• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2022/23 Premier League Thread

Clarification on Schamdtke maybe?

"Providing an update on the situation, BILD have stated Schmadtke has held conversations to discuss the post of 'external consultant for transfers'."

That could just be a weird translation. Like maybe German for Sporting Director is externerberaterfürÜberweisungen. Who knows.

Some quick math tells me Liverpool paid approximately 1 million pounds for every 90 minutes played by Arthur Melo and Fab Carvalho this season, not including their salaries. Good value.

Ha, kind of an odd thing to flag, but ok. Add in Calvin Ramsay to make it look even better.

Richarlison's done about 10 90s in the league this year, has 1 goal, and cost over 50 mil, so I guess it's all relative.
He’s on a longer contract, sells shirts, but hell yea Everton cashing them checks and the Gordon ones too

Some quick math tells me Liverpool paid approximately 1 million pounds for every 90 minutes played by Arthur Melo and Fab Carvalho this season, not including their salaries. Good value.
The Melo loan was disastrous obviously but it's way too early to conclude that Carvalho's acquisition was a bad buy. He's got plenty of talent, he's 20 years old and he cost something like 5-10m pounds.

The Melo loan was disastrous obviously but it's way too early to conclude that Carvalho's acquisition was a bad buy. He's got plenty of talent, he's 20 years old and he cost something like 5-10m pounds.
The Carvalho thing pisses me off. His career was rocketing forward at Fulham and Klopp bought him with absolutely no plan to use him because his system doesn’t even use the position Fab plays. And rather than send him on loan they put him through the “let’s injure all our shrimpy little teenagers” Liverpool academy training that y’all seem to love doing and wasted a key year of his development. Why not just loan him back to Fulham if there wasn’t a spot for him this season? He was killing it there. Seems like by all accounts the plan is to loan him out next season, but imo his agent really screwed up letting him land there at this point in his development when he should be getting full team time and starts every week. Instead he hasn’t even made the squad most weeks and has had three minutes of match time in three months. Wasteful for a player of his talent. Guess he’s on contract til 2027 so plenty of time to figure things out but as a fan of his game you want to actually watch the kid play somewhere.

the player has to take a good amount of that responsibility, doesn't he? unless Klopp lied to him about potential playing time

the player has to take a good amount of that responsibility, doesn't he? unless Klopp lied to him about potential playing time
For choosing where to go? Yes, but that’s a lot of pressure on a teenager to get right, and I’m not sure you could blame him from wanting to make the jump to a big club either, especially with agents telling him it’s the right call. No virgins in football, I’m just being bitter here. Again would love a @TexasDeac10 rant here to fill this out.

The Carvalho thing pisses me off. His career was rocketing forward at Fulham and Klopp bought him with absolutely no plan to use him because his system doesn’t even use the position Fab plays. And rather than send him on loan they put him through the “let’s injure all our shrimpy little teenagers” Liverpool academy training that y’all seem to love doing and wasted a key year of his development. Why not just loan him back to Fulham if there wasn’t a spot for him this season? He was killing it there. Seems like by all accounts the plan is to loan him out next season, but imo his agent really screwed up letting him land there at this point in his development when he should be getting full team time and starts every week. Instead he hasn’t even made the squad most weeks and has had three minutes of match time in three months. Wasteful for a player of his talent. Guess he’s on contract til 2027 so plenty of time to figure things out but as a fan of his game you want to actually watch the kid play somewhere.
Aside from his late stoppage time winner against Newcastle, which was a huge moment for him and the team, I completely agree with you. This year has been a waste, unless you believe there's enough value in training with the team for a year to miss actual game time, which is a poor argument for a guy who was already thriving in Fulham's first team. A loan would have made far more sense.

Pretty clear that the Liverpool FO last summer thoroughly misunderstood what works in Klopp's system (to be fair, I think Klopp is also occasionally guilty of this). Midfielders who work hard and play physically. Wingers who are powerful, can run in behind, run past people. 9s who can drop in, keep the ball, link play. And we got Nunez, Carvalho, and Arthur.

It'll likely cost us a CL place. Glad Ward is leaving and they're looking for someone new.

I'll add that I love Gakpo, think we needed him in the winter, and think he'll do great, but I think he was at least partially an admission that Nunez and Carvalho weren't giving us the forward play we needed.

Well if Arsenal had any slight chance of still winning the title, the news that Saliba and Zinchenko are now both confirmed out for the season comes close to ending those chances. Just true devastation along the backline, makes the reports that Arsenal are in for another CB and potentially both LB and RB in the summer more believable. Saliba won't need back surgery which is a huge silver lining, but back injuries are not to be fucked with so hopefully he rests through the summer and comes back healthy for preseason.

Back