• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2021/22 Premier League Thread (NWT)

Upon replay it should have been a pen

The odd thing to me was how much game time passed before VAR got involved

Anyway if I were a title aspiring team I would simply score a single goal against the top 6

Last edited:
dirty, to me, is players that put in tackles with bad intentions like they hope the tackle leaves the other player injured

getting into shoving piss contests is not the same thing, IMO
Have had this conversation far too many times with wakephan09 about Mark Noble to want to get into it again lol
I think I'm pretty consistent, even if we disagree on what qualifies as a "dirty" act or a "dirty" player.

I haven't seen the incident that prompted this, but I'm pretty much in agreement with DV7 here (will be no surprise to you, townie, bc we've talked about this a lot and about many more players than Noble). To me a "dirty" player is one that knowingly tries to injure another or to get away with some surreptitious shit outside the view of the official (e.g. stomping or punching). I like players that are willing to put in a crunching tackle and get in opponents' faces.

I do distinguish these activities from what I call "petulance" which is like kicking the ball away or being a whiny dick

I think I'm pretty consistent, even if we disagree on what qualifies as a "dirty" act or a "dirty" player.

I haven't seen the incident that prompted this, but I'm pretty much in agreement with DV7 here (will be no surprise to you, townie, bc we've talked about this a lot and about many more players than Noble). To me a "dirty" player is one that knowingly tries to injure another ... I like players that are willing to put in a crunching tackle and get in opponents' faces.

I do distinguish these activities from what I call "petulance" which is like kicking the ball away or being a whiny dick

don't really get the difference here

don't really get the difference here

You've played the game before

You should know the difference between a hard, fair challenge on the ball that sends the opposition player flying and a challenge that has studs up near a player's knee or a two-footed lunging tackle.

This is dirty:

This is a hard, fair challenge: (mute if you don't want to hear the Titanic song)

There's also a clumsy vs dirty distinction I have a hard time with

Merseyside humanitarian of the year and recently damn good footballer Tom Davies not even making the bench for tonight's match is concerning. James is also apparently out again. Thank god Allan is back. He and Doucoure will have to run double to cover for Gomes and Siggy.

I missed this replay during the match but that defs looks like a kickout that he pulls back and then re-feigns injury. This was on the tackle that earned Fred a booking.

I missed this replay during the match but that defs looks like a kickout that he pulls back and then re-feigns injury. This was on the tackle that earned Fred a booking.

Meh - I'd be more likely to suspend Fred for that tackle.

So i'm assuming all the Everton people here think that should have been a PK for Soton? Same premise as the TAA foul last weekend.

If Fred falls down there and rolls around it's a definite red for Mount.

So i'm assuming all the Everton people here think that should have been a PK for Soton? Same premise as the TAA foul last weekend.

post a link? i missed it. think they covered it at half, where it looked maybe out of the box if a foul at all, but i'm not sure it was the same challenge you're talking about.

post a link? i missed it. think they covered it at half, where it looked maybe out of the box if a foul at all, but i'm not sure it was the same challenge you're talking about.

Just did a quick Twitter search and couldn't find a video. Defender and attacker were kind of wrestling for the ball. Defender fell over and was on the ground in the way of the attacker. Attacker went to get the ball and tripped over the defender (who didn't know anything about it anymore). I thought it was very similar to the Trent one with maybe the biggest distinction is TAA was on the ground because he slid in and the Everton defender was on the ground after putting his arms all over the Southampton attacker.

Hell no. Completely different situations. TAA was lunging and sliding, missed the ball, and then he lifted his foot to make sure DCL went down after initial contact,

Godfrey was leaned into by Adams on an aerial ball. Godfrey lost his feet, fell over and the Adams, who was leaning on him, fell over too into Godfrey. Neither player committed a foul.

Bro those could not have been different situations. There’s a reason you cannot find it online, it was a nothing burger.

I found plenty of tweets saying it should be a penalty, just not a video since not enough people give a shit.

I think it was a pen and worse than the TAA one

That Phil Jones clumsily falling down "unintentional" bullshit doesn't fool me, Godfrey

That said, this was funny

There's also a clumsy vs dirty distinction I have a hard time with
That one seems easy to me just based on the familiar meaning of these words:

Clumsy is done without skill or elegance

Dirty is dishonest, dishonorable

That one seems easy to me just based on the familiar meaning of these words:

Clumsy is done without skill or elegance

Dirty is dishonest, dishonorable

Probably more relevant for lower tier (HS and the like) but if you’re clumsy enough that you are out there hurting people, even unintentionally, you deserve to be sent off as much as a dirty player.

Back