• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2019/2020 Premier League Thread (NWT)

the year is 2007

fulham finishes 16th and is nearly relegated (near best possible phanhood scenario)

west ham finishes 15th (pretty damn good)

manchester city finishes 14th (also excellent)

reading finishes 8th (almost unacceptable)

everton finishes 6th (horrible, how could i even fathom supporting this club)

thank goodness i didn't choose united, chelsea, liverpool, arsenal, or tottenham (the only worse options)

that 2007 everton squad was too stacked

feed the yak and he will score!

Everton is a fine choice: working class team, in the Midlands, never title contenders. Extra points for never having been relegated in modern era, which is a good consideration for fans just getting into the league.

It is a strange coincidence that the majority of my soccer-watching friends are Everton supporters.

of the wake friends we all probably got on board around the same time, either via the american contingent (howard, donovan) or around the lukaku years

similar for fulham with mcbride and dempsey

i can't imagine studying abroad in london around when i did during the united glory years with ronaldo and rooney and joining that bandwagon then

Guys. United have gone SEVEN SEASONS without the Premiership Title, EIGHT if they don't win it this season. I deserve some sort of award for my loyalty.

People can and should support whatever team they want. But hard not to describe someone as a bandwagoner who chooses a team primarily because they are good at a particular moment in time. Even if in soccer those become lifetime commitments and PL membership is fickle! RIP American fans of Bolton and Portsmouth and Blackburn!

i can't imagine studying abroad in london around when i did during the united glory years with ronaldo and rooney and joining that bandwagon then

Yes, bc we share many of the same values!

In addition to those wake friends, Brasky is probably the person with whom I've watched the most PL soccer over the past decade.

Also, Ole has said that the Referee Association has contacted the club and told them that both controversial decisions in the Sheffield United match were ruled incorrectly. Sheffield United's first goal should have been ruled out and Martial's goal should have counted as Maguire didn't foul their keeper.

Earlier this season they also admitted that Man City's winning goal against Villa shouldn't have stood.

If those were all correctly decided on the pitch and not in "oh sorry, we fucked up even with VAR" communications days after the final whistle, then United are sitting 3 points clear and on top of the table.

BuT uNiTeD gEt AlL tHe DeCiSiOnS. DuRrRrR

People can and should support whatever team they want. But hard not to describe someone as a bandwagoner who chooses a team primarily because they are good at a particular moment in time. Even if in soccer those become lifetime commitments and PL membership is fickle! RIP American fans of Bolton and Portsmouth and Blackburn!

Yep. I don't care who somebody chooses to support but you cannot CHANGE YOUR SUPPORT. Once you've decided, sorry, you're locked in for life.

You can change your clothes, shoes, car, food to eat, religion, or even spouse and children. But you can NEVER change your football club.

Ooh, the dark days when Liverpool finished...sixth, eighth, seventh, and second.

(And was runners-up in a league cup and an FA Cup)

As an Arsenal fan whose team has finished 2nd, 5th, 6th, 5th, 8th, can confirm = dark days.

Everton is a fine choice: working class team, in the Midlands, never title contenders. Extra points for never having been relegated in modern era, which is a good consideration for fans just getting into the league.

It is a strange coincidence that the majority of my soccer-watching friends are Everton supporters.

I also know a fair few Everton supporters, probably 2nd only to Chelsea supporters in my acquaintances. I think it's because when most of the people I know started following the PL, Everton were a safe team to choose because they were good enough that supporting them didn't feel like you were setting yourself up for failure but no one would accuse you of being a bandwagon supporter for it.

Also, Ole has said that the Referee Association has contacted the club and told them that both controversial decisions in the Sheffield United match were ruled incorrectly. Sheffield United's first goal should have been ruled out and Martial's goal should have counted as Maguire didn't foul their keeper.

Earlier this season they also admitted that Man City's winning goal against Villa shouldn't have stood.

If those were all correctly decided on the pitch and not in "oh sorry, we fucked up even with VAR" communications days after the final whistle, then United are sitting 3 points clear and on top of the table.

And if a frog had wings it wouldn't bump its ass on the ground

My UK friends either support their hometown or neighborhood club (Newcastle, Hull, West Brom), a club they've inherited from family and were season ticket holders as kids (Arsenal, West Ham), or they don't care whatsoever about soccer and will claim to be Man U or Chelsea or even Arsenal supporters if pressed.

Most people in the UK couldn't give two shits about "the football" and there are no visible Liverpool or Spurs fans.

I also know a fair few Everton supporters, probably 2nd only to Chelsea supporters in my acquaintances. I think it's because when most of the people I know started following the PL, Everton were a safe team to choose because they were good enough that supporting them didn't feel like you were setting yourself up for failure but no one would accuse you of being a bandwagon supporter for it.

titcr

I know 3 people in rl that gave pretty much that same reasoning for choosing Everton in the past.

As an Arsenal fan whose team has finished 2nd, 5th, 6th, 5th, 8th, can confirm = dark days.
When I lived in the UK it felt like Arsenal were playing Barcelona in the Champions League like every other month.

When I lived in the UK it felt like Arsenal were playing Barcelona in the Champions League like every other month.

Them or Bayern. Honestly those were dark days too even though were were still finishing top 4. It absolutely sucked to get to the R16 every season only to know that you were drawing Barcelona or Bayern. The one really good opportunity we had was stolen from us in 2011, after that it was just beatdown after beatdown (let's not talk about Monaco).

My friend's cousin lived next door to Arsene Wenger and more than once we drove by the house to check if there were a for sale sign in the front! Tier One source!

Because my office in London is in Shoreditch, 10 minutes from Emirates, a lot of my coworkers are Arsenal supporters, regardless of where they actually live, and are very casual supporters. I wanted to talk about team selection season for the Europa league matchup I got tickets to with AC Milan with a "fan" of the club who had a partial season ticket package and he was like, "I don't have any idea who's even in the team these days." There are obviously rabid fans there too, but the casual fan culture seems far more pervasive to me.

Did they mention the red card that Bruno should have gotten against Arsenal on the call?

Back