• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2021/22 Champions League Thread (NWT)

The Liverpool hate from the usual suspects is cute.

Must suck to be miles away from playing in this game.

Definitely a risk, but I think it can be considered unintentional if you try to kick a ball and someone kicks it off you first. Your intent no longer matters as you're not playing the ball as you intended.

This might be true but that isn’t what happened

Poking around on the interwebs and reading commentary by refs about the rule (not this incident but the rule more broadly). If you lunge to block a shot and it deflects off you that would generally be offside. If you go to touch the ball and shank it to the offensive player that generally would not be offside. There's judgement in the call. Here I don't see how that touch didn't negate the offside bc that was an out and out tackle that was executed and, unfortunately for Liverpool, directed the ball to Benzema.

Poking around on the interwebs and reading commentary by refs about the rule (not this incident but the rule more broadly). If you lunge to block a shot and it deflects off you that would generally be offside. If you go to touch the ball and shank it to the offensive player that generally would not be offside. There's judgement in the call. Here I don't see how that touch didn't negate the offside bc that was an out and out tackle that was executed and, unfortunately for Liverpool, directed the ball to Benzema.
Fabinho wasn't trying to block a player in possession, he was trying to win a free ball

I just don't think that play falls under the block shot/deflection part of the offside law

This might be true but that isn’t what happened

You think Fabinho intentionally tried to tackle the ball by lunging with his right foot but playing it with his left knee? No, of course not. He tried to tackle with his right leg, Valverde got a touch and it hit Fabinho's knee.

Fabinho wasn't trying to block a player in possession, he was trying to win a free ball

I just don't think that play falls under the block shot/deflection part of the offside law

I totally agree with this take but I dont believe the laws of the game see it this way.

You think Fabinho intentionally tried to tackle the ball by lunging with his right foot but playing it with his left knee? No, of course not. He tried to tackle with his right leg, Valverde got a touch and it hit Fabinho's knee.
Did Valverde even get a touch? Or did Konate knock it off Fabinho?

So Benzema was the last Real player to touch the ball

Did Valverde even get a touch? Or did Konate knock it off Fabinho?

So Benzema was the last Real player to touch the ball

I was under the impression Valverde made the touch that played it into Fabinho - if not I agree with you.

So a Klopp side once again doesn't score in a final...the BEST EVAR Premier League side*... will finish with just two domestic cups won on penalties without a goal being scored.

*not even close lol

This was the most “team of destiny” run I’ve ever seen in sports. Happy for Vinicius getting the winner with a cool finish when he’s struggled to finish so many times before. Happy for Modric adding a 5th CL to the resume. And Benz who was second fiddle for so long.

Rough year for Salah. Losing finals of Champions League and AFCON Cup of Nations and missed out on the World Cup.

I’m ready to watch golf. Enough of this Benzema walking around the pitch clapping shit.

Back