or basketball. His brother sent him tapes of Leeds matches that were literally months old that we would watch as he tried to explain relegation, leagues, cups and Europe competition to a bunch of 22 year old drunks.

He went home and brought me back a jersey, which I still have today. Leeds was a top contender back then, but we (and most Yanks) didn't know who the fuck they were, and there was no such thing as internet for updated information.

I stuck with them through the dark years, and thanks to modern media, actually got to follow them in the last 20 years or so. Not that there was good news except for last season.

That's my Leeds United story and I am sticking to it.

Played Brondby in the group stages of CL that season too. Also had Bayern Munich and Barca in that group. A true group of death.

Bayern won the group and United only went thru as one of the best 2nd place teams (back then it wasn't top 2 that went thru)

Leeds has been my club since 1992, when I lived in a small, crappy house in Salisbury Maryland with 3 other guys that worked with me at WBOC-TV. One of the guys was an older. guy from Yorkshire who loved American football, but never understood baseball or basketball. His brother sent him tapes of Leeds matches that were literally months old that we would watch as he tried to explain relegation, leagues, cups and Europe competition to a bunch of 22 year old drunks.

He went home and brought me back a jersey, which I still have today. Leeds was a top contender back then, but we (and most Yanks) didn't know who the fuck they were, and there was no such thing as internet for updated information.

I stuck with them through the dark years, and thanks to modern media, actually got to follow them in the last 20 years or so. Not that there was good news except for last season.

Thanks again for Cantona!

In all honesty (both as a humblebrag and reality), I should have probably been a United fan. I was with a club team playing in a tournament in Brondby in the summer of 1998. Prior to getting there, Brondby was able to secure a pre-season match with United mostly due to Schmeichel's ties to the club. The participating clubs not only got to attend the pre-season match, we we all got to sit field side of a United training session that went on a couple of hours. This was prime Beckham years with fans outside of the practice throwing various items of clothing over the fence during the session. United romped in the friendly and would go on to win the treble that season in absolutely dominating fashion. 75% of my teammates became United fans that summer and the ones that I keep up with mostly still are.

oh man, it just hit me that the summer of 98 would have been right after Beckham's silly kick out at Simeone in the WC. Persona non-grata #1 for most Englishmen as a result, so I'm sure he didn't mind leaving the country for that friendly and see smiling faces instead of effigies of his likeness.

pos rep I have enjoyed watching several of Leeds' matches this year and like the aggressive play style, but 100% I started watching due to Harrison. Ok 95%. I also like that Leeds is an old school competitive Brit club with strong support that advanced out of relegation.

I have avoided choosing a favorite EPL (I did kinda pick a Bundesliga team) because I have no acceptable rubric for making that decision

instead I just pull for individual players, certain competitive scenarios, and just like to watch the best in the in world compete

I definitely lose out on some of the excitement and camaraderie that comes with having a favorite team, but also avoid some of the inevitable disappointment that sports bring

I did that with the NBA when the Sonics moved and the Hornets changed to the Bobcats and drafted a bunch of heels. I’ve tried to latch onto to other teams (Spurs with Duncan, Clippers with CP3) but it always died when my guy left. I do still root for the Spurs against basically anyone but I’m not a fan.

Minamino to Soton on loan the rest of the season

And pool have a loan coming in as well; Ozan Kabak from Schalke

Ooh, the dark days when Liverpool finished...sixth, eighth, seventh, and second.

(And was runners-up in a league cup and an FA Cup)

It was legit dark days at the end of Hicks and Gillette when Liverpool were betting favorites to go into administration.

Joshua King to Everton on loan
Which led to an opening for Shane Long to join Bournemouth on loan from Soton

Joe Willock to Toon for the rest of the season and Maitland-Niles has joined West Brom

Minamino to Soton on loan the rest of the season

And pool have a loan coming in as well; Ozan Kabak from Schalke
Oh, and I missed that Matip is out the rest of the season so Liverpool also brought in Ben Davies on loan from Preston with a. Option to buy
(Also have an option to buy Kabak)

2-3 mil combuned in loan fees (depending who you believe) is good business by Liverpool when in such a defensive injury crisis

Oh, and I missed that Matip is out the rest of the season so Liverpool also brought in Ben Davies on loan from Preston with a. Option to buy
(Also have an option to buy Kabak)

2-3 mil combuned in loan fees (depending who you believe) is good business by Liverpool when in such a defensive injury crisis

I think Davies is a buy and Kabak is loan with option to buy.

Think the King deal is just til the end of the season when his contract runs out. Doubt we want to invest much in a 29 year old striker.

Back