• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2022/23 Premier League Thread

The decades we had to endure Fergie time, how soon these Reds forget when they’re on the receiving end of it

I noticed it too.

They've become what they purported to hate. But, in reality and actuality, it was just what they wanted to try and become. Except they still haven't become Fergie's United. Nowhere even fucking close, I'm afraid.

Sure, "living in the past" or whatever. United are mediocre to decent today. I own that fact and I'm still here laughing at Liverpool because with the best fucking team they've had in decades they can't even do better than Chelsea in the mid-2000s or Arsenal in the late 90s and early 2000s. Nevermind what Ferguson did with United from the early 1990s to mid 2010s.

This is the best Liverpool side in 3 decades and what exactly do they have to show for it? One Premier League and a Champions League 3 seasons ago? Is that it?
Oh, sorry, a FA Cup and League Cup won with 0 goals scored and on penalties last season. Fantastic! A side that will be talked about in 10 or 15 years time, for sure.

Quite the run. Fergie-esque.... maybe not. As good as Shankley, Paisley, or Dalglish sides tho!? Well, maybe not to that as well. Sad.

At least it has been better than Blackburn in 1995 or Leicester in 2016.

Nope. Probably won't watch the replay or highlights either.

Stop fucking complaining every single Arsenal match. It's pathetic.

The funniest thing about this is you picked a post of mine that literally is not a complaint, it’s a statement of fact about how Villa came out in the first 20 minutes. You could have picked a post a few down where I was actually (justifiably) annoyed at and semi-complaining about inconsistent officiating. And I’ve barely said anything at all this season in any negative sense, let alone active complaining every match. You’re a weird duck, dv7.

Sorry, I’m not following. Everton was time wasting and you wanted to see what from it? Just so we’re clear on what makes out “justice”. Leeds had about 70 min of possession to do something with.

I'm no sure why this is difficult. I detest time wasting (faking injuries, kicking the ball away, not putting it back in play, etc.) whether I'm watching a team I support or whether I'm watching a game where I have no rooting interest. I think it's bad for the game and should be more aggressively addressed by refs. Again, I don't see why this is controversial.

I noticed it too.

They've become what they purported to hate. But, in reality and actuality, it was just what they wanted to try and become. Except they still haven't become Fergie's United. Nowhere even fucking close, I'm afraid.

Sure, "living in the past" or whatever. United are mediocre to decent today. I own that fact and I'm still here laughing at Liverpool because with the best fucking team they've had in decades they can't even do better than Chelsea in the mid-2000s or Arsenal in the late 90s and early 2000s. Nevermind what Ferguson did with United from the early 1990s to mid 2010s.

This is the best Liverpool side in 3 decades and what exactly do they have to show for it? One Premier League and a Champions League 3 seasons ago? Is that it?
Oh, sorry, a FA Cup and League Cup won with 0 goals scored and on penalties last season. Fantastic! A side that will be talked about in 10 or 15 years time, for sure.

Quite the run. Fergie-esque.... maybe not. As good as Shankley, Paisley, or Dalglish sides tho!? Well, maybe not to that as well. Sad.

At least it has been better than Blackburn in 1995 or Leicester in 2016.

This really wasn't a proper Wake board premier league scrap until DV7 joined the fight. It just feels right now.

I'm no sure why this is difficult. I detest time wasting (faking injuries, kicking the ball away, not putting it back in play, etc.) whether I'm watching a team I support or whether I'm watching a game where I have no rooting interest. I think it's bad for the game and should be more aggressively addressed by refs. Again, I don't see why this is controversial.

I’d be totally ok with officials properly policing the amount of time the football is in play and adding on wasted time at the end. I just think it’s ridiculous how unevenly it gets applied.

I thought Newcastle was thoroughly bossing the game for the first half yesterday, especially in the midfield where Joelinton was owning Henderson and Fabinho. To go into game control mode protecting a lead away from home against a team that’s better than you isn’t some affront to football. Howe isn’t really the same type manager as Thomas Frank or Thomas Tuchel who actively try not to have the ball in play given a secure game state. Marriner is well within his rights to extend the match if he doesn’t think five added was enough or if more was required for stoppage during added time. But much like Leeds who had nearly all the possession against Everton and barely created a good chance, Liverpool had loads of opportunities to grab a winner, and some credit is due Newcastle for keeping Liverpool to one goal for 97+ minutes.

The idea that Liverpool deserve JUSTICE from officials is just funny, is all.

Quit complaining, Townie. It's pathetic.

I like it when, once every 13 games or so, a bad call goes against Manchester United, and dv7 will post the video and say “United get all the calls! :eyeroll:

I’d be totally ok with officials properly policing the amount of time the football is in play and adding on wasted time at the end. I just think it’s ridiculous how unevenly it gets applied.

I thought Newcastle was thoroughly bossing the game for the first half yesterday, especially in the midfield where Joelinton was owning Henderson and Fabinho. To go into game control mode protecting a lead away from home against a team that’s better than you isn’t some affront to football. Howe isn’t really the same type manager as Thomas Frank or Thomas Tuchel who actively try not to have the ball in play given a secure game state. Marriner is well within his rights to extend the match if he doesn’t think five added was enough or if more was required for stoppage during added time. But much like Leeds who had nearly all the possession against Everton and barely created a good chance, Liverpool had loads of opportunities to grab a winner, and some credit is due Newcastle for keeping Liverpool to one goal for 97+ minutes.

The idea that Liverpool deserve JUSTICE from officials is just funny, is all.

I fully agree that how this stuff is handled by refs is uneven. And I have no issue with the idea that Newcastle's approach when the ball was in play was pragmatic and mostly successful. My only complaint was with the time wasting crap to keep the ball from being in play which I view as bad for the game. Seeing Newcastle get punished at the death because of added time due entirely because of time wasting was cathartic.

I like it when, once every 13 games or so, a bad call goes against Manchester United, and dv7 will post the video and say “United get all the calls! :eyeroll:

do you mean the cropped and enlarged cell phone picture of a blurry tv screen

I heard some podcast talking about how the goal is to have a total of 60 mins of actual game time and that 15 mins a half if built in to allow for that. So if they switched to 30 min halves and stopped the clock every time play stopped then you should end up with roughly the same amount of play.

I see two distinctly different issues with time wasting. One is to actually reduce the amount of playing time to try and keep a lead or reduce a better side's chances of winning. The second is to just get a breather, break up tempo and frustrate the opposing team. I think most solutions look to fix the first, but it wouldn't necessarily help with the second issue. I think that requires increased use of yellow cards. MLS has done well to keep players from kicking the ball away or interfering with restarts this season and it's caused an obvious improvement in that area. But how do you keep players from falling down and fixing a "cramp" every 3 minutes at the tail end of a match. I think you could keep a non-fouled injury off the field for 3 minutes to solve that.

Last edited:
I heard some podcast talking about how the goal is to have a total of 60 mins of actual game time and that 15 mins a half if built in to allow for that. So if they switched to 30 min halves and stopped the clock every time play stopped then you should end up with roughly the same amount of play.

I think they’re only about 5 min off that goal at this point, think ball in play last season averaged 55 min

Personally I enjoy watching a team creatively time waste in soccer far more than I like watching and endless stream of free throws or a QB taking a knee. Adds drama and intrigue.

Personally I enjoy watching a team creatively time waste in soccer far more than I like watching and endless stream of free throws or a QB taking a knee. Adds drama and intrigue.

Well, you are an Everton fan so it makes sense that you're there for the soap opera drama rather than to watch good football.

Back