• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2021 European Championship Thread (NWT)

Jesus Christ, Townie.

Saka had a good 1st half, I said so.

Stop pretending he had a good match. He was crap in the 2nd 45. As was every other English player until about the 80 min mark. Then they were crap with intent.

I simply jostled you for saying any English players were 'lively'.

They were a side that didn't put in a SINGLE SHOT ON GOAL after the 26th minute. Calling any of their players 'lively' was funny to me.

I am argumentative, this I admit.

I do wonder if you would have defended Saka so much if I didn't shim him prematch tho? Perhaps you like an argument too? Dont throw stones, we all know each other.

If he’s healthy (which he seems to be) I think England would be better with Henderson. Midfield is just so jumbled, need someone who at least directs play.

Henderson is a crab. He brings nothing to this English side. Although as Tim points out he is a greater pointer. Loves to point at other players and tell them where to run and pass.

God, they are shite.

He was the best player on the field, but the bar was low. This English side plays dour football.

My question is what does Southgate do to adapt against a better side? He clearly won’t play his most explosive side. He hasn’t had enough time to practice this defensive football and completely switch to high pressure, high skill football.

Anything less than a Euros Final should be a failure for this side. I don’t think the players would disagree.

I agree. I think they need to put more playmakers in the midfield; sitting in and going for 1-0s won't fly out of the group stage.

They can't continue with the double pivot imo. The passing just dies in the center of the park. But the move to 4-1-4-1 in the second half sat Phillips deeper, and the block moved even lower back. With the medium block and sitting in a 4-4-2 defensively England rarely regained possession in a promising position.

2021-06-22-Passmap-England-Czech-Republic-0-1-England.png

I have to imagine the way forward for this England team is through Sancho, Bellingham, Saka, and Grealish pressing higher and progressing the ball.

I agree. I think they need to put more playmakers in the midfield; sitting in and going for 1-0s won't fly out of the group stage.

Problem England has is that their midfielders are rather crap at making things happen offensively.

Rice? Limited going forward.
Phillips? Limited going forward.
Henderson? Boring player.
Bellingham? Young and dynamic but not ready to take over a match yet, I don't think.

Those 4 center midfielders combined for just 7 league assists in a combined 8,724 minutes of league action this past season. 1 assist every 1,246 minutes. Or, put another way, it took them a combined nearly 14 full 90 minutes matches to get 1 assist on average.

There is a serious dearth of talent in the center of the park for England right now.

yes, wakephan09 has been banging on about this for the last decade plus.

I do think James Ward-Prowse should have been in the team. He and Mount make plays, can press the ball high, and can strike a dead ball.

JWP should have 100% been in the team. Such an underrated player.

ETA: 7 assists in 3,480 minutes of league action. 1 every 488 mins or one every 5 and a half matches.

Plus, as you said, the best dead ball delivery that England have at their disposal.

Last edited:
You take out one of Phillips or Rice and put Mount in that gaping hole on the chart above. Also need one of Sterling, Grealish and Saka (or Sancho, Bellingham, whoever) to play centrally underneath Kane. Grealish is better outside, but I think he's your best solution.

The gaping hole was also pressed well by Soucek yesterday, but it's only going to be pressed higher and higher up the further the tournament goes on, so you need someone who can drop deeper/hold up play in attack as well. Not suggesting DCL should start, but Kane really seemed to struggle as the match went on yesterday, and I think if England find themselves grinding out 0-0 late, he'd be worth bringing on.

Great save from Dubravka. Really don't like that penalty, though I see why he gave it.

Must suck to be Busquets. You used to come to these tournaments with Iker, Puyol, Pique, Sergio Ramos, Xabi Xlonso, Xavi, Iniesta, David Silva, David Villa... And now you look around and see who you're playing with.

Back