• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2022/23 Premier League Thread

The penalty decision that went in Real Socieadad's favor yesterday is one of the worst I've ever seen. No clue how that wasn't overturned via VAR. The ball clearly strikes Martinez's knee before hitting his tucked in elbow on the richochet. The level of refereeing is some of the worst I've ever seen at this point.

Totally wasn't a pen, but karma's a bitch ManU. Only need about a million awful calls to go against you for balance to be restored.

it is so funny that people love to remember dodgy decisions that went for United but seem to forget about all the terrible ones that went against United within a day or two. I'm sure that awful penalty decision will be no different in a week's time.

Ok but fuck that guy for using a line plot when each observation is independent/not a series.

That is the graph I saw. Neither Y axis labeled. So this seems worthy of our time....

But y'all keep on trying to prove something you really really really really really really really believe in even if the real world evidence doesn't support it!

But I think the best part of this is the Northwest England tinfoil hat aspect. Townie's club is from what part of England again? Same for Burnley.
Guess the refs don't care about them but they are sure to favor Liverpool, Man United, and Man City due to where they grew up because club tribal allegiances don't exist in the northwest of England.
The more I think about this the more comical it becomes. Why did you quote that nonsense here, Townie? Didn't think it through or something? No shame there, I've certainly done it!

It’s a fairly straightforward argument, easy to follow. Manchester United awarded the most penalties last five seasons in spite of taking the fewest touches in opponent penalty areas. One would suspect that taking more touches in opposition boxes would lead to more penalties, but Man United seem to not need it.

And all the Opta tweet suggests is they were also awarded more fouls. If you parse that, which doesn’t show comparative data, it means they were likely given penalties they didn’t deserve in some cases, and not given penalties one would expect in others to make up those numbers.

Welp, gonna see my first United game. Buddy and I just booked a trip to Donostia to see the the reverse fixture vs Real Sociadad. Hopefully it’s not as turrible as the first one. But the trip ain’t about the game but about the trip, so I don’t really care. And we’ve been there together before for his wedding, so it’ll be all about food and booze and shenanigans and not tourism. I’m pumped.

Welp, gonna see my first United game. Buddy and I just booked a trip to Donostia to see the the reverse fixture vs Real Sociadad. Hopefully it’s not as turrible as the first one. But the trip ain’t about the game but about the trip, so I don’t really care. And we’ve been there together before for his wedding, so it’ll be all about food and booze and shenanigans and not tourism. I’m pumped.
oh, enjoy it! I'm sure you will.

We will for sure. And it'll be only my second professional football match and my first United match. The only other was I saw AC Milan take on Venezia at the San Siro in 1999.

Seeing Real Sociedad in San Sebastian sounds sublime. I know nothing about the club or their matchday experience, but come on--it's San Sebastian.

Back