• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2019/2020 Premier League Thread (NWT)

3e2f55423f90ede5f3c7f75440d43f5c.jpg

Was strange today watching Mourinho managing Spurs, but not as strange as NOT watching Pochettino managing Spurs. 5+ years is a very long time in the modern era for a manager, as bizarre as that sounds. Honestly, something had to change. The relationship between players, manager and the boardroom was clearly tired and worn out. 28 points from the last 25 league games was just abominable and clearly was not going to turn around.

Honestly, if Pochettino was going to stay he had to be willing to shake up the team (something Fergie was a master of - think of all the times he shook up his teams over the years). He didn't seem to want to sell or move on any of "his guys" and obviously Levy wasn't going to spend a bunch with the new stadium being built, etc ... Alderweireld and Eriksen should have gone in this summer, at least. Rose probably a while ago. Some fresh blood in to shake up the team dynamic, and Spurs should have been willing to sell of a few very good but also aging players before the whole thing got too stale.

Going forward with Mourinho is a ballsy move, and the biggest problem is one I'm not sure he'll be able to fix any better than Pochettino could have. What was probably the best back 4 in the league just a few seasons ago is now among the worst. Not just the worst in the Top 6, among the worst in the entire league. Vertonghen is old (turns 33 during the season) and no longer has any pace at all. The fullbacks are a hodgepodge collection of journeyman and prone to mistakes. Alderweireld is fucking awful. He was never super quick, but now he's a statue. His reputation somehow remains, but he's been possibly the worst starting center back in the league this year. Sanchez is still error prone, and trying to run around covering for whatever disaster is happening around him isn't helping. Spurs aren't going to compete for anything with the current state of the defense, and I'm not sure anything other than a complete refresh will change that.

Spurs have so much attacking talent and Mourinho will play Dier and Sissoko a lot and refuse to let the fullbacks attack and patch together something to leak as few goals as possible with what he has that I'm sure Spurs will make to the EL, but I cannot possibly imagine this current team winning a cup or qualifying for the CL again. And then there's going to need to be a serious clean out in the summer.

Was strange today watching Mourinho managing Spurs, but not as strange as NOT watching Pochettino managing Spurs. 5+ years is a very long time in the modern era for a manager, as bizarre as that sounds. Honestly, something had to change. The relationship between players, manager and the boardroom was clearly tired and worn out. 28 points from the last 25 league games was just abominable and clearly was not going to turn around.

Honestly, if Pochettino was going to stay he had to be willing to shake up the team (something Fergie was a master of - think of all the times he shook up his teams over the years). He didn't seem to want to sell or move on any of "his guys" and obviously Levy wasn't going to spend a bunch with the new stadium being built, etc ... Alderweireld and Eriksen should have gone in this summer, at least. Rose probably a while ago. Some fresh blood in to shake up the team dynamic, and Spurs should have been willing to sell of a few very good but also aging players before the whole thing got too stale.

Going forward with Mourinho is a ballsy move, and the biggest problem is one I'm not sure he'll be able to fix any better than Pochettino could have. What was probably the best back 4 in the league just a few seasons ago is now among the worst. Not just the worst in the Top 6, among the worst in the entire league. Vertonghen is old (turns 33 during the season) and no longer has any pace at all. The fullbacks are a hodgepodge collection of journeyman and prone to mistakes. Alderweireld is fucking awful. He was never super quick, but now he's a statue. His reputation somehow remains, but he's been possibly the worst starting center back in the league this year. Sanchez is still error prone, and trying to run around covering for whatever disaster is happening around him isn't helping. Spurs aren't going to compete for anything with the current state of the defense, and I'm not sure anything other than a complete refresh will change that.

Spurs have so much attacking talent and Mourinho will play Dier and Sissoko a lot and refuse to let the fullbacks attack and patch together something to leak as few goals as possible with what he has that I'm sure Spurs will make to the EL, but I cannot possibly imagine this current team winning a cup or qualifying for the CL again. And then there's going to need to be a serious clean out in the summer.

But will Jose be allowed to spend?

But will Jose be allowed to spend?

He'll have to move the expensive old guys doing nothing, but he has no loyalty to the them way Poch did so I don't think that will be a problem. I cannot imagine Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Rose, Eriksen or probably even Lloris being at the club next year.

He'll have to move the expensive old guys doing nothing, but he has no loyalty to the them way Poch did so I don't think that will be a problem. I cannot imagine Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Rose, Eriksen or probably even Lloris being at the club next year.

So explain to me how they will be good then....?

This is a bad experiment. Spurs are done. Midtable relevance

Need a good director of football or sporting director or whatever. Cohesive plan plus a coach that has a system to fit the personnel, plus time, plus money, plus follow through.

So explain to me how they will be good then....?

This is a bad experiment. Spurs are done. Midtable relevance

Those players aren't good anymore, and frankly are why Spurs are so trash right now. Not moving on/out the old spine of the team was/is a huge problem.

Spurs attack is young and good enough that they can stay roughly relevant for a while longer, but that defense is going to require smart reinvestment.

I'm just waiting for the moment when dv7 goes full-BzOut against OGS.

I'm just waiting for the moment when dv7 goes full-BzOut against OGS.
Wont ever happen. OGS is a good person that cares and is trying

Redacted is a shitty person that humiliated his players and didnt try to improve the situation.

Liverpool now have more points than Arsenal and United combined. You almost hate to see it.

Back