• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2022/23 Premier League Thread

how much of these color graphs you post are influence by what a manager is asking a player to do? any or is it just raw data with zero context?
raw-likeitraw.gif

That chart does a disservice to White because he is compared exclusively to fullbacks but doesn’t play like almost any other fullback in the Big 5 leagues. He was a crucial part of our season and plays a very specific role in Arteta’s system quite well. Even if you don’t rate him, calling him mediocre is asinine

And I don’t disagree with Townie that at the time, £50M was an overpay, but for English players nowadays, that’s almost a bargain with what this summer is likely to bring.

My overarching point though (because I’m not about to get dragged down into a 2 page argument with dv7 about Ben White) is that when Arteta has recommended and then pushed through a transfer because he liked a player a lot, it’s been good business recently. So I’m willing to see if this Havertz thing has legs and not judge it immediately.

I think Havertz is very good, almost certainly underrated and underutilized for his skills but not elite and not a good fit for what Arsenal needs
I agree with all of this. I think we need more goals in the positions he would play and he is a connector more than he is a goal scorer.

He is taller than 5’7 which is nice though.

reports coming out now that Arsenal are dropping out of the race to sign Caicedo and it is between Man United and Chelsea

Think he’s gonna command close to 9 figures. Better and younger than Rice, will be worth whoever gets him.

reports coming out that EtH is "okay" with pulling out of any deal for Harry Kane as Levy isn't willing to play ball and sell his captain, instead thinking he can get him to agree to a contract extension, I guess

honestly, that's ok with me. Kane is good but this isn't United in 2012 when signing a 30 year old proven striker is all the club needed to win the League.
I find it hard to believe that Kane is going to sign a new deal with Spurs. Sounds more to me like this is just posturing by Levy. With only a year to go on Kane's deal, Levy would be nuts not to sell him this summer.

Same for Chelsea and Mount, which is why I'm little mystified by Chelsea's insistence that they're going to get some ridiculous number for him. If United are the only club bidding for him, they shouldn't have to overpay for him.

I think timing may have something to do with Kane transfer or not. Surely Spurs will want to be sure he has had a chance to sit down with Postecoglou before agreeing to any transfer. From a marketing perspective I'm sure they'd love to keep Kane around, have him break the PL goal record at the club, etc. Considering they finally got the manager signed last week or so, i'm not surprised with Levy not willing to play ball at this point.

the Kane thing feels like Berbatov 2.0 from the Spurs perspective. I think United briefed the press that they were pulling out as part of their own negotiating strategy. I'd still prefer to pay whatever ridiculous fee Napoli want for Osimhen tho

Dream summer is Osim, Kim, Frenkie (lol not gonna happen), Diogo Costa, and let's go grab Hojlund before his value sky rockets in the next year or two. Sell Bailly :sadface:, Donnie, Henderson, Maguire, Martial, and one of McFred. That'd be a productive summer. Won't happen but let me dream.

Last edited:
last week it was Ratcliffe and Ineos that had the advantage in negations to buy Manchester United
this week it seems it is the Sheik and the totally not a Qatari state bid that have the advantages in negotiations after they bumped up their final bid to their 'for cereal this time its our last bid' bid.

reports coming out now that Arsenal are dropping out of the race to sign Caicedo and it is between Man United and Chelsea
I haven't seen any reports from the Arsenal journos that we are dropping out of the race, just that we've prioritized getting Rice over the line ASAP (basically what Fab is saying there). Rice + Caicedo was always going to be a challenge and it's unlikely that we are going to match the personal terms that Chelsea are likely going to put on the table, was always going to need Caicedo to actually mean it when he said he preferred UCL. I love Caicedo and would be over the moon if we got Rice and Caicedo both, but I'm not going to be depressed if he goes elsewhere. Just wish it was to Spain.

Adding to the Chelsea/Caicedo links, Brighton looks like they are going to try to get Conor Gallagher going the other way. Makes it much cheaper for Chelsea + increases the chances that Caicedo will actually have a locker within the dressing room and not have to change in the hallway.

not to sound pedantic, but with the release of the schedule for next year, should we not change the title to the 2023-24 PL season? As a burnley fan, I've been waiting for the list to be released since they were promoted.

not to sound pedantic, but with the release of the schedule for next year, should we not change the title to the 2023-24 PL season? As a burnley fan, I've been waiting for the list to be released since they were promoted.
Good point. Yesterday was the official start of the new League year i believe

man just crazy odds that Burnley and Kompany's first side to face will be Manchester City. So weird how the randomized schedule plucked that out of the hat!

Back