• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trader Joe's in GSO

Plus Thruway already has a grocery store.

And don't forget that Thruway once housed a Fresh Market, which took its ball across town to a higher income demographic.

I still think the ideal location for TJ's would be downtown Winston. There are zero grocery options for the "few" residents who live down there, but keep in mind the amount of foot traffic generated by its non-residents on a daily basis. Which building would it occupy? I have no clue, but I've been in a TJ's that was below street level in the tiniest and most cramped of locations.

I really have never understood how those two Harris Teeters (the one at Thruway and the one at the hospital) are both able to stay open. I don't understand why Harris Teeter opened both locations, but there is probably something I am missing. I guess the Thurway location caters to the Country Club area and then the one near the hospital caters to the hospital, West End, and Ardmore.

Like Racer said, it preemptively keeps competitors from taking a site. Also, there is a limit to how much a business a store can do without becoming inefficient to operate or having empty shelves. Another store closeby takes some of the pressure off of a store.

I have six Harris Teeters within 2.5 miles of my house. There used to be seven. Two of the stores are currently in the process of being expanded. They have almost completely sealed the market up, with the only other competition being a Food Lion (former Bi-Lo) on the edge of the neighborhood, a Trader Joe's, and EarthFare. I actually typically shop at the store 2.25 miles from my house due to drive time and traffic patterns.

Like Racer said, it preemptively keeps competitors from taking a site. Also, there is a limit to how much a business a store can do without becoming inefficient to operate or having empty shelves. Another store closeby takes some of the pressure off of a store.

And most of them a packed between 5-6:30 in any city I've been to.

I have six Harris Teeters within 2.5 miles of my house. There used to be seven. Two of the stores are currently in the process of being expanded. They have almost completely sealed the market up, with the only other competition being a Food Lion (former Bi-Lo) on the edge of the neighborhood, a Trader Joe's, and EarthFare. I actually typically shop at the store 2.25 miles from my house due to drive time and traffic patterns.

Between that information and Google Maps, I think I can pinpoint the block you live on.

Looking forward to the upgrade/expansion of the HT in my neck of the woods. Gotta be the worst traffic/parking/store size combination ever and it still does tons of business.

And don't forget that Thruway once housed a Fresh Market, which took its ball across town to a higher income demographic.

I still think the ideal location for TJ's would be downtown Winston. There are zero grocery options for the "few" residents who live down there, but keep in mind the amount of foot traffic generated by its non-residents on a daily basis. Which building would it occupy? I have no clue, but I've been in a TJ's that was below street level in the tiniest and most cramped of locations.

I agree that it should go right by downtown Winston. There's a parking lot that they could stick it near Krankies. If they put it on that lot at North Chestnut and 2nd St, that would be good.

TJ's typically have shitty parking situations anyhow, so that's not really a consideration when choosing location.

And most of them a packed between 5-6:30 in any city I've been to.

Between that information and Google Maps, I think I can pinpoint the block you live on.

Looking forward to the upgrade/expansion of the HT in my neck of the woods. Gotta be the worst traffic/parking/store size combination ever and it still does tons of business.

Yeah, that store is 2.75 miles from my house as the crow flies, so it wasn't on my list. I don't know if you ever saw it 10 years ago before the current iteration of that store. It was about half the current size and the clientele was very sketchy. Either way, they totally screwed the pooch when they did that addition to the extent that I think they'd be better off demolishing what they ahve and starting over.

I'll give you that the Coliseum areas are comparable, however downtown Winston is a lot better than downtown Greensboro. Outside of that Natty Greene's there is nothing worth going to in downtown G'boro. And trust me I've tried.

One of my best friends took a job there 6 months ago, lives right downtown, and absolutely hates it. He spends half his night trying not to get stabbed or mugged.

I will concede that Winston's downtown is more appealing than Greensboro's but it is certainly not a huge difference. And LOL at your buddy and his desperate attempts to stave off the criminal element in downtown Greensboro. If he wants to be a hader that's fine but I, and everyone I know, feel completely safe in downtown GSO late night.

Yeah, that store is 2.75 miles from my house as the crow flies, so it wasn't on my list. I don't know if you ever saw it 10 years ago before the current iteration of that store. It was about half the current size and the clientele was very sketchy. Either way, they totally screwed the pooch when they did that addition to the extent that I think they'd be better off demolishing what they ahve and starting over.

That was just before I moved to CLT, so I never saw it.

The latest plan calls for a total tear-down and rebuild, bringing the building out to the corner ("urban style") and moving all of the parking to the back. Two stories with an outdoor eating area and garden up top that has a downtown view. They've had the soil testing equipment parked on the grass area in the corner for a few months now...guess there was an old gas station there in the past?

http://underoak.blogspot.com/2011/06/harris-teeter-files-rezoning.html

I will concede that Winston's downtown is more appealing than Greensboro's but it is certainly not a huge difference. And LOL at your buddy and his desperate attempts to stave off the criminal element in downtown Greensboro. If he wants to be a hader that's fine but I, and everyone I know, feel completely safe in downtown GSO late night.

Really, nobody is going to confuse downtown GSO with the hood. And there are bars and restaurants and music spots in downtown GSO just like WS.

The main difference in the two is that business 40 runs right through downtown W-S making it a little more marketable place than downtown GSO. Winston has picked up its game in the last 5 years or so and Greensboro lags behind a bit, but not that much.

I really have never understood how those two Harris Teeters (the one at Thruway and the one at the hospital) are both able to stay open. I don't understand why Harris Teeter opened both locations, but there is probably something I am missing. I guess the Thurway location caters to the Country Club area and then the one near the hospital caters to the hospital, West End, and Ardmore.

I live in Ardmore and I go to the Cloverdale Harris Teeter, because it is that much better

I live in Ardmore and I go to the Cloverdale Harris Teeter, because it is that much better

I agree. I just don't understand the smaller one at Thruway. It doesn't have a lot of the features that most Harris Teeters have.

I live in W-S near Thruway.

Used to love to shop at Fresh Market. Now, since they moved, I mostly shop at Whole Foods or HT (mostly at Thruway but sometimes at Cloverdale). Or at the Lowes that's by the Tae Kwon Do place my kids attend.

I've wondered if Fresh Market is really doing better at their new location. ??

Would love to see a TJs in W-S.

I've wondered if Fresh Market is really doing better at their new location. ??

Would love to see a TJs in W-S.
I think they are probably doing better at the new location. They still capture a lot of the buena vista area but also pick up a ton of people living off of peace haven and robinhood that probably rarely went to the thruway location. It is almost always crowded when I go, which is much more often since it is much closer to my house now.

Greensboro seems too spread out like it expected to become a larger city. Instead it is just miserable to get around unless you live inside because of how the 40s work, Bryan Blvd, and Wendover.

Greensboro is difficult to get around in?

Good lord, I live out by the airport and get be sitting in my office downtown in 15 minutes.

Bump...One of my friends is spearheading the effort to bring TJs to Greensboro. They have a petition available at http://greensborotraderjoes.com/ if you'd like to sign it.

Apparently, TJs has looked around in GSO several times for a lot to build on; the spot that they're really looking at is the spot on the corner of Hobbs and Friendly. There are 6 houses on that land right now, but none of them are all that nice/well maintained. The homeowners actually WANT to sell their homes as a package to the developer, but the zoning board and city council are dragging their heels on it.

Back