• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Transgender Athletes

It's not about the accommodations, to people like Renault and pinocha (and Liquid Karma and Back to Back apparently) it is the "otherwise qualified". To them someone like Lia Thomas does not satisfy the physical or eligibility requirements for participation in women's sports.
You aren't going to ever convince me that Lia Thomas isn't a selfish bitch who used her transition to vault her into first place. She transitioned mid-college career and the timing is clearly suspect. She also looks like a battle axe and could have dealt with her hormones before or after her collegiate swimming career (before would have been ideal, but looking like she does, she may as well have waited).

I also think you guys are being a little too dismissive of 2&2's point about the ADA. Upon further reading:
Trans people living with gender dysphoria in Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina are covered through the federal disability law due to a 4th circuit decision. And a Colorado judge, which falls under the 10th circuit, recently cited the ruling so there is hope of expansion of coverage.
In order to access HRT, trans people already have to get diagnosed with gender dysphoria, which sets them up for a disability.
Surgeries and HRT are a "treatment" to gender dysphoria.. treating a disability

So you can either bash your head against the wall and try to get people to "see you" or validate your existence to change (stop) laws, or just take the shortcut and gain federal protection through the ADA.

I know what I would do. And it sounds like the key is access to HRT at a young age to keep your daughter from looking like Lia Thomas!

I cannot believe the amount of manpower (and womanpower) being wasted by state and federal legislatures on implementing laws that maybe impact fewer than double digit Americans.

It's just mindboggling the stupidity we are seeing on display here.

I would say fewer than ten people in America have transitioned to gain an advantage for competing. The payoff is so low compared to the hell they get on a day-to-day basis (in person and from keyboard warriors on here) for transitioning is just not even close to being worth it.

If there were 10 Americans who decided to get a third leg surgically implanted on their body so they could run faster in a 100 meter dash in the NAIA, would we be focused on banning that at all at a Congressional level? I highly, highly doubt it. There would be absolutely no traction at all for national widespread panic.

does the NAIA have a lot of small religious schools in it? I can't understand the argument of mediocre male athletes "pretending to be women" to go dominate in the women's NAIA. if any old guy from the Y could dominate in women's hoops, why wouldn't you go D1?

I cannot believe the amount of manpower (and womanpower) being wasted by state and federal legislatures on implementing laws that maybe impact fewer than double digit Americans.

I would say fewer than ten people in America have transitioned to and gained an advantage for competing. The payoff is so low compared to the hell they get on a day-to-day basis (in person and from keyboard warriors on here) for transitioning is just not even close to being worth it.

If there were 10 Americans who decided to get a third leg surgically implanted on their body so they could run faster in a 100 meter dash in the NAIA, would we be focused on banning that at all at a Congressional level? I highly, highly doubt it. There would be absolutely no traction at all for national widespread panic.

I suspect any advantage gained is more incidental than a primary motive...???

You aren't going to ever convince me that Lia Thomas isn't a selfish bitch who used her transition to vault her into first place. She transitioned mid-college career and the timing is clearly suspect. She also looks like a battle axe and could have dealt with her hormones before or after her collegiate swimming career (before would have been ideal, but looking like she does, she may as well have waited).
???

have you ever had a single conversation with someone who is trans

I would say fewer than ten people in America have transitioned to gain an advantage for competing. The payoff is so low compared to the hell they get on a day-to-day basis (in person and from keyboard warriors on here) for transitioning is just not even close to being worth it.

Lia Thomas impacted the medal stand at an NCAA championship and stole a partial scholarship from a woman swimmer at an Ivy League school. While the NCAA just acquiesced, USA Swimming has imposed stricter monitoring of trans athletes and is now monitoring testosterone levels of these athletes. She's also suing to try to overturn a ban on biological males competing in the Olympics. So whether or not it's the individuals competing, the governments, or the governing bodies of these sports, somebody's going to be affected. So saying no one is impacted is the absolute lamest argument one could make. Ignoring an issue doesn't solve it. Lia Thomas's win was an absolute farce.,

Perhaps, but not meeting a far left orthodoxy on an issue does not equal stupidity. People have seen this in action and thought about it and support for trans athletes has declined over two years. Americans are more than twice as likely to oppose trans athletes playing on the team of their current gender identity. There's no reason to act like this is a settled issue in people's minds and that you're in the majority.
1712772855461.png

I don't disagree. That's still not related to those who have transitioned and enjoy an unfair advantage.

Pointless strawman.

biggest rhetorical move antitrans rhetoric seems to take is to oversimplify everything trans, from the medical procedures to the lived experiences/social difficulties people who are trans face

it's part of why libsoftiktok is so popular - it's all surface level; easy to consume and share

Perhaps, but not meeting a far left orthodoxy on an issue does not equal stupidity. People have seen this in action and thought about it and support for trans athletes has declined over two years. Americans are more than twice as likely to oppose trans athletes playing on the team of their current gender identity. There's no reason to act like this is a settled issue in people's minds and that you're in the majority.
View attachment 8916

I'm sure this has absolutely nothing to do with the media increasingly spreading misinformation on this topic over this 2 year period (besides the obvious culprits like FOX news and alt right orgs, you also have the NYT platforming bigots like Pamela Paul and spreading complete falsehoods on a regular basis - see: https://nytletter.com/) 🙄

I'm sure this has absolutely nothing to do with the media increasingly spreading misinformation on this topic over this 2 year period (besides the obvious culprits like FOX news and alt right orgs, you also have the NYT platforming bigots like Pamela Paul and spreading complete falsehoods on a regular basis - see: https://nytletter.com/) 🙄

That's the response I was expecting -- "Oh look, the opposition to trans athletes has increased because bigots are talking about it !!!" Instead of -- "Now that I've seen this in action and how it's going to work, this doesn't seem like the greatest idea to have biological men who have taken a series of shots competing against women."

And who the hell do you think pays for and reads editorials in the NY Times ?

I don't disagree. That's still not related to those who have transitioned and enjoy an unfair advantage.
You mean like allowing Lia Thomas and her male genitalia into the women's locker room at an NCAA event ?

Biff, I don’t know how familiar you are with swimming, but having a dick doesn’t help. So before you get back on your bullshit, please decide whether or not you want to make an “eww, men shouldn’t dress up as ladies” argument, or whether you want to argue about swimming.

Biff, I don’t know how familiar you are with swimming, but having a dick doesn’t help. So before you get back on your bullshit, please decide whether or not you want to make an “eww, men shouldn’t dress up as ladies” argument, or whether you want to argue about swimming.

I swam competitively through high school.

i'm digging biff's attempt to position himself as the voice of reason on this issue specifically

Back