• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2021/22 Premier League Thread (NWT)

Maybe this is common and my memory is failing but this year more than any other I can remember, we have four teams that all look legitimately good enough to win the league and/or the champion's league. Chelsea, City, United and Liverpool are all very good sides.

that didn't format well but you get this idea, just imagine it was a perfectly executed meme

i thought it was a haiku even though it is clearly not

but to your point, a lot of people also put blinders on because it's RoNaLdO and He DiVeS and are suddenly high and mighty about selling contact in the area like most players don't do it or wouldn't do it too

i don't even see how the Coufal foul is up for debate, clearly sticks a leg out, clear contact to the knee before he went down

the other dude who did the slide tackle: much more room for debate here, ronaldo definitely starts going down before contact, but the contact looks inevitable to me cause it's a really poor lunging tackle. we're talking about a split second move being slowed down for replay, maybe he should jump over the foot or maybe he has to run full speed into a bad tackle and not protect his body/not sell it. but i would have no issue with that being a foul either

According to The Times -- at a fortnightly meeting with referees today, they were told by bosses that a penalty for Coufal's challenge on Cristiano Ronaldo would have been a better call on the pitch and that Martin Atkinson should have been asked to review it on the pitch-side monitor for VAR.

SHOCKING. Enjoy your double-down tho just because it happened to be a Man United player that was fouled with an incorrect no-call the decision.

Again, these are "not fouls" in the esteemed view of the totally non-biased people when it comes to Manchester United.

320.jpg

Hated and Adored. But never ignored.

But surely you read your local paper and saw this article?

According to ex-Premier League offical Dermot Gallagher - the Zouma challenge wasn't a penalty!! Says Wan Bissaka should have been called for one!

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-united-penalty-decisions-review-21624667

I wouldn't have been surprised with any of them being called/not called, but I don't believe you should be able to just fall down in order to "avoid a foul". I do like the idea of 7 guys just falling down straight away on every corner kick because clearly the defenders were going to make contact/foul them as they make their runs.

Ronaldo dove, twice. He probably would have been fouled both times, but we'll never know.

Again, these are "not fouls" in the esteemed view of the totally non-biased people when it comes to Manchester United.

320.jpg

Hated and Adored. But never ignored.

I can't believe you think these photographs prove your point.

How did Coufal's knee somehow take out both of ronaldo's ankles!?

And somebody explain to me how that wild AWB sliding challenge was a foul on soucek. I'm still mystified about that one

Ronaldo dove, twice. He probably would have been fouled both times, but we'll never know.

Well said

The ball was gone both times already too, Ronaldo made his mind he was going down and not continuing to play on both occasions before the defender arrived. You can call that “coaxing a player into lunging” (lol) or you can call it what it is, diving.

I can't believe you think these photographs prove your point.

How did Coufal's knee somehow take out both of ronaldo's ankles!?

dv7 posting grainy jpegs of Twitter video screen grabs is basically a meme at this point

everton fall to QPR on penalties in carabao cup, 7th exit in the 3rd rd in the last 12 years

The lineups for today's United/Hammers game are pretty special on both sides. I fully expect West Ham to win this one. Pretty sure we're going to see Ole bring on Phil Jones to secure the loss with a stunning OG in the 92nd minute.

as one of the world's big mark noble haters, he is one of the best penalty takers in league history, by the numbers

Really happy I pay for several streaming platforms so I can watch all the sports I want to watch and somehow this Arsenal game is not available on any of them

Man, Telles is just getting WORKED in this first 10 mins. That first goal has been coming since kickoff.

Noble drags Lingard down by his shirt in the box but no penalty called. Cool cool cool.

Back