• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2023/24 Premier League Thread

This may be because I mostly root for shitty teams but I've never been this down about a coach/manager leaving a team I support before.
Right there with you. I think that's because of what he's meant to the club, but also his character. I know he's caught flak for it and opposing fans hate him for it but the fist pumps, the emotion, the seemingly honest nature with fans. It's just been a true joy and special relationship for LFC fans. I can't even imagine where we'll be in a year. Gotta try and enjoy the next few months I guess.

Right there with you. I think that's because of what he's meant to the club, but also his character. I know he's caught flak for it and opposing fans hate him for it but the fist pumps, the emotion, the seemingly honest nature with fans. It's just been a true joy and special relationship for LFC fans. I can't even imagine where we'll be in a year. Gotta try and enjoy the next few months I guess.
All of that along with the thrilling style of play and obviously the on the field success. Every bit of it always felt like an extension of Klopp and his force of personality.

1 PL
1 Champions League
1 FA Cup
1 League Cup

8.5 seasons.

'obviously the on field success.'

He's been a good manager but this waxing poetic about a guy (mainly in the media today) that won 4 season long trophies + a Club World Cup (I'm not counting one-off hyped up friendlies as trophies won, would only add two anyway) is just a bit much. You would have thought he won multiple trophies a season on average, not half of a trophy on season on average.

I'm wasting time even doing this, as I think you are being purposefully disingenuous, but I don't think there is another manager in the world who could have accomplished what he did under these circumstances. Of course it would have been great to win a few more trophies, but we came damn close to winning two more league trophies (finished twice second with 97 and 92 points respectively), and finished runners up twice in the CL and once in Europa. He returned Liverpool to consistent contention, while (successfully) challenging the idea that a season is a failure unless you finish first.

When he took over, Liverpool was pretty crap and he didn't have much to work with. I'm not going to link to his initial lineups, but they weren't with a lot of quality. While there was/is luck involved, his transfer dealings have been really incredible, and we are set up with a competitive squad moving forward. I'm damn happy I was able to go on a lot of journeys with him. Liverpool spent a decent bit of money, but not much in comparison to the other top clubs. He did all this while FSG was busy refurbishing the stadium. He did it during COVID.

I'm wasting time even doing this, as I think you are being purposefully disingenuous, but I don't think there is another manager in the world who could have accomplished what he did under these circumstances. Of course it would have been great to win a few more trophies, but we came damn close to winning two more league trophies (finished twice second with 97 and 92 points respectively), and finished runners up twice in the CL and once in Europa. He returned Liverpool to consistent contention, while (successfully) challenging the idea that a season is a failure unless you finish first.

When he took over, Liverpool was pretty crap and he didn't have much to work with. I'm not going to link to his initial lineups, but they weren't with a lot of quality. While there was/is luck involved, his transfer dealings have been really incredible, and we are set up with a competitive squad moving forward. I'm damn happy I was able to go on a lot of journeys with him. Liverpool spent a decent bit of money, but not much in comparison to the other top clubs. He did all this while FSG was busy refurbishing the stadium. He did it during COVID.
Well said. And while a player perhaps shouldn't think this way, it's not just about trophies. Klopp's teams have just been a joy to watch. As a fan, it's been a blast to turn on the TV and watch them every week which to me is kind of the point when it comes to fandom. So while the teams that finished second with 92 and 97 points didn't lift the premier league trophy, Liverpool fans were still treated to teams that were pure pleasure to support.

Liverpool have established themselves as the main competitors to Guardiola's City during the German's time in England, and Guardiola admitted he will be happy to see the back of his rival.
"I will sleep better," he said, following City's 1-0 win over Tottenham on Friday.

i think that says it all.. without LFC much of the past 8 seasons would have been boring watching city turn the epl into the Bundesliga or Ligue 1. No thanks!

i think that says it all.. without LFC much of the past 8 seasons would have been boring watching city turn the epl into the Bundesliga or Ligue 1. No thanks!
That is just simply not true. It just isn't.

In the 8.5 seasons that Jurgen Klopp has been manager of Liverpool, Manchester City have won the Premier League 6 times.

Leicester won in his half season
Chelsea won the very next one.
Manchester City then won 5 of the last 6 seasons.

In those 5 seasons where Man City won the league, Manchester United have finished 2nd in the table just as many times as Liverpool since 2015 (twice) and finished 3rd more often. But Liverpool does have the league win, to be fair. And I'm not hanging my hat on Man United finishing 2nd a couple of times - that's not good enough - but to pretend like Liverpool were some gallant force out there stopping Man City from winning title after title is just not true. In fact, Liverpool finished inside the top 3 the exact same number of times that Man United finished inside the top 3 since Jurgen Klopp was managing Liverpool from the beginning of the season - 4 times a piece. And Man United are still undergoing their worst stretch of seasons since the early 90s and are a dysfunctional, sleeping giant. Yet, still managed as many top 3 finishes as Liverpool in the last 6 seasons where Liverpool have largely had their act together. That's crazy.

PSG, by the way, have won Ligue 1 five times in the past 6 seasons as well. Bayern have won 12 on the trot.

You are truly just a wildly unlikeable poster. Your ability to be a complete dick is unrivaled
And you are just a wildly, oversensitive poster (in my opinion). You ability to be a completely offended wussy is unrivaled.

see how that works both ways? I do! grow up, Windy and stop being a little wuss

That is just simply not true. It just isn't.

In the 8.5 seasons that Jurgen Klopp has been manager of Liverpool, Manchester City have won the Premier League 6 times.

Leicester won in his half season
Chelsea won the very next one.
Manchester City then won 5 of the last 6 seasons.

In those 5 seasons where Man City won the league, Manchester United have finished 2nd in the table just as many times as Liverpool since 2015 (twice) and finished 3rd more often. But Liverpool does have the league win, to be fair. And I'm not hanging my hat on Man United finishing 2nd a couple of times - that's not good enough - but to pretend like Liverpool were some gallant force out there stopping Man City from winning title after title is just not true. In fact, Liverpool finished inside the top 3 the exact same number of times that Man United finished inside the top 3 since Jurgen Klopp was managing Liverpool from the beginning of the season - 4 times a piece. And Man United are still undergoing their worst stretch of seasons since the early 90s and are a dysfunctional, sleeping giant. Yet, still managed as many top 3 finishes as Liverpool in the last 6 seasons where Liverpool have largely had their act together. That's crazy.

PSG, by the way, have won Ligue 1 five times in the past 6 seasons as well. Bayern have won 12 on the trot.
Also, how is this post, which is entirely about a football club and football manager that we all just watch from across an ocean being a complete dick? Literally everything in that post is factual.

This is why I think you're softer than Charmin, Windy. I simply stated facts that may or may not make Liverpool supporters view Klopp differently (my guess? it won't change a damn thing). But it is fun to rib people. Yet, you have a problem with it and feel the need to police it? Why? I'm genuinely curious.

This is just sports banter. I have my opinion, which I (usually) try to back up with facts (that fit my narrative). And the Liverpool supporters, which happen to be the folks I'm disagreeing with here, will, I'm sure, counter with their own facts that support their own narrative. And that's all fine to people that understand that we all can't agree on sports.

Nobody needs you to be a manny here making sure we all get along. A role you've seemingly given yourself for some unknown reason and is, just in my opinion, really strange.

Now please don't cry that I'm not making you feel welcome in football threads because of this post. I like seeing your opinions on the sport and what you see, and usually, you have a pretty good eye on action as it plays out in match. So please continue to post however you wish. But I will continue to make fun of you for trying to police other people with your own morals and own beliefs on what is 'good' or 'not good'. Because, I'm sorry to tell you this, you don't get to decide any of that. You're just a human like the rest of us.

just wait until dv7 is drunk and then we will get some real nice takes clark
also, you're welcome, Eddy

Maybe chime in with a take or two instead of being the judge of the rest of us and how we post? But I know judging others and not doing much yourself is pretty much your entire shtick. So, you do you, Milly.

Back