• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2021/22 Premier League Thread (NWT)

I was just coming here to post this. Arsenal have had some ridiculous calls/noncalls go against them this season

dawson-creek-crying-gif.gif

I know it's hard when you support a team that gets the benefit of the doubt more often than not, but even you have to agree that VAR not giving Benteke a red card yesterday for hitting Elneny in the head because of "negligible force" is a farce. Find that in your rule book.

Wolves “parting” ways with Nuno seems like a very short sighted decision. He’s the best thing that club has had over the years. If it’s a decision on his part, Godspeed.

nah

they've been really poor the latter half of the last two seasons, really limping across the line

i know this season without jimenez was tough, and that little teenage kid wasn't ready for primetime, plus they lost jota, but they should absolutely have scored more with neto and adama. their style of play was pretty fuckin boring for much of the season too, just hunkering in.

completely disagree, Townie

they lost their talisman (plus Jota last summer) and still finished respectably mid-table.

Adama ain't that good btw - just big as fuck. He's a poor man's Tony Valencia that can't pass or cross the ball.

Adama is pretty much the quintessential YouTube footballer. Looks good in highlights but is rather crap.

he's the best one on one player at taking men on and beating them in the division, and it's not close. he had 50 more successful dribbles than the next player in the league. he's got the third most successful dribbles per 90 in europe.

on a well-coached team, the best dribbler in the league would not play in teh system nuno devised.

i'm not saying he's a bad coach, but it's not an uncommon thing when a coach leads a club out of the lower divisions and fails to improve the side in successive seasons in the top division. the premier league is just really tough.

a -15 goal differential, when the next three clubs ahead of you in the table are +8, +6, +14 sort of flatters you as well

only twice in the last 9 games did they even have a single expected goal, and those two games were home to sheffield, where they managed 1.23 xG and away to west ham where they managed 1.96 in a 3-2 loss.

from open play, their xg differential on the season was -10. that's relegation level.

Im wait and see on this one. I know that it’s a throwback to one of our original kits and colors, but it’s a little too reddish for me.

I'm guessing it's truly salmon - I can't see the powers that be allowing anything close to red on our kit. It's growing on me, honestly (but I just got a 2020-21 Godfrey shirt that's on its way, so no go...plus, don't judge the old guy on the boards for buying one, please)

Adama is a really difficult player to rate. Exceptional dribbling, but his decision making and final ball are both pretty terrible. You'd expect someone that good at beating players 1 v 1 to create more chances for both himself and teammates than he does. Somewhat comparable to Saint Maximin but with half the output. I don't think it's entirely on him - not having Jota or Jimenez made that offense pretty toothless.

His limitations notwithstanding, how many times did you actually see him in behind a defense? He was always stuck defending or isolated by himself and trying to cross the ball to nobody in the box.

With St Max he always has a target guy and Bruce plays direct football

I don’t think Adama is a world class player I just think his skill set is completely wasted at Wolves

His limitations notwithstanding, how many times did you actually see him in behind a defense? He was always stuck defending or isolated by himself and trying to cross the ball to nobody in the box.

With St Max he always has a target guy and Bruce plays direct football

I don’t think Adama is a world class player I just think his skill set is completely wasted at Wolves

Yeah, that's fair. He was definitely more productive last season with some options up top to play to.

Yeah, that's fair. He was definitely more productive last season with some options up top to play to.

Which is kinda my point. They sold Jota thinking they would still have Jimenez to feed in the area. He nearly died and Nuno was left with nothingburgers up top and still finished mid-table with Wolves.

Podence and Neto aren't nothingburgers though

Fabio Silva clearly wasn't ready for the minutes he got, but Nuno was always 10 men behind the ball

Podence and Neto aren't nothingburgers though

Fabio Silva clearly wasn't ready for the minutes he got, but Nuno was always 10 men behind the ball

Eh?

Wolves were...
12th in the PL for touches in the final 3rd
12th in possession (49.1%)
6th in progressive carries
10th in shots taken
11th in shots on target

They were not a side that just sat back

lol so few of those stats address position on the field or game state

you can be a counter attacking team and give your opponents a ton of the ball and still take lots of shots
you can sit deep and pass teh ball back and forth between defenders and get near 50% possession

progressive carries often happen when you have the ball deep in your territory

here are their passmaps

Wolves-passing-networks.png

it's a dour side to watch, given the fun players they have

a 3-5-2 doesn't have to be a formation that sits back, but it almost always was for wolves, who tactically liked to sit in for the first half and try to absorb pressure, and then press harder in the second half and try and get goals from set pieces or on the break late on

nuno was pretty clear himself about this

not a soccer expert by any means but my #hottake on Wolves was they went into every single match hoping to get to extra time 0-0

boring af to watch for me personally

Back