• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial Summer Transfer Thread 2011 (NWT)

These guys have cash. No one is City really at this point, but these guys haven't shown anything other than a willingness to spend to compete at everything they've done. I guess without soccer experience it's hard to tell, but I imagine the philosophy and reasoning behind their plan is similar to what they do with the Red Sox. It's a complete turnaround from Hicks and Gillet.

They are definitely going to try to get rid of players, but it is less in how much they get for them than getting a number of those guys off the books in terms of wages.

Last edited:
Another good point. We will sell more players.

I also doubt we are done. I bet we have at least 3-4 more signings up our sleeve. It's only the middle of July!

Poulsen is OUT. N'Gog is OUT. Cole is OUT. Jovanovic is OUT. Koncheskey is OUT! (WHEW) Aquilani is OUT. Meireles is OUT.

Don't think you will sell all those players.

Konchesky only brought in 1.5 mil

These guys have cash. No one is City, really at this point, but these guys haven't shown anything other than a willingness to spend to compete at everything they've done. I guess without soccer experience it's hard to tell, but I imagine the philosophy and reasoning behind their plan is similar to what they do with the Red Sox. It's a complete turnaround from Hicks and Gillet.

They are definitely going to try to get rid of players, but it is less in how much they get for them, than getting a number of those guys off the books in terms of wages.

Very fair points. All of these.

Yeah, but Konchesky brining in 1.5 is insane! It was hardly a loss. If you read between the lines it seemed as if Sunderland were ready to buy your boy Ngog for 7 mil and it was only his personal terms that held that up.

So who knows. They agreed to let Jovanovic go for nothing even though he's under contract, and he was free, but it shows that they aren't averse to being very flexible in how they are getting it done.

So you just want to forget Citeh's OTHER big signings tintin?

Lescott, Adebayour, Milner, Barry, Santa Cruz, Bellamy, JO, Robinho...

Do you think that counts against my point at all? If anything, it just helps my point. They've shed them all for little to nothing and then STILL bought more expensive players. Buying bad players for a big price has zero impact on them. Just get him off the roster and buy some more. Can't see that happening for Pool unless Henry comes upon some oil Beverly Hillbilly style.

Suarez I think will be one of the best 5-10 players in the league next year. That's the player you can look at and say, Yeah, he's a guy who can take a team to that next level.

We'll see. That's why they play the games and all that shit.

I quite like Suarez (wish we'd got him) but I have a hard time seeing him and Carroll developing a good partnership.

It's not just Henry, though he is the richest I think and he's definitely the face of it. FSG has like 15 guys in their consortium worth more than 500 million or something like that. Maybe it's 100 million. Anyway, lots of rich guys.

Yeah, but Konchesky brining in 1.5 is insane! It was hardly a loss. If you read between the lines it seemed as if Sunderland were ready to buy your boy Ngog for 7 mil and it was only his personal terms that held that up.

So who knows. They agreed to let Jovanovic go for nothing even though he's under contract, and he was free, but it shows that they aren't averse to being very flexible in how they are getting it done.

Sunderland were never going to pay 7 mil for Nogo. I refuse to believe that. 4 or 5 mil pounds at most for that dude.

Jovanovic is talented, but such a head case.

It's not just Henry, though he is the richest I think and he's definitely the face of it. FSG has like 15 guys in their consortium worth more than 500 million or something like that. Maybe it's 100 million. Anyway, lots of rich guys.

If the Downing signing happens, I'll be surprised if another player is brought in before at least 2 players leave.

Well, they also have already agreed a fee for Doni and apparently that might be back on now.

Their skillsets dont really mesh well to me. Carroll would have to vastly improve his general play cause he's got a cannon left foot and he's great in the air. Not much else though. He's definitely a project but I just wonder how long Pool can wait for that investment to come good.

Their skillsets dont really mesh well to me. Carroll would have to vastly improve his general play cause he's got a cannon left foot and he's great in the air. Not much else though. He's definitely a project but I just wonder how long Pool can wait for that investment to come good.

I don't see how that doesn't necessarily match up well with Suarez, though, but it's all good. I do remember looking at a couple of those "heat maps" for their few appearances together and I thought it was a little odd that Suarez was always the farthest forward with Carroll almost playing off of him, as much as you can tell from those things how they were actually linking up.

Youtube disclaimer of course, and yes, the trashcan thing is part of those fake promos Villa did a couple of years ago, but I do think this video gives at least a glimpse of the different things Downing can do.

Few headers, few nice right footed strikes and deliveries, attacking from both wings, running at people, combining in and around the area, just kind of diverse. Maybe they caught every time he did those things, though. I think the point, though, is that he is capable and confident of playing in a variety of ways, not being predictable.

Back