• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2021 European Championship Thread (NWT)

England had just ONE shot on target the whole match after the goal. And that came from a set piece, so they had zero shots on target from open play after the goal in the 2nd minute. 118 minutes of football played with creating no open play shots on target.

Just such dire and negative tactics did them in. When players had the ball in good positions they would look up and see Kane in the box, maybe Sterling or Mount, and then nobody else. You cannot score that way or even keep the opposition pinned in when players aren't committed to attacking their defensive 18.

So you'll get no argument from me that England got what they deserved yesterday.

2.13-0.57 xG according to FotMob

Another reminder of how dire England were and how magical Pickford is

Kane, Sterling, and Mount accumulated an impressive 0.0 xG in yesterday's final.

Wait Sterling was still on? Why didn’t he take one over two players with zero playing time and a converted LB with no technical ability?

If you think Saka is just a converted LB with no technical ability, you haven't been following English soccer.

If you think Saka is just a converted LB with no technical ability, you haven't been following English soccer.

I think the bigger issue with Saka is having a 19 year old take the 5th kick. The interesting issue to me that Brasky raised is why 1 of your 2 leading scorers in the tournament who plays up front didn't take 1 of the kicks over 2 guys who hadn't played till the 120th minute and a 19 year old.

England played excellent defense. That's what got them to the finals, and they continued their defensive excellence there. They could only play that great defense at the cost of reigning in their attack. They have a lot of outstanding players, and many are relatively still young. Now, they just need to find balance between their defense and their attack.

England played excellent defense. That's what got them to the finals, and they continued their defensive excellence there. They could only play that great defense at the cost of reigning in their attack. They have a lot of outstanding players, and many are relatively still young. Now, they just need to find balance between their defense and their attack.

England almost always has had a lot of excellent players, with the exception of the occasional goalie. But that collection of talent never gelled in international events to really go anywhere until this team and their last WC squad. I like their chances over the next 2 WCs and Euro. Of the other teams who impressed, both Italy and Spain surprised me with how well they played and will be good for a while, and Belgium has 1 more run in them for next year. Portugal, Germany and Croatia aren't looking good for Qatar next November.

England almost always has had a lot of excellent players, with the exception of the occasional goalie. But that collection of talent never gelled in international events to really go anywhere until this team and their last WC squad. I like their chances over the next 2 WCs and Euro. Of the other teams who impressed, both Italy and Spain surprised me with how well they played and will be good for a while, and Belgium has 1 more run in them for next year. Portugal, Germany and Croatia aren't looking good for Qatar next November.

18 months is a long time for Italy’s CBs and Belgium’s back line to keep their form and not lose another step to age. Chiellini will be 38 next Nov.

But I generally agree. Italy is top until someone beats them, France will definitely be back in the mix, Spain looks ahead of schedule. Would love to see Argentina carry their Copa momentum and make a run.

reining

Playing 7 or 8 defensive minded players every match will certainly rein in your attack

He scored 5 goals and had 3 assists in 32 matches last season and hasn't taken penalties for Arsenal. That's fine for a defensive winger, but a player that should be about 12th in your PK hierarchy.

I don't blame the kid, I blame Southgate for putting him in a shitty position.

0.42 goal creating actions per 90, only behind Foden and Smith-Rowe for u-21s

3.45 shot creating actions per 90, only behind Neto and Foden

Combined, second best GCA+SCA per 90 in the league

Not saying he should take penalties, but he’s a top 3 or so u21 in the league

0.42 goal creating actions per 90, only behind Foden and Smith-Rowe for u-21s

3.45 shot creating actions per 90, only behind Neto and Foden

Combined, second best GCA+SCA per 90 in the league

Not saying he should take penalties, but he’s a top 3 or so u21 in the league

Ok, but a penalty is already created for him.

Need those chance conversion numbers my guy.

Playing 7 or 8 defensive minded players every match will certainly rein in your attack

If we draw England in next November's World Cup, then long may Southgate's management of their national team reign.

The Economist ruffled feathers of social media users and soccer fans alike on Wednesday after calling the Italian soccer team's apparent lack of diversity the most "striking" feature of the squad.

Italy defeated England in the Euro 2020 final on Sunday in penalty kicks to take home the championship trophy. The close match captivated fans, yet The Economist appeared to be more concerned that there were not more players of color on the pitch.

"The most striking aspect of Italy’s 26-man squad before it took to the pitch was that, alone among the main contenders, it did not include a single player considered as being of colour," The Economist tweeted.

"THE EURO 2020 final between Italy and England was striking, not just for the clash of footballing styles in the match itself, but for the socio-political undercurrents that swirled between the two sides and touched on issues that included nationalism, internationalism and racial sensitivity," the Economist wrote in the accompanying piece.

The outlet went on to note the squad received criticism for their "ambivalent" approach to taking a knee as a gesture of opposition to racism and that the sporting event "favored" the country's right wing.

Critics were confused by the outlet's narrative and mocked the premise of the tweet.

"BREAKING: Italian team was comprised entirely of Italians. More at 11," The Daily Caller mocked.

Based on the Economist's narrative, others wondered whether the outlet would publish similar analysis of African soccer teams.

The Economist also referenced the racist attacks on British footballer Marcus Rashford after he missed his penalty kick to argue that "European football’s big night was not a great one for multiculturalism."

Some soccer fans wished the media would simply let them enjoy the game without getting political.

The media has taken heat in recent years for fixating on race, particularly in sports, which critics have noted is supposed to be one of the few apolitical pastimes.

Back