• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Transgender Athletes

I guess I fit right into that "I don't know what I feel" about this law. What bothers me most is it seems like it another one of those pieces of legislation, legislating a "problem" that never existed.
But does it? I honestly have no idea. And yes, that parents want 5-8 year old kids to focus on the ABC's, doesn't surprise me.

The problem with this law is that no teacher is presenting lessons about sexuality and gender to 3rd grade and under kids, but under this the law, if a students asks a teacher about something and the teacher responds, the teacher is fucked. It vilifies the educator for being compassionate and responsive to students that are struggling with deep and important questions about who they are. It creates an environment of mistrust. It's one thing for the government to say "This subject will not be a part of our curriculum!" and it is a very different thing for the government to say "This subject is banned from our schools and if it comes up parents can sue the school and the teacher for damages and harm!"

If a 2nd grader asks a teacher, "Are you gay?" what is the teacher supposed to say?

Does this law restrict discussion of heterosexual marriage or just homosexual marriage?

If a 2nd grader asks a teacher, "Are you gay?" what is the teacher supposed to say?

Does this law restrict discussion of heterosexual marriage or just homosexual marriage?

"That's not an appropriate discussion for this classroom."

It's really pretty easy to tell children no.

Yes yes. Children are famous for not asking more questions after you tell them no.

My students ask me if I'm a liberal or a democrat on a weekly basis, fwiw.

yes, kids will ask more questions but also "thats not an appropriate question" is a legit answer for...checks notes....people, not just kids

Yes yes. Children are famous for not asking more questions after you tell them no.

And yet you don't have to answer them even if they annoy you.

"No" is a complete sentence.

"That's not an appropriate discussion for this classroom."

It's really pretty easy to tell children no.

Pretty awesome to be returning to the days where being gay is an inappropriate thing to openly talk about. Little gay kids are going to secretly feel really good about them selves!

Can teachers refer to the gender of their spouse without telling their students whether they are gay or not?

Apparently I'm too old to imbed that tweet. Somebody fix it for me.

LK, so if a child ask a teacher if they have a husband or wife, how should they respond?

Are teachers now not allowed to share information about their personal lives?

LK, so if a child ask a teacher if they have a husband or wife, how should they respond?

Are teachers now not allowed to share information about their personal lives?

I mean, do you want the real answer on what they tell us, because that answer is no. It's inappropriate and unprofessional of us to share aspects of our personal lives with our students. But then we also have to forge real relationships and demonstrate that we care about our students, so.

You mean parents don't think elementary school should be teaching their kids about sexual orientation and gender identity? Shocking.

That's about as much of a real issue/problem in schools as CRT - it's just another bullshit wedge issue to get the base (and in this case even some Democrats) worked up about. A good many Republicans, like the press secretary for DeSantis, have made it clear that they seem to believe that elementary school teachers are actually "grooming" kids to be gay or transgender. They also seem to think that if kids aren't allowed to ask questions or learn about this in elementary school then they won't "turn" gay or lesbian or whatever when they get older because, as we all know, you only become gay or lesbian or transgender if you're a pervert or have been groomed to be one. Just don't allow people to discuss or talk about it and it's problem solved!

Back