• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2021/22 Premier League Thread (NWT)

Firmino offside for the second impacted Mitchell and the penalty was not a clear and obvious miss, very fortunate officiating when Palace were the more dangerous side for most of the second half. Scoreline very flattering to Liverpool.

Firmino offside for the second impacted Mitchell and the penalty was not a clear and obvious miss, very fortunate officiating when Palace were the more dangerous side for most of the second half. Scoreline very flattering to Liverpool.

First point is legit but the ref went to the monitor and gave the penalty. He clearly didn’t see it well the first time because he overruled himself.

Chelsea has stolen West Ham's song. I'd heard that other teams were using it...

Doesn't make any sense though bc West Ham sing it self-deprecatingly

Ziyech's goal is crazy good. Pace and a huge bend...Lloris was helpless.

Can't wait to see this spurs lighter-throwing footage nbc are hyping

First point is legit but the ref went to the monitor and gave the penalty. He clearly didn’t see it well the first time because he overruled himself.

Nice for him to get the benefit of replay, and Jota was taken out but the ball was long gone.

Nice for him to get the benefit of replay, and Jota was taken out but the ball was long gone.

I don't think it should be a penalty because he was very unlikely to get to the ball. I guess my question is, if you take an attacking player down in the box, does it matter under the rules if he no longer has the ball?

Interesting plot twist to Arsenal yellow card gambling incident

"FA sources meanwhile have also suggested that they believe that neither Xhaka or any other member of the Arsenal squad did anything wrong and have reassured the club that is their belief."

Which means that the only subject of the investigation could possibly be the match official, Andre Marriner. And TBH, the biggest talking point from the game was Xhaka NOT being given a yellow card for a late challenge and a Leeds player being booked just minutes later for an identical challenge. Only for Xhaka to then be given a yellow for "time wasting" late in the 2nd half of a game that Arsenal already led 4-1.

For context, during the second half there were suspicious bets placed on Xhaka receiving a yellow card after the 80th minute, the time wasting yellow card was given in the 86th minute.

And Martial exits stage left.

SMH at United.

He wanted to leave, has fallen down the pecking order, and his form has been dreadful for over a year now. Club right to sanction the loan move to hopefully jump start his career again (and increase a possible transfer fee in the summer).

Why do you think this was a bad move by United?

Interesting plot twist to Arsenal yellow card gambling incident

"FA sources meanwhile have also suggested that they believe that neither Xhaka or any other member of the Arsenal squad did anything wrong and have reassured the club that is their belief."

Which means that the only subject of the investigation could possibly be the match official, Andre Marriner. And TBH, the biggest talking point from the game was Xhaka NOT being given a yellow card for a late challenge and a Leeds player being booked just minutes later for an identical challenge. Only for Xhaka to then be given a yellow for "time wasting" late in the 2nd half of a game that Arsenal already led 4-1.

For context, during the second half there were suspicious bets placed on Xhaka receiving a yellow card after the 80th minute, the time wasting yellow card was given in the 86th minute.

here is the time wasting one... It took him like 15 seconds just to stand about 4 yards behind the ball, and he is stationary behind the ball for like 5 seconds.... not sure what he was thinking.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1483844058296553474

Marriner was lenient to not go to his pocket earlier. Who time wastes up 3 with 5 mins to play?

Other than Leicester, who should really start doing that now that I think about it.

Marriner was lenient to not go to his pocket earlier. Who time wastes up 3 with 5 mins to play?

Other than Leicester, who should really start doing that now that I think about it.

Well that's what I'm getting at. The Xhaka challenge earlier in the half was a clear yellow, especially with the Leeds player being given a yellow for essentially the same challenge. Then to give a yellow for time wasting on a FK even if Xhaka took a bit longer than normal to get back under way is where it gets sticky. I don't think this will actually amount to anything but after pretty consistent questions surrounding PGMOL about referee competency and application of VAR all season, not a great look to have one of your "best" referees potentially under a gambling investigation.

A booking earlier in the match wouldn't have prevented Marriner from booking Xhaka after the 80th minute, tho, right?

Or does that prop bet not appear (or goes away) of Xhaka is booked *before* the 80th minute? I don't know enough about prop bets to have any idea what the protocols are for them

Van de Beek now apparently further along in discussions with Palace about a loan move until the end of the season. I hope he gets that one as he is clearly miserable on the bench at United. And with Pogba nearing fitness again he'd be even lower down the order for selection.

Let him go and play if Palace want to pay his salary.

A booking earlier in the match wouldn't have prevented Marriner from booking Xhaka after the 80th minute, tho, right?

Or does that prop bet not appear (or goes away) of Xhaka is booked *before* the 80th minute? I don't know enough about prop bets to have any idea what the protocols are for them

I believe the bet loses if he’s not booked in the 80th or later, irrespective of whether he was booked earlier. Obviously it becomes harder to justify booking him for what he was booked for if he’s already on a yellow.

I’m not saying Marriner is guilty or anything, or that something untoward at all was going on. Just pointing out that it’s interesting that the reports from the FA seem to indicate he is the subject of the investigation and that it makes way more sense than Xhaka being investigated.

I believe the bet loses if he’s not booked in the 80th or later, irrespective of whether he was booked earlier. Obviously it becomes harder to justify booking him for what he was booked for if he’s already on a yellow.

I’m not saying Marriner is guilty or anything, or that something untoward at all was going on. Just pointing out that it’s interesting that the reports from the FA seem to indicate he is the subject of the investigation and that it makes way more sense than Xhaka being investigated.
Why does it make more sense that Marriner is being investigated instead of Xhaka?

Why does it make more sense that Marriner is being investigated instead of Xhaka?

Because if Xhaka knew he had to try to get a card in a specific time frame late in the game, it wouldn’t make sense for him to do his normal Xhaka stuff and get booked too early. It would be really hard to control that, especially with his reputation clouding most referees’ judgement.

Makes more sense that the person who is in control of when a card is given and for what would be potentially being investigated for a bet regarding a card in a very specific time frame for a specific player. Again, not saying it actually happened or that it’s even likely that Marriner would be involved in that, just generally that the specific prop bet being investigated would make more sense being a referee involved than the player, IMO.

Back