• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trader Joe's in GSO

Cool Trader Joes is looking in the Triad but I wouldn't be surprised if the zoning request at this particular location is denied.

Cool Trader Joes is looking in the Triad but I wouldn't be surprised if the zoning request at this particular location is denied.

I read a little about that in the paper this morning. I don't know the history, but this area apparently just had a zoning fight and they're expecting another one? Anyone know the history?

Truth. I'd rather drive to the north Charlotte location.

And Winston seems way more like TJ's demo than Greensboro. I know the population is obviously greater, but I'm a little surprised it's GSO over Winston, as far as we know. I tend to think both cities will get one soon.

I hear that TJ's is very interested in being at that location because it's at the Friendly Center. Friendly is the premier (non-mall) upscale shopping development in the Triad. The demo in the immediate Friendly Center area is very TJ-friendly, upper middle class types. TJ's will probably go to WS at some point but I don't think there is a retail development in WS that could compare to Friendly Center. The only thing close is Thruway and it's not very close.

I read a little about that in the paper this morning. I don't know the history, but this area apparently just had a zoning fight and they're expecting another one? Anyone know the history?

There was a big zoning fight about one block over, just west of Holden Road, and the city denied the rezoning. It's not apples to apples though. That site was (a) west of Holden and (b) had houses very close to it on three sides in a very old residential area.

This site is east of Holden Road and it is bracketed by a big church on one side and Friendly Center on the other, and it's kind of cut off from other residential in the back. I think the city sees Holden Road as a "red line" and will not allow commercial west of Holden, but I would not be surprised if they approve this rezoning although I expect some protest from the residents across the street and behind.

It's a little interesting also b/c a whole foods is opening up right next door in the sears building this coming spring. With a Taj Mateeter, Whole foods, and TJ - wouldn't that be overkill?

eta: side note on Greensboro. For all of you folks who only know a little about GSO, when I was at Wake I thought it was a crap hole of a town, and I really only knew Wendover, the coliseum, and the airport. When I got a job offer there I was very hesitant to look into it. But having lived here 6 years, I love Greensboro. It's really comical of any Winstonite mocking Greensboro b/c they are basically the same type of town.

Last edited:
It's a little interesting also b/c a whole foods is opening up right next door in the sears building this coming spring. With a Taj Mateeter, Whole foods, and TJ - wouldn't that be overkill?

eta: side note on Greensboro. For all of you folks who only know a little about GSO, when I was at Wake I thought it was a crap hole of a town, and I really only knew Wendover, the coliseum, and the airport. When I got a job offer there I was very hesitant to look into it. But having lived here 6 years, I love Greensboro. It's really comical of any Winstonite mocking Greensboro b/c they are basically the same type of town.

I think it's strange too. Grocery stores tend to make decisions based on number of households within a radius and the income of those households, and certainly take into account the competition within the radius. I bet TJs uses a larger radius for that decision than, say, Food Lion or Teeter, since people are known to drive for miles past 10 other grocery stores to hit up TJs. Friendly is essentially the epicenter of the most wealthy segment of Greensboro.

Agree with your second paragraph 100%. Greensboro looks shitty from the interstate, while Winston looks cool from the interstate. We could do a lot of good for Greensboro by cleaning up the Coliseum area especially.

The only problem is that the Teet and Whole Foods are less than a mile away.

It would probably be smarter to try to go in closer to the mall on Stratford.

They should just close the thruway teeter anyways, the cloverdale one is like two blocks away and much more convenient for all the people living in the area to get to. Then TJs can have its pick of spots at thruway.

I really have never understood how those two Harris Teeters (the one at Thruway and the one at the hospital) are both able to stay open. I don't understand why Harris Teeter opened both locations, but there is probably something I am missing. I guess the Thurway location caters to the Country Club area and then the one near the hospital caters to the hospital, West End, and Ardmore.

Well, if the rumors are true about GSO, then they are going to build one within about 500 yards of a Teet and a Whole Foods. So apparently that does not deter them at all. Maybe they don't really consider those stores to be direct competition, TJs is kind of its own micro-category.

I hear that TJ's is very interested in being at that location because it's at the Friendly Center. Friendly is the premier (non-mall) upscale shopping development in the Triad. The demo in the immediate Friendly Center area is very TJ-friendly, upper middle class types. TJ's will probably go to WS at some point but I don't think there is a retail development in WS that could compare to Friendly Center. The only thing close is Thruway and it's not very close.

Plus Thruway already has a grocery store.

I would think that around Mooney Street would be their best bet for close to the mall but not close to another grocery store.

Well, if the rumors are true about GSO, then they are going to build one within about 500 yards of a Teet and a Whole Foods. So apparently that does not deter them at all. Maybe they don't really consider those stores to be direct competition, TJs is kind of its own micro-category.

TJ's doesn't really "compete" with other grocery stores in the sense of Lowes vs HT. TJ's isn't where you go when you realize you're a few ingredients short for dinner, to buy toilet paper/deodorant, for fresh meat/deli/bread, etc. That said, if it's a convenient location for one store, it's a convenient location for another. Even stores that do compete often end up in the same place (see Home Depot and Lowes).

I really have never understood how those two Harris Teeters (the one at Thruway and the one at the hospital) are both able to stay open. I don't understand why Harris Teeter opened both locations, but there is probably something I am missing.

Keeps their competitors away.

There was a big zoning fight about one block over, just west of Holden Road, and the city denied the rezoning. It's not apples to apples though. That site was (a) west of Holden and (b) had houses very close to it on three sides in a very old residential area.

This site is east of Holden Road and it is bracketed by a big church on one side and Friendly Center on the other, and it's kind of cut off from other residential in the back. I think the city sees Holden Road as a "red line" and will not allow commercial west of Holden, but I would not be surprised if they approve this rezoning although I expect some protest from the residents across the street and behind.

Aren't there houses there now?

Having lived in Greensboro for a couple years in grad school, it really is very similar to Winston. People act like the two are different and so far away from each other when it only takes about 30 minutes to drive between them.

I mean downtown G'boro is a shithole, as is the Coliseum area. That's all I need to know. Plus they don't have any water.

I mean downtown G'boro is a shithole, as is the Coliseum area. That's all I need to know. Plus they don't have any water.

Downtown Greensboro used to be a shithole, but it has had quite the renaissance, just like Winston.

And the WS coliseum area is pretty much a shithole too.

Downtown Greensboro used to be a shithole, but it has had quite the renaissance, just like Winston.

And the WS coliseum area is pretty much a shithole too.

I'll give you that the Coliseum areas are comparable, however downtown Winston is a lot better than downtown Greensboro. Outside of that Natty Greene's there is nothing worth going to in downtown G'boro. And trust me I've tried.

One of my best friends took a job there 6 months ago, lives right downtown, and absolutely hates it. He spends half his night trying not to get stabbed or mugged.

Back