• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2021 European Championship Thread (NWT)

E4l_hN3WUAM1xWv

What a time for Dalot to make his debut for Portugal. No pressure, lad.

Boooooo Goretzka

Although it would be so German for Germany to squeak into the knockout rounds and then win the tournament. Typical Germans.

England v Germany and Portugal v Belgium should both be fun matches. France should bust up Switzerland.

England v Germany and Portugal v Belgium should both be fun matches. France should bust up Switzerland.

Yeah, but the top half of the bracket is so much better than the bottom half. Italy, Belgium and France are the 3 best teams, and only 1 can get to the final.

Close but probably not quite as stark as the last Euros when France, England, Germany, Italy and Spain were all on the same side (and of course Portugal wound up winning from the other side).

Third straight major tourney involving the Euro teams where there's been a decided split between the two halves of the bracket, same was true at the World Cup as well

Thanks for remembering. Can't believe it's been a decade since euro 2012, though perhaps 2014 witnessed the height of my ranting. At least scott Parker made the 2012 roster.

they should have dumped all the ancient and shit midfielders from the golden generation and brought in a bunch of unknowns from the championship. They would have done a job.

Henderson is the worst and most overrated midfielder of several generations. Trash player

Sure, Henderson has captained Liverpool to Champions League and Premier League titles and been a regular England international under multiple different managers, but he's no Mark Noble or Scott Parker!

Henderson was like the 9th or 10th most important player involved in those Liverpool sides

Gini and Keita far superior players

I wasn’t going to wade into the waters of Hendo, but here we are.

Hendo is perfect for a Klopp team. All the haters on the thread are obviously going to have their takes, but we would never be where we are without him. He’s the perfect fit and captain.

But, Southgate ain’t playing what Liverpool plays. And I don’t love what he’s doing, but he has a strategy. I don’t think adding Hendo advances his game plan. Hendo had to be deep for Liverpool while Robbo and Trent press. He has to make the long unlocking passes and the across the back passes until he can find that ball. The English back line doesn’t press like that. And surprisingly or not, they’re playing the direct ball pretty damn well. Shaw, Stones, and even Maguire and making some very passes that bypass the mids and find the space. They’ve been let down a bit by Kane and Sterling, but the balls are there. If you think back, they’ve had some chances that they should easily have finished. But then they also go back to having a midfield that isn’t dynamic. And Hendo, coming off an injury at 31, isn’t that guy.

I’d have thought Foden could have played there. JWP (!!) and Grealish probably good there as well. They have pressing talent that I think the back line and Phillips can provide the cover, but it remains to be seen if they’re ever pressed to play that way.

I’m on my phone so I’m not sure that came out succinctly, but whatever.

I wasn’t going to wade into the waters of Hendo, but here we are.

Hendo is perfect for a Klopp team. All the haters on the thread are obviously going to have their takes, but we would never be where we are without him. He’s the perfect fit and captain.

But, Southgate ain’t playing what Liverpool plays. And I don’t love what he’s doing, but he has a strategy. I don’t think adding Hendo advances his game plan. Hendo had to be deep for Liverpool while Robbo and Trent press. He has to make the long unlocking passes and the across the back passes until he can find that ball. The English back line doesn’t press like that. And surprisingly or not, they’re playing the direct ball pretty damn well. Shaw, Stones, and even Maguire are making some very brilliant passes that bypass the mids and find the space. They’ve been let down a bit by Kane and Sterling, but the balls are there. If you think back, they’ve had some chances that they should easily have finished. But then they also go back to having a midfield that isn’t dynamic. And Hendo, coming off an injury at 31, isn’t that guy.

I’d have thought Foden could have played there. JWP (!!) and Grealish probably good there as well. They have pressing talent that I think with the back line and Phillips can provide the cover, but it remains to be seen if they’re ever pressed to play that way.

I’m on my phone so I’m not sure that came out succinctly, but whatever.

UEFA does away with away goals as the tiebreaker and replaces with extra time/pens at the end of the second leg. I think this s a good development. I've always hated using away goals.

UEFA does away with away goals as the tiebreaker and replaces with extra time/pens at the end of the second leg. I think this s a good development. I've always hated using away goals.
Hated away goals used in ET but didn't mind them for the end of 2 90s

Back